Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, guy's,

Not sure if this should be posted under the tyres section or here, but i'll stick it here anyway.

This car i bought a few weeks back is pulling to the left. Tyre pressure is fine, but i heard that mark IV's have a tendency to do this? Surely not??

Is this a tracking problem and more likely a trip to a garage? What sort of $$$ are we talking for this? Not a mjor problem but I'm gonna get tyre wear on one side eventually.......

Thanks,

C.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you go to a decent garage that has a good rep then they should be able to check and adjust it for you if needed

depending on where you go and how good an alignment they do the price with vary

i think star performance do a 4 wheel laser alignment for around the ?50 mark

·
Registered
654 Posts
I get this ever so slightly and seems to be accentuated by the camber of the road so is probably a "feature" of the car.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Quote: posted by scarum on 17/11/2004 11:45:48

I get this ever so slightly and seems to be accentuated by the camber of the road so is probably a "feature" of the car.

I second that especially with these at least 205 wide tyres but all depends how sever the pull is. The car (mine at least) seldom go straight around poor urban roads and it does pull a little bit.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Get your tracking done as a matter of course.. if it is out the constant turning in to counteract the pull will give you bad tyre wear. Basic tracking can be sorted for as little as ?25, but a 4 wheel laser alignment is well worth it, if you plan to lower the car soon, wait until you have done it then get the car laser aligned. bout ?30 - ?45.[:D]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's, OK, they're the sort of figures I was hoping you would say. [^]I hear what your saying about it being a 'feature', but mine is well noticable, seems too much for this i reckon. Goes to the left even if the camber is to the right.[:(]

Thanks, i'll pop into a few places and see what they say....

C.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine follows the camber worse then most. In fact at times i find it hard to live with. Find a quiet stretch of road and drive on the wrong side. If it now pulls right then its just the camber that accentuating the problem.

A local expert took 3.5 hours to do my alignment, after every attempt he put it back on the ramp and set it some more. He didn't get it as he would like it but he had run out of adjustment and couldn't do anything more for me. (cost ?100 at Michedevel Tyres)

If you get it aligned, make sure they give you a before and after printout which includes caster. This is adjusted by moving the subframe on the MKIV and you need a bit more negative on the offside to help counteract the pull of the camber of the road. The opposite is ture with camber, this is adjusted by moving the lower swivel and whilst it should have a little negative, it helps if the nearside has a little more then the offside.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Ok blahblahman, i'll try it out later on the wrong side of the road just to double check. I also think mine is worse than most and the missus is learning to drive in it so i don't want her to have to deal with it for obvious reasons[B)].

Cheers,

C.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had something similar on the GOlf and it turned out to be a worn track rod end that needed replacing, it had also work the tyres more on the inside.

Jon

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I had the tracking checked after an incident with a pot hole but still after the ajustments it seems to pull to the left, and the car won't steer straight if i have the steering wheel straight. I just parked up with the front wheels in line and the steering wheel is going left........Is an alignment check needed or have a bust something?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Mine used to do that but after i got my new wheels and tyres tracked the problem went away instantly. this could be due to the wider wheels but it doesnt pull at all now.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
what is the difference between tracling and alignment?

Just checked the invoice and he has charged me for an alignment check, what check do i need to see all is well?

·
Registered
293 Posts
wider tyres (mine are 225's) and lowering have made the problem worse. Wider tyres will track more and lowering really buggers up the geometry but you should still be able to get a satisfactory result with a good 4 wheel alignment. (toe/camber/caster front & rear)

·
Registered
383 Posts
mine very slightly pulls to the left, made worse by the road camber. Just had 20k service and had the allignment checked and it was spot on for vw figures. Put two new tyres on the front ( spare wheels, 195/65 r15s) and it run straight as a die!! So i'm thinkin it might be tyre wear thats causing the left pull, it's all those roundabouts and not slowing down that do it!!.

Does anyone have a similar problem but to the right!! ie anyone from the usa or those who drive on the wrong side of the road!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've driven many cars in the past 4-5 years and most of them did this (pull to the left). The strength of the pull varied in different cars but I got used to it (at first I was a bit concerned).

I have friends in the mechanical and engineering trades and they all told me that some cars are stansardised with a left pull (in the UK) or a right pull (in Europe and elsewhere) for safety reasons[?]

Anyhow, my Bora also pulls ever so slihtly to the left but not enough to annoy me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was the same when I first got my Golf - it veered to the left. Countless visits back to the dealer later, it still does it. After reading previous posts on here regarding the same subject, it's fairly clear that this is a Mk4 'feature' and is something which you end up getting used to, I think. I know I've gotten used to it now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers for all the feedback again guy's.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to do it if i drive on the right as suggested above (veer right that is).

I'll see it goes over the next wee while and maybe take it in to a garage for a shifty, might just learn to live with it if it's as common as everyone is suggesting.

Just as an aside here I was just in for a 40k there and they replaced the front left tyre at AA (should have just went to VW - i know) - the tyre they took off had 5mm in the middle and 3 round the side due to what I thought was this tracking problem (all others were fine - i checked all before). So I knew about this tyre but the steaming jobbies changed the tyre and it was perfectly legal - vent over - ahhhh, and breath....[8D] They shut the branch in my town the following day as well (strange coincidence), probably all living in Hawaii with my service $$$....

Thanks,

C.

(Been here a couple of weeks now and made a few posts - just like to say thanks to all who have helped so far - great forum!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same is happening with mine. Just had it lowered and put some 17's on and I started to notice it pulling to the left. At first I thought i was just looking for a problem after messing about with the suspension and wasn't sure if it wa there before or not. After reading this i'm going to get it checked out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts