Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the clever people around here :)

I'm undertaking a small ...err... badging project... I took off the original 'Golf' and TDi badges from my car but they have left a small but tough layer of gluey residue, which I can't seem to get off.

Up to now I've just tried soapy water and a soft cloth to no avail, so wondering if there is anyone out there who know's a cool "Kim & Aggie" type procedure for getting all the gluey crap off, without scraping the paintwork.

Look forward to any replies !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dunno about a Kim and Aggie maggie method but if you buy some Autoglym Tar remover this should do the trick. Used it my old car and works a treat.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
After heating it up and peeling it off, I used some white spirit in a soft cloth and that removed the rest of the stick.

Then give it a wash and wax.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks - Got some White spirit to hand to will try that tomorrow AM. Difficult to get Hairdryer to the car as don't have a garage with Elec / will need a long extension :) ...if it doesn't come off with a bit of the white spirit, I'll pick up some of that Tar Removed at Halfords.

Someone also said Vinegar (white) should get it straight off.

Cheers, David.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Contact cleaner

i dont know what it is but it works well as my g/f's KA's door pillar stickers came off and we tried every thing and my uncle done a service and mot used "contact cleaner" and they looked like there was noting there at all [:D]

·
Registered
127 Posts
just done mine too mate and use mentholated spirits (meths) and it just wiped off its really good better than ag tar remover.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Steel wool and brake fluid works a treat !!!!..................................

Only joking....Cellulose thinners worked on mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used White (Distilled) Vinegar ..... the nasty gluey stuff ran for it's life! Gone for good, and the paintwork even looked cleaner for that vinegar!

David.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's an excellent product you can buy in DIY stores and supermarkets called ? would you believe it ? Sticky Stuff Remover ( ! )

·
Registered
404 Posts
I left mine exposed to direct sunlight for an hour or so when we had that heat spell, it rubbed straight off with a dry cloth and no chemicals.

·
Registered
518 Posts
De-badged mine the other night.

So much easier with the use of a hairdrier - badges peel straight off.

The sticky stuff was harder to remove tho. Tried vinegar & white spirit and they weren't affecting it too much.

Then tried a quick spray of WD-40 and the gunk came right off.

Then washed the boot down, clayed it, then applied paint cleanser and wax.

The back end sooo much cleaner and smoother now. Wished i'd done this years ago.

·
Registered
287 Posts
if you can't get the hairdryer to the car (or like me, are as bald as a coot so have no hair dryer) just fill the kettle and boil it. Take it to the car and slowly pour the water on the bit you want to remove. Softens the glue and foam a treat then it just peeeels off like dead skin (fascinating when you peel off dead skin you keep going even when its sore).

Give the car a wee wash, and use a soft cloth (old Tshirt or a girls pants) and some polish/Tcut and get rid of the crappy tide marks. et voila

1 - 17 of 17 Posts