Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Bought these Hella smoked liights, but the reflector comes seperate. Are we legally obliged to have it on the car, if so where do i put them as the instructions tell me to put them somwehere really ugly?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
If i remember correctly, the car will fail an MOT unless it has a reflector on it.

No ideas where to put it though!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hi guys,

Bought these Hella smoked liights, but the reflector comes seperate. Are we legally obliged to have it on the car, if so where do i put them as the instructions tell me to put them somwehere really ugly?

Thanks
Legally you will not pass the MOT as the Smoked Rearlamps do not have a reflector surface built into them, hence the seperate reflectors.

As stated though, most people don't bother with them and it all depends on where you MOT the car.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Is it these lamps where on about?

Posted Image

If so my car passed ok without any additonal reflectors. then again i dont think they really checked lol

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats them !

they look nice, but when i bought them ... i didnt know the reflectors come seperate. im a little disappointed as know they wont look very nice if have stick the seperate reflectors on ?

any ideas where i would put them, they are adhesive so... ?

cheers

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I put the reflectors on mine for the MOT. Last year he failed me because I never had the reflectors on. I wouldn't bin them, keep them somewhere safe incase you need to put them on

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luckily i know the guy who does my MOTs so it wont really be a problem. im only thinking about safety really... but who really cares about that !

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
luckily i know the guy who does my MOTs so it wont really be a problem. im only thinking about safety really... but who really cares about that !
If you are thinking about safety then be warned, if you park your car on the side of the road outside your house in the dark, a car driving towards it will have no reflection off your rearlamps as there are no reflectors on them, potentially this driver could hit the car and claim that your rearlamps are not legal.

This is an extreme case but worth noting.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i could put them on after an accident like that !!!

as long as he didnt take a photo that night, which is unlikely... ill be ok... ill cross my fingers..

they look too good not to use them, and they just cost me 100 pounds

but i might find a place for them so it wont look too crappy.

thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i was pulled up by a cooper and given a ticket for not putting mine on lol, just stuck themin the position where the reflector wud be on normal lights for a few weeks and then removed them had no problems since theyve been off

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i was pulled up by a cooper and given a ticket for not putting mine on lol, just stuck themin the position where the reflector wud be on normal lights for a few weeks and then removed them had no problems since theyve been off
WOW!!

I never got pulled over when I had them on the Bora, I guess it all depends on the Police in the area and your chosen MOT centre?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
this may be a crap idea but to get round fitting for safety/mot and not fitting for kudos could you stick small red reflectors on inside of rear window in the bottom corners so not affecting look of back, similar to TVR's?[:^)]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
this may be a crap idea but to get round fitting for safety/mot and not fitting for kudos could you stick small red reflectors on inside of rear window in the bottom corners so not affecting look of back, similar to TVR's?[:^)]
try finding somewhere that sells them - i have tried everywhere, if you know somewhere please share the knowledge :p

try looking here, this is where i put my reflectors, http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/448733/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
p.s. now i have the R32 rear though i have no idea where to put them - apart from in the window

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ive seen where you put them.

shame cos i think it ruins the look of the car !

i guess im gonna have to screw / stick em to my bumper !!!

OH WELL !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts