Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, new car owner question, just clocked up 480 miles on my very first tank of fuel & the fuel warning light has come on.

Just wondering how many litres are left in the tank or maybe more importantly how many mile is it safe to drive with the light on.

Wish there was an option on the computer that would give you an idea of how many miles were left in the tank, is there a dealer mod. to do this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not sure if there's a dealer mod for this.

I did this the other day and i did about 25-30 miles with the light on before my nerve went and i filled it up. That was on the motorway as well tho..

At the end of the day, every car is different, but you should be ok for the above with a diesel.

Gaz

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You're talking about "Range", which is not available on the Mkiv, but is on the Mkv.

Funny ommission really, as the information must be there. No dealer mod either.

I could safely do another 50 miles in my PD150, after the fuel light had come on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rodger,

Just the info I was after thanks.

Bit miffed about the range info tbo, as reading through the manual its mentioned, but there is an astrix next to the text, which could mean anything ;-)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've got it in my head that there's nine litres left when the light comes on (2 gallons). That would mean you could get 80-90miles.

I wouldn't go much past 50-60miles though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just looked in handbook. It says "reserve amount approx 7 litres, - approx 8 litres for the 4motion".

Don't know what that conversion is though..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always thought that when the light came on there was about  gallon in the tank, with a diesel you should be good for fifty miles or so! Don't wanna be the first to try tho, think if anyone knows or finds out they should post it!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last time I ran out of fuel was years back

I had my girlfriend (on our first date!) in a Mini, run out on a quiet country lane, late at night ;-)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Actual quantity left is 7 litres, or 1.54 gallons, which for a dieselish average of 45 mpg is almost 70 miles. Wouldn't want to go much past 50 though.

Obviously, if you drive a petrol car, you should fill up almost as soon as the light comes on. [;)]

·
Registered
895 Posts
Is is true that driving with a very low fuel reserve can be bad to the catalyst? I recalled seeing this from the handbook...

So 30 miles is safe and below 50 miles would be the absolute limit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dunno why it would damage the cat...any of the crap from the bottom of the tank would have been removed by the fuel filter

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sure on the later model Boras, e.g. Highline, Sport etc. there is a range or miles to empty on the full height computer.  Got a set of late Sport clocks to fit to my Bora and it has miles to empty on them.  Anyway, I know my dad has managed 62 miles in his Octavia TDi with the fuel light on, before filling up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Is is true that driving with a very low fuel reserve can be bad to the catalyst? I recalled seeing this from the handbook...

So 30 miles is safe and below 50 miles would be the absolute limit.
Old wive's tail. Just think it through logically, your not burning the fuel any different, and like previously said the fuel filter will stop any crap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
sorry if this sounds like a stupid question , why dont you just fill it up with fuel? if you run out in a diesel its no fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've heard that if you run out of fuel on the motorway (or any other road) and PC Plod happens to catch you, you are liable to a fine and three points on your licence because it is avoidable and you risk and inconvenience other road users. This might be another old wive's tale though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have driven to heathrow from my home which is approx 63 miles in total...i do 70mph with cruise set in a nonstop pattern..and i can tell you the light was on after 2 miles of this and i couldnt find any fuel station @ 3-30 am so i continued and finally filled up at heathrow and this was cos the fuel pump was surging and slightly misfiring, i must have had literally fresh air cos i filled up and including tank venting...put 61.66 litres in...and that was 703 out of the tank...trust me dont try more than 60 miles....its a nightmare and yes its a nickable offence to run out on the motorways as no provision was sourced to find fuel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts