Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 09/12/2004 09:19:05

it's a "saftey feature" so you don't stray onto the other side of the road or so I've heard

Isn't it the camber of the road that does this for you? So that if you fall asleep at the wheel you'll veer off to the left, and not into incoming traffic on the right. I'm pretty sure it's not a 'safety feature' of the Golf, just a damn annoyance that you have to get used to.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 09/12/2004 09:32:49

Quote: posted by dubzter on 09/12/2004 09:19:05

it's a "saftey feature" so you don't stray onto the other side of the road or so I've heard

Isn't it the camber of the road that does this for you? So that if you fall asleep at the wheel you'll veer off to the left, and not into incoming traffic on the right. I'm pretty sure it's not a 'safety feature' of the Golf, just a damn annoyance that you have to get used to.

Thats probably more like the truth

·
Registered
161 Posts
Speedie; I recently fitted 2 new tyres fitted to the front. Then i decided to put the new tyres on the rear, and thats when i started to notice the car pull to the left. I took the car to get it aligned and found there wasn't any problem. I spoke to a mate in the trade, and he suggested that i swap the front wheels around, I thought he was taking the ****, so i did just that and it made a significant difference. You will have a slight pull to the left anyway which will be down to road cambers. Maybe you could try this???

·
Registered
159 Posts
change to coilovers or other uprated suspension. mines stopped doing it since i had mine fitted.

by the way..roads are cambered for water drainage but i suppose a dry road is safer than a wet one so you could say it was a safety feature[:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 09/12/2004 09:32:49

no, the camber of the road is done purely for drainage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine got significantly worse once i fitted Goodyear F1s on it, which i put it down to due to the cut of the tyre. When i had the original p6000s on it was OK. Since the F1s have got more worn at the front the pull had reduced but it was annoying.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
When i had my Montys on from when i bought the car it always pulled to the left and from the slight right-turn angle on the wheel, i could tell the car had always done it.

but... as soon as i put my 18x8.5 BBS wheels on and had them correctly aligned it all went away. Now goes straight as a nail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.