Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought the price was pure speculation, but now it turns out to be real. Far too expensive for a games console!
They need to lower that price, and fast, especially in the UK, seeing as they're ripping off Britain compared to everywhere else (again)

At work, bearing in mind we develop console games.. and we're all pretty darn into our games, I can only think of a handful of people that are considering picking one up. Everyone's opinion seems to be the same. Too expensive for what is broadly comparable ( in terms of power ) to the 360. You'd think for ?425 that they could make the joypad rumble at least... bah!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
At that price no thanks. I'd get it so I could play Blu Ray discs and play exclusives but not at that kind of money.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
well mine is on order, i always said when i was at uni when the next one comes out i will get it, well ps3 is here so ive pre ordered.

·
Registered
742 Posts
No thankyou ?425 then a game on top i'll stick with my 360 and wii, sony will be in trouble if they hold that price I don't think they will shift that many consoles when you can get its rival ones for half the price!

·
Registered
301 Posts
just ma 2p

a xbox premium (only 20 gig) = ?269 (almost a year on)

hd dvd add on = ?150 ish

the ps3 release price almost the same and this is after the xbox has been around a while

really depends what wins hddvd - blueray

stuarty

·
Registered
453 Posts
Isnt that ?425 for the basic 20gb model, with no multi format card reader included to boot? I believe the gull 60gb model is ~?550. Considering the x360 basic is around ?200 now, and the premium is far cheaper than both ps3 variants, its gonna be tough for people witha brain to actually justify it (as its bound to have a 2nd rate blu ray player, a la ps2 dvd player)!

No doubt ps3 will sell out completely though, theres plenty of ill informed people out there actually believing the ps3 hype !

·
Registered
301 Posts
Isnt that ?425 for the basic 20gb model, with no multi format card reader included to boot? I believe the gull 60gb model is ~?550. Considering the x360 basic is around ?200 now, and the premium is far cheaper than both ps3 variants, its gonna be tough for people witha brain to actually justify it (as its bound to have a 2nd rate blu ray player, a la ps2 dvd player)!

No doubt ps3 will sell out completely though, theres plenty of ill informed people out there actually believing the ps3 hype !
ok maybe a 20gig version but yet again we go back to comparing it to the xbox base with no hard drive and no hd-dvd ???

·
Registered
453 Posts
ok maybe a 20gig version but yet again we go back to comparing it to the xbox base with no hard drive and no hd-dvd ???
Ahh, but your forgetting the HDDVD for 360 is optional. You dont need it for games, its purely for movie playback and that will always be the case. If your really bothered about HDD space, which doesnt relate to any amount of computing power, then microsoft are releasing a 120gb x360 with a die shrink to 65nm sometime at the end of this year. Either way, you can't remove the blu ray from ps3 to make it cheaper, and the fact remains the ps3 is a rip off mate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
agreed it is a rip off if you look at it as just a games console

but what was the xbox premium on realease it wasnt far away from this price and it had no blue ray or hd dvd is my point

a stand alone blue ray player is ?700+

i am looking at buying one or the other and using it as my media centre etc aswell the ps3 still looks better to me soz

stuarty

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Rather have a 360 any day of the week, much better games, much cheaper, just as powerful potentially, just a better console. Plus when PS3 comes out there will be no decent launch titles. And can you get Halo 3 on PS3? I think not!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ?425 PS3's the 60gig one. Sony ain't releasing the 20gig one in Europe initially, apparently they are waiting to see if there's any demand for it first??! At the price of the 60 gig one.. come on everyone's gonna want a cheaper one!!
Oh, and it only comes with a composite video cable of course, so you have to shell out for an HDMI lead or a component one for a decent piccy.

It's true, the price of a 360 + the HD DVD drive is the same as a PS3.. but like someone else said, the 360's HD Drive is optional, and I think that's important. The Blu-Ray drive isn't really important for games, so it shouldn't really be forced on anyone. It can hold huge amounts of data, but more data would really just mean games cost more to make and therefore more to buy.

What strikes me about this generation is that due to the huge cost of development for these new machines, we're largely going to see games developed cross platform to work on both systems as they are very very close in terms of power. Therefore, for the most part, we only need to buy one of them... I dunno, call me a cheapskate but I'd go for the less expensive one.

The Playstation network stuff is also a bit unimpressive compared to XBLive. The chat and stuff is there on the dashboard, but once you start a game, it partially disconnects. In-game, you can play against other players on that specific game etc, but there's no global messaging, friends list or persistent online presence there. Nobody can send you a message to say 'Join my game' when you're in another game. It all seems a bit backwards really.

The only ace looking game in the launch lineup is MotorStorm, which looks cool. Resistance fall of man is ok, but a bit average really (played it). Many of the others are out on 360 or PC already. COD3's out for PS3 launch, but sadly, the framerate is only half that of the 360 version. Hmmmm.. expensive, late and maybe a bit slower.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The pricetag is'nt that high in my honest opinion for what you get, the thing with 360 i believe is that the games will be constantly the same sort of thing but as the ps3 progresses (just like the ps2 has) the games will get better and better and more appealing than 360. I've been working with the ps3 for a year now and it isnt the easiest console to get performance out of but the hard work if done correctly will certainly pay off and create more interesting games! Another thing is that there are quite a few exclusive titles being developed at the moment for ps3 so its not purely conversions/cross platform development.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The pricetag is'nt that high in my honest opinion for what you get, the thing with 360 i believe is that the games will be constantly the same sort of thing but as the ps3 progresses (just like the ps2 has) the games will get better and better and more appealing than 360. I've been working with the ps3 for a year now and it isnt the easiest console to get performance out of but the hard work if done correctly will certainly pay off and create more interesting games! Another thing is that there are quite a few exclusive titles being developed at the moment for ps3 so its not purely conversions/cross platform development.
Not to criticise, but im sure that its in your interest to make sure sony and the ps3 dont get a tarnished name over the comming months, so regardless of the state of play your always going to defend / put ps3 in a better light. When both systems are nearly equal (with what I believe the 360 having the edge due to a far superior GPU architecture) surely its down to developers to create 'more interesting games'.

You can't say the ps3 will have that sort of edge, I mean, what are you actually basing that on? Its not any more powerful, its certainly not easier to program on, and its been in developers hands a far shorter time than the 360, so In most poeples eyes I would believe 360 has the advantage as far as doing the most with the hardware present!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The Blu Ray player in the PS3 isn't a second rate device its supposed to be very good. However it lacks analogue outputs for HD DTS, True HD and Dolby Digital +. The big issue for most people is that for games the Blu Ray drive is unnecessary which makes the console expensive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had a 360, got bored of it.... quickly. Sold.Had a JP PS3, just sold it.?
And the one console I never thought that Id ever enjoy I bought for my gilfriend, the Wii.This is the one Im enjoying most out of the lot! Just brings something new to gaming. Pity its not HD.
My opinion on the PS3 is that it is a great bit of kit, ?425 is well worth it in terms of functions, but like the 360 in my eyes its its just a previous console with prettier graphics. Hopefully theyll take advantage of the sixaxis in the future and put it to good use to offer a bit more in the gameplay department.
Then it will be a great console.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry for this but they are selling for a touch over 260 quid in Hong Kong. That's for the 60G bare bones version (machines, cables, one controller, no games)

Rip off UK indeed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts