Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know its a Ford, but I test drove a 1.7 tonight - great car

Not a VAG in terms of build quality, but the handling was superb, the gearbox is THE best I've used and it went very nicely thankyou

Thinking about replacing my Ibiza 1.2 with one as it just isnt much fun to drive - my commute is mainly back roads

Any views??

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ive driven my workmates (2 of them have them)... i loved it. Very cramped for me mind, but it was superb to drive... in the way id love the Golf to be from the factory.

I totally agree about the gearbox, great fun... but its like a Scaletrix car... point and fire!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Oh, and my mate just traded his S-reg 1.7 in Purple (mmm!), 25k on it, for a Merc C180.. he only got £6k for it. So they are definately good buys...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cheekey Baskets, the wife has one (black one and now 2 years old just) and it drives splended, just how the golf should, very responsive. We got one new for 11K fully specced up. Shame I cant extract the heated screen from it...for those cool winter mornings. Sorry dreaming about Ice...its soooo hot here!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Racing Puma is based on the same chassis as the old Fiesta Zetec S. I've driven the Zetec S and it is excellent, so I can imagine the Puma being so too.

Shame about the blue oval and the plastic factory explosion excuse of an interior!

·
Registered
501 Posts
GF has a std puma with springs and stuff and it's really good for county lanes, watch out for the brakes tho, we had to change them for Mondeo V6 stuff (280mm) because of the fade! [:D]

Racing puma is a different thing based on the standard puma but with wide arches (and only available in blue) but you're looking at 10K for a dog or 12K or more for a decent one. They were limited to 500 as well.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
In my experience, anyone whos had a go in one loves them! My sister had a 1999 V 1.4 and even that was great fun.

Fanatastic little car to drive, and that gearbox is ace. Rear visibility is weird to say the least and the interior is very Ford, but the fun element makes up for it IMO. Great car, go for it

·
Registered
895 Posts
my next door neighbour did have a 1.7l one back in 2000. i must say the grip from the car is phenomenal and you could really feel it even as a passenger.

the driving side of it is very good, extremely nippy around town and hasn't got a drink problem. being based on a fiesta, maintenance should be mininal. the major concern is the fact that the look is an acquired taste and may not suit everyone. one thing is the rear looks a lot better with a coded valance/flaps.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow!

Is it heated from the top / bottom or is there some kind of see-thru membrane on the screen?

- Toff.

·
Registered
895 Posts
heating elements covering the entire front windscreen. it really blends in to the screen. you have to look close to notice it.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Yeah exactly, its one of those sitting-in-the-car-waiting-for-someone-staring-out-front-windscreen-what-the-hell-is-that-moment-of-realisation-get-out-and-look type things.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just waiting to see how much they'll give me for the Ibiza - I asked for £6500 [:D][:O] , Wish reckoned about £5300 or so so we shall see what happens

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Puma is based on the old Fiesta, chassis, interior etc. Judging by your comments, the gearbox is diff to the Fiesta though...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts