Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
For Shampoo use Johnsons baby shampoo.... Yes you read that right, very effective cleaner and won't strip your wax.

For wax, I've recently started using the Collinite 476 permanent wax. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

As for being cheap....

Baby shampoo ?2 and lasts a good month or so with weekly washing.

Collinite, about ?16 but should last about 2+ years with monthly waxing.

There are more exotic brews available and no doubt I will be corrected but this works for me.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If your after durability then i cant recommend Collinite #476 enough, an application of this every month or two will have your motor looking spot on. For your regular weekly wash use something such as Chemical Guys Maxi Suds (?6) or even the baby shampoo like ctp says. Dry using a microfibre (Sonus Der Wonder Drying towels are probably the best - 2 for ?18) and then top up the wax/protection with something like Chemical Guys InstaWax which you spray onto a microfibre, wipe on and leave to haze and wipe off so takes literally 10mins to do the whole car.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Following on from what Andy & CTP said, you cant beat the 476 for long life.

The johnsons baby shampoo is ok for summer, IMO, but come the winter you need something able to ship the increased road crud about, I'm using the Chemical guys max suds as andy suggests at the moment & thats good stuff, but as far as value for money & qty goes, you cant get much better than the Meguairs NXT, ?13 for a bottle that lasts even me several months.

For inbetween waxes, use some quick detailer to get it lookin "just waxed" again after washing

Dont forget your tyres & trim, Meguiars endurance gel will be fine for both of these, super long lasting.

No point waxing if you aint doin the tyres, your only doin half a job.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Jace - Dont know if you've read over on DetailingWorld that some members suggest NXT shampoo is a pretty harsh shampoo can some consider it to strip wax more than other gentle shampoo (one of the reason Polished Bliss stopped stocking it) . But seeing as its winter and like you said the levels of crud are high might well be a more suitable winter shampoo.

Totally agree with dressing the tyres, makes sure your efforts aren't let down by brown tyres. If your after a wheel cleaner Andy then I've just run a group buy for Meguiars Wheel Brightener which is awesome stuff for removing brake dust and general road crap, I still got a few 500ml samples (which makes 2.5litres) remaining if your interested, PM me for more details.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I use johnson's baby bath - lots of bubbles, cleans well too.

But I don't use my car a lot - so the type of dirt on it is from rain water that has dried and left muddy spots everywhere.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Andy,

Yea I read that, but to be honest I've used NXT in the past with no real issues, other than NXT you could use GOLD CLASS I guess......

I would imagine even NXT in super strong solution wouldnt touch Collinite for at least 5-6 washes

I'll wash her Collinted Corsa on saturday with NXT & see how it does, it hasnt been washed since I applied it almost 3 weeks ago [:$] & post up the results.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
For wheels, most people use poorboys wheel sealant - lasts the high temps from brake dust and makes it easier to clean your wheels.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks everyone!

couldnt believe the amounr of replies when I checked. and even better, most people seem to be agreeing!![:p]

so i think i'l try this combination out:

Chemical Boys Maxi Suds II (dont wan to chance ruining my collinite work with NXT) on with a Lambswool mitt(worth it?) (Then maybe Johnsons for the summer) weekly - Yeah sounds like a plan to me [y], certainly worth investing in a mitt

Dry off with a waffle weave towel - maybe sonus wonder dry depending on price - Again [y], cheaper alternative are the Meg's water magnet or Poorboys Waffle Weave

chemical boys instawax on and off with a microfibre weekly - [y] or as jace said use a detail spray

Endurance gel on bumpers and tyres with a microfibre weekly - [y] exactly what I do but a quick tip is instead of using a microfibre get an old sponge and cut a 2cm x 2cm cube and use that instead. I found the microfibre soaked up alot of product so alot of wastage plus i find the product is easier to spread around the tyre using a sponge

then collinite 476 once a month - [y] apply using a foam or microfibre pad

its gonna be a little more than I had started out after I convert prices to euro and pay for shipping - dont know where I can get any of this locally besides the towels and mitt in Halfords, and maybe collinite? - If you after online shops then click the link after my signature - traders i've used are Alex at Serious Performance, Tim @ CleanYourCar, Johnny at Clean&Shiney & David at CarWaxnWax.

Cheers for the offer of the groupbuy andy - but I'm not sure if i need wheel brightener now - the wheels are 3 weeks old (New style R32s from Wheelbase), I stuck a coat of Hard Shell wax on them the day I got them and its still working so they look as good now as they did a whole 3 weeks ago! would I need brightener then? or is it more for restoring a shine after a long time? - Nah if you've protected your wheels from day one and keep on applying that protection then they shouldnt need a product like Wheel Brightener, the dirt/grim should just come of with your normal shampoo but use a different mitt for the wheels. Wax for wheels - Poorboys Wheel Sealant or Chemical Guys Wheel Guard, the standard wax you'd use on the car bodywork wouldnt hold up to the temperature the wheels are subjected to.

Another thing you might need is 3-4 microfibre cloths to remove wax. I dont know if you've thought about cleaning the car windows, for this is use AutoGlym Fast Glass, heard the Meg's NXT glass stuff is good to.

that does leave me with a question about what to use on the wheels tho, maxisuds and instawax too be okay?

Thanks everyone for your time

Andy

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi Andy

I agree with what everyone has said.

You say you are using a sponge, think its time to change from a sponge as it can scratch the paint with little stones and road crud. See about getting a lambs wool mit. Much better for the paint

Tam

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
first of all buy trade, dont bother with halfords motorworld etc, try and find a motor accessories cash and carry

i use tfr on the wheels (traffic film remover) and brick acid!!!

the TFR costs ?25 for a 1.5 ltr tub that dilues to 30 litres... you then use this 20 to 1 as and when you use it.. Mine has lasted 3 years and I have 3 cars and a van to do...

If the wheels are really bad use B&Q brick acid, its the same as all othere acid cleaners on the market (active inngredient is hydrocloric acid) just stronger again just water it down to 50-1 and wear latex glovers and some glasses.

For the bodywork baby shampoo is OK , but I sometimes use a Wash and Go type shampoo, the conditioner contains silicones that most car waxes use, and so the shampoo isnt harsh on silicon. Ideally though get a trade pack of Autoglym shampoo, some dont rate but long term I have had great results especially the fact that it doesnt seem to gade plastics and keeps them tip top.

I have been using the megs quick clay and QD but when this ran out I found that Autoglym shampoo and mineral water worked well as a lube.

For bodywork have the Megs nxt and a bargain is the 3M imperial handglaze most bodyshop suppliers sell it in 1 ltr bottle for less than a tenner.

admittedly I dont get the result Jace does BUT I dont spend one tenth the time..I am sure given the time I could get near enough the same results.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
the TFR costs ?25 for a 1.5 ltr tub that dilues to 30 litres... you then use this 20 to 1 as and when you use it.. Mine has lasted 3 years and I have 3 cars and a van to do...
You must be buying it from the wrong place Andy

I get 25ltrs for about ?20

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You must be buying it from the wrong place Andy

I get 25ltrs for about ?20
Was thinking that myself..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
the stuff i get is a high concentrate, you get the same amount once its in your 30 ltr tub, it comes in a big sachet and needs latex gloves and glasses for handling.

basically it then gets filled with water so you have your standard 20 odd litres which you then water down again as you use it..I guesss its done to make shipping and handling easier.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
is yours the caustic or non caustic one andy?? as on your new r i wouldnt be using the TFR at all just be using the gilmour foam lance with super snow foam shampoo and karcher jet it off [:D] keep it nice and dandy throughout the winter months..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
is yours the caustic or non caustic one andy?? as on your new r i wouldnt be using the TFR at all just be using the gilmour foam lance with super snow foam shampoo and karcher jet it off [:D] keep it nice and dandy throughout the winter months..

Sat [y]
tell me more whats this foam lance... sounds easy, and lazy which I like.... its non caustic by the way...I like my blue calipers[;)]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers for the links simon. i could only find the chemical guys stuff on carwashnwax, good to know somewhere else to compare prices etc. and the instawax is ?5 cheaper!!

i was saying i would go for the collinite 476 for $13 on ebay from the US compared to ?14.95 from elite (approx $25?), so thats a good saving - i think(!) theyre the same size

i was talking about megs nxt endurance gel, recommened by Jace for the tyres and trim.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts