Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the auto dimming function on or off with the little green light?

The handbook says auto dim is ON when green light is OFF

but, mine seems to work the other way round???

·
Registered
178 Posts
According my version of the manual 'The warning lamp will light up when
the automatic anti-dazzle function is swtiched on'. This is in
print version Aug 2004

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine says "The warning lamp will light up when the anti-dazzle function is switched off".

Handbook says 'Print status 11.2003' on rear.

How strange!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
My car was registered by Bradford VW on 25/5/05 on landing in UK.

I have a loose leaf "Technical Supplement" at the back of the "Filofax" manual, dated 10.2004.

It states:

AUTOMATIC ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR MIRROR
Contrary to the information provided in the booklet Controls and Equipment, the warning lamp in the interior mirror is SWITCHED OFF if the anti-dazzle function of the interior mirror is switched off.

(I always knew it was worth while reading the manual [8-|])

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes - light on, anti-dazzle function on.

Works really well at night, I'd say anti-dazzle side mirrors would also be worth it.

You can make it dim during the day to check it works by putting your hand over the light sensor on the front left hand side of the mirror, i.e. plastic cover towards the screen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Anyone got the auto-dimming side mirrors?.. it's just that the auto-dimming is set to drivers side only! Is this right? You can tell mirrors that have auto dimming by the strange greeny grey tint they go, but like I said only my drivers side has it.. can this be right?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
erm i know mine works and dims ok , but not seen any green lights where are they ?

doh you lot are mkv's forget what said lol

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Anyone got the auto-dimming side mirrors?.. it's just that the auto-dimming is set to drivers side only! Is this right? You can tell mirrors that have auto dimming by the strange greeny grey tint they go, but like I said only my drivers side has it.. can this be right?
I have them - comes with Luxury pack 2. Both external mirrors are auto dimming and work really well. You can tell which cars have these as the mirrors have a thin black plastic frame within the external housing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm pretty sure the auto-dimming side/door mirrors was for both sides, not just the drivers side.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm sure they can retro-fit the mirrors...
I ordered my car with them & it showed up with one side without them!

They ensure me it's a 20 min job to replace the missing dimmable mirror..

I guess the wiring is already in place in the mirror housing & all we're paying for is the light sensitive glass panels!

I will watch them do it next week & let you know, coz you could order the parts & probably do it yourself. (i'll also ask them how much the mirror panels are just in case i break one etc..)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great stuff Rotara ,thanks for the information.

The reason I ask is because it is not an option in Ireland and would be a useful extra.

JD

·
Registered
423 Posts
Right, just arrived back from the main dealership.

There's good & bad news on the retro fitting of the auto dimming door mirrors.

Good news is that yes it can be done.. ONLY if the wiring loom supports the dimming mirror. If you've got folding mirrors then the wiring is already there but if you haven't then they will have to connect up to the diagnostics port to see if there's a feed.. (don't ask me how they can tell, but they can apparently!)

Bad news is that if there's no wiring in place then it can't be done. Even if it is there... (here's the heart stopper).. the mirror panels alone are ?150 EACH SIDE! & that doesn't include fitting!

The service manager smiles as he told me almost all of his customers who have cracked or broken auto dimming mirrors replace them with plain glass! ?30 Vs ?150 what would you do?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If it was the drivers side I would pay up and keep the auto dimming. function.

Rotara - have they fitted your 'missing' mirror?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow ?150 for each mirror panel....I don't think I'll be retro fitting these mirrors :)

Thanks Rotara for the information and I'm sure you are glad you got yours sorted :)

JD

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mark V

They have to order it in..
Given we're right on christmas they are telling me mid-jan.
I don't mind, coz it's only a minor niggly issue & it's on the passenger side, but they'l need the car for the whole day!!!? So I insisted on a replacement vehicle. It's all being done under VW warranty & Wolfsburg will eventually bear the costs etc..

Funny coz the service manager also said they had a new Polo in the other day & sold it to a customer 2 weeks later the customer phoned in saying they only had one fog lamp & is this right? The service manager said yes, it's normal one side is the fog lamp the other is the reverse lamp.. The customer said No, I meant the front fog lamp!.. Anyway when he returned the car back to the dealer indeed one side had the fog lamp & the side had the correct Polo blanking trim! The dealer said heaven knows what they get up to in the factory!! But what i would like to know is what the hell do the dealers get up to when they say they carry out a PDI?!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mark V They have to order it in.. Given we're right on christmas they are telling me mid-jan. I don't mind, coz it's only a minor niggly issue & it's on the passenger side, but they'l need the car for the whole day!!!? So I insisted on a replacement vehicle. It's all being done under VW warranty & Wolfsburg will eventually bear the costs etc.. Funny coz the service manager also said they had a new Polo in the other day & sold it to a customer 2 weeks later the customer phoned in saying they only had one fog lamp & is this right? The service manager said yes, it's normal one side is the fog lamp the other is the reverse lamp.. The customer said No, I meant the front fog lamp!.. Anyway when he returned the car back to the dealer indeed one side had the fog lamp & the side had the correct Polo blanking trim! The dealer said heaven knows what they get up to in the factory!! But what i would like to know is what the hell do the dealers get up to when they say they carry out a PDI?!!
Good grief [:|]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The dealer said heaven knows what they get up to in the factory!! But what i would like to know is what the hell do the dealers get up to when they say they carry out a PDI?!!
Heh agreed - but I hate asking questions that I'm sure I don't wanna hear the answers to [:cool:]

One thing I'm not keen on - cars with only one rear foggy - not as easy as planting yourself between the middle of two (on the same car!) [;)]

C

·
Registered
423 Posts
agreed, 2's always better than one & I quite like when you have 2 reverse lights as sometimes they help illuminate what's behind you. but remember CkB, it's generally bad practise to hang on to the rear lights of the car infront..!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts