Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i was driving to work and went through a 50 speed camera around 60 i think not sure. but about 15 meters after the lines they double flashed, and there was a car 10m behind me which i thought wasnt going any faster than me. just wondering just to make sure as i get very para about these situations, do the cameras only flash when you are on the lines? or after? cheers

myk3

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have seen the same thing happen a few times when I have been close to the camera and within the speed limit. I suspect something may fool them in to taking a picture or it assumes a longer object is going faster than it should - ie an darticulated lorry that should be doing 50mph.

The markings on the road would prove your innocence so do not worry.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the same thing happen a few times when I have been close to the camera and within the speed limit. I suspect something may fool them in to taking a picture or it assumes a longer object is going faster than it should - ie an darticulated lorry that should be doing 50mph.

what i am saying is i dont think i was on the lines what so ever there for they cant work out the speed i was going. i will double check that i was not on the lines later. i just need to no for sure that the cameras will only flash you if you are on the lines. cheers

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
no mate as long as you arent on the lines there is no way they can measure how fast you are going orless it was a digital speed camera ( dark blue colour not the grey gatso type) also just a little note-- if you go tawards a camera and get flashed they are not alowed to do anything (if it is a picture taking type camera) something to do with human rights act and not being alowed to use a photo with your face on. but there a re some cameras now that can just take pictures of the front of the car where the plate is.another note-- if you dont get any letter/fine through within 2 weeks there not alowed to do anything about it.

got all this of a road law/speed camera site ill try and find the link.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Gatsos use radar to measure the speed and this is confirmed by the markings on the road

Radar on it's own is not reliable enough on an unmanned device because the spread of radar is so broad, which is why you can set off the camera going the opposite way

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

what i am saying is i dont think i was on the lines what so ever there for they cant work out the speed i was going. i will double check that i was not on the lines later. i just need to no for sure that the cameras will only flash you if you are on the lines. cheers
you can get flashed when not on the lines it happened to me.. i put my foot down a little just on the camera and it flashed wen i got of them i was about 10 foot minimum of the lines. no worries mate

·
Registered
236 Posts
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk will give you lots of info and advice concerning speed cameras etc, and heres a small quote.....

I have recently been flashed by a Gatso camera, what happens next? The Police have 14 days to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). They also get an allowance of a couple of days for the post to deliver it. So if its more than 17days since you were flashed they are too late to prosecute you, unless you were driving a company car, hire car or someone elses car. In these circumstances they are allowed more time to track you down.

There might also be some info regarding being outside of the road markings, so a detailed perusal might be a good idea.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
does anybody know exactly what those dark blue CCTV look a like cameras do??????  bit off topicish i know.  sorry

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
does anybody know exactly what those dark blue CCTV look a like cameras do?????? bit off topicish i know. sorry
If you're talking abou the blue and black things that "hang" off bridges and what not over motorways and major A roads, they're traffic monitors (as per gray's comments above), that hook into things like Highways, Trafficmaster - basically traffic monitoring to provide phone updates, tomtom updates, andstuff like that on real time traffic. They aren't (atm anyway!) dangerous to you driving 10 over the limit [:)]

C

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk will give you lots of info and advice concerning speed cameras etc, and heres a small quote.....

I have recently been flashed by a Gatso camera, what happens next? The Police have 14 days to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). They also get an allowance of a couple of days for the post to deliver it. So if its more than 17days since you were flashed they are too late to prosecute you, unless you were driving a company car, hire car or someone elses car. In these circumstances they are allowed more time to track you down.
You also need to make sure that the NIP is sent using either first class, recorded or special delivery. A NIP sent by second class post is not valid and you do not have to incriminate yourself

·
Registered
387 Posts
does anybody know exactly what those dark blue CCTV look a like cameras do?????? bit off topicish i know. sorry
Traffic Master cameras - work out the traffic speed and used for jam indication etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are some new ones around I have seen on road work sites which look like CCTV cameras with infra red on the side.  They work not by calculating your speed at a set point but how long it takes you to travel a much longer distance.  It takes an image of your registration plate at one point and then what ever distance down the road they set it at it takes another.  It then looks at how long it took you to do the distance.  It is a way of getting round slamming on just before a GATSO and then flying off until the next one.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Anyone know if cameras go off when you coming towards them? I would have thought not as the flash could blind you especially at night time and possible cause a crash!

But would like to know just in case.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Some Gatsos work in both directions. Also some cameras are
forward facing, which they have in Nottingham. They work off a
loop in the road which is triggered when you go over it.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Truvelo.htm

This link tells you about all the different types and how they tray and catch motorist (Ahem - I mean make our roads safer!!)

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
a bit of topic, anyone know the rules on broken double yellow lines, theres some going accross our drive which is stupid and if I remember correctly if there is a missing piece of line of if the end of the double yellows are not finished by another line stopping the two then they become void, is that right???

·
Registered
383 Posts
Solid double yellow lines should have the end stoppers ( line at 90deg to the double yellows) at both ends and all lines must be continuous and touching. If they aren't perfect and you get a ticket, then get photos ( a video camera is better) and challenge it.

I can't remember what other combinations there are but i'm sure theres a solid line with a dashed line running parallel to it as well, but that usually has signs about loading/waiting times somewhere nearby.

[:D]

As for gatsos randomly going off, some do. There was an incident a few years ago about a bloke who got flashed doing 20mph in a 30mph zone, so he went round again and got flashed again. He ended up with a couple of fines as he wasn't wearing a seat belt!!

The ones to watch for are the safety vans, look like builders vans parked on the verge till you get passed them and read the side of them. These do the usual speed traps, but some just take pics of the fronts of cars looking for cars without valid tax, and hence possibly no insuracnce either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes I got done by a guy hiding behind a wall. I did see him and
wan't speeding, however the car in front was and because I ws blocking
his no. plate I got done. They knew it was the case but as I live
in b'ham they said I would have to go to sheffield where it happened to
view the evidence and possibly court and a higher fine if I
disputed it. So they had me over a barrel.

I showed the pics to loads of people and not one said it was a clear
cut ofence. But with my job I couldn't take the risk and
begrudgingly coughed up.

Holland have it worse - they have cameras are in wheelie bins!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts