Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
The PS3's graphical abilities are indeed gonna be immense (we have dev-kits at work).. but..
That's probably just a pre-rendered promo vid.

Sony did this before the PS2 appeared and the visuals of the real console never really looked as good as those early promo vids ;) And they're doing it again. It will be a highly impressive machine, but don't believe any hype you see just yet! [:)]

·
Registered
639 Posts
As Union Jack said...that'll just be a pre-rendered vid. Ingame graphics will be nothing close to that. I do expect it will be a fair improvement on the xbox 360's graphics though!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'm always curious as to why people think the PS3 is going to be a
'substantial' improvement over the 360. Is it because its taking longer
for Sony to get it to the street or because its Sony? In actual fact on
paper there is little to separate them so graphics will be almost
identical. What will separate these machines is Microsofts Live service
which has beaten Sony hands down. However the PS3 will have a Blue Ray
drive where the 360 only has a standard dvd drive. The PS3 is also
supposed to be able to display in 1080p but as there are almost no
displays that can go that high and those that can are nearly twice the
price of a 720p screen then not many will be buying them. One of the
main reasons that the PS3 hasn't hit the market yet is believed to be
issues in getting Blue Ray drives to actually work and possible issues
with the cell processor.

Sony has a very clever marketing system, they've even managed to
convince many people that plasma screens are on their way out and lcd
is the future. No-one seems to have told Panasonic this who are about
to open their latest plasma glass manufacturing plant in 2007. The only
reason Sony have said this is because they don't manufacture the glass
and therefore don't make any money out of plasma screens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The PS3's graphical abilities are indeed gonna be immense (we have dev-kits at work).. but..

Sony did this before the PS2 appeared and the visuals of the real console never really looked as good as those early promo vids ;) And they're doing it again. It will be a highly impressive machine, but don't believe any hype you see just yet! [:)]
Hi Union Jack where u working mate?

I work for Sony PlayStation up in sunny Liverpool.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

Ah the place in Wavetree Tech park. Mate of mine works there, Tim Johnson!

·
Registered
25 Posts

Ah the place in Wavetree Tech park. Mate of mine works there, Tim Johnson!
yer thats the place i do not know Tim what is he working on?

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
....... What will separate these machines is Microsofts Live service which has beaten Sony hands down. However the PS3 will have a Blue Ray drive where the 360 only has a standard dvd drive.
Apparently there is going to be an online service for the PS3 thats similar to Xbox live. Fingers crossed and about time too.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Eurocom, Derby! Good to see another games programmer on here! [:D] There's another chap on this here forum works at Team17! Can't remember who though
Sony Liverpool! Did you work on Wipeout Pure? Played that to death when I first got my PSP... [:)]

As for the XB360 vs PS3 thing someone mentioned above.. I don't reacon there'll be that much in it tbh.. XB's got the advantage that it's been around longer so there'll be more folks experienced with it, plus the development tools are top notch. PS3 is genuinely a quicker machine but it depends if anyone can harness that power, especially early on in it's life cycle. We will probably see some amazing stuff in a few years time though, on both of them. As for graphically, there's little to choose between them.. I'm thinking the 360's GPU might have slightly more grunt though.

The main advantage I'd cite with the PS3, for me anyway which is why I'll hang on for one, is that it will get far better Japanese software support and that's important to me. Other than that there's no difference between em for me as I don't play online. [:)]

Speaking of quality Jap games.. Currently playing Resident Evil 4. Utterly stunning in every area (IMHO)! I don't need to buy into next gen yet with current gen games of this high quality.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm always curious as to why people think the PS3 is going to be a 'substantial' improvement over the 360. Is it because its taking longer for Sony to get it to the street or because its Sony? In actual fact on paper there is little to separate them so graphics will be almost identical. What will separate these machines is Microsofts Live service which has beaten Sony hands down. However the PS3 will have a Blue Ray drive where the 360 only has a standard dvd drive. The PS3 is also supposed to be able to display in 1080p but as there are almost no displays that can go that high and those that can are nearly twice the price of a 720p screen then not many will be buying them. One of the main reasons that the PS3 hasn't hit the market yet is believed to be issues in getting Blue Ray drives to actually work and possible issues with the cell processor.

Sony has a very clever marketing system, they've even managed to convince many people that plasma screens are on their way out and lcd is the future. No-one seems to have told Panasonic this who are about to open their latest plasma glass manufacturing plant in 2007. The only reason Sony have said this is because they don't manufacture the glass and therefore don't make any money out of plasma screens.
Class...good old sony

Talking of LCD and plasma Nik I have the new sammy HD LCD screen and after 3 weeks of messing around with freeview,xbox 360 720P games and video, VGA cable or component feel that the PWD6 plasma I have is still much better than LCD.

Figures mean nothing here I have done back 2 back testings of the two. The LCD seems washed out and cant do black like the plasma can.

The HD games and video coming from the xbox 360 doesnt look any better on the HD screen and TBH the HD screens make the games look PC like...

The plasma is still fed 720P but games like PGR3 and fightnight 3 look more colourful and more rounded than the HD of the sammy LCD.

Its still a great screen for the money with built in freeview and nice looking but the PWD6 plasma is still the best for me.

So PLASMA isnt dead sony!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm holding out til those SED screens begin to appear. I think that's the name anyway. Look ace, fantastic contrast.. and based on CRT technology but nice and thin!
LCD's getting very good, my PC's monitor is one and the TV in the dining room is one.. and have a great one at work. But the main TV is still a chunky 32in CRT and as a result the picture is great! No plans to replace it. From what I've seen so far though, the plasmas are definately better than the LCDs still for a TV screen.

Back onto PS3s.. read today that Capcom are intending a simultanious 360 and PS3 launch of Res Evil 5.. unless the PS3 gets delayed again then it's XB360 first with ps3 to follow. If that's the case, I'll buy an XB360 on the day of Res Evil 5's launch!!!
And come on Sony, quit delaying.. it just means that Halo3 will be delayed too since old Bill Gates says Halo3 will be launched same day as PS3. And Halo3's the only game I really want for the 360 (unless Res Evil5 arrives first)
That's gonna be an expensive day.. XB360 + Halo3.. plus PS3... nightmare!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Do you realise that SED screens at the very earliest won't be here till
2007-8? Also the smallest size will be 55" and projected cost is around
?10k initially. Buy a plasma or a projector and don't miss out on
several years hi-def gaming.

Allegedly Halo 3 will be released when its ready according to old Bill.
He claims that it would not be rushed to coincide with the PS3 release
- do we believe him though?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Read somewhere that SED units will cost the same as LCD and plasma.. Hope so!! My TV's only 4 years old, so I won't be buying a new one for a couple of years yet, it works well enough for me.
I'll buy a next gen console when Res Evil 5 or something else worthwhile appears!

Next intended console purchase is the Revolution. Then the PS3 when it appears. I'd consider a 360 but they need to sort out the media centre stuff first. My current hacked XBox is a gem.. it's a media centre!! The 360.. isn't!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yeah, MS really dropped one by making the 360 so hard to use as a media
centre. Though a huge dashboard update is on its way so maybe that will
improve things.

SED screens will cost similar amounts to produce as lcd and plasma but
that does not mean that they will be the same when they hit the shops.
There'll be quite a few years worth or R&D to recover.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yeah, MS really dropped one by making the 360 so hard to use as a media centre. Though a huge dashboard update is on its way so maybe that will improve things.

SED screens will cost similar amounts to produce as lcd and plasma but that does not mean that they will be the same when they hit the shops. There'll be quite a few years worth or R&D to recover.
Why is it so hard.

I love it

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Because you can only stream .wmv .ts or .mpeg files. There no ability
to play .mov or .avi files which are some of the most popular file
formats out there. So you need additional programs to convert the files
etc. Don't get me wrong I think its great but your average user isn't
going to find it an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Because you can only stream .wmv .ts or .mpeg files. There no ability to play .mov or .avi files which are some of the most popular file formats out there. So you need additional programs to convert the files etc. Don't get me wrong I think its great but your average user isn't going to find it an easy thing to do.
But have you got a DVB-T or DVB-S card in the MCE yet and used the TV guide, HDTV video and films etc etc

I use mine all the time now with the dual DVB-T cards and series link recording.

The EPG is wicked and I can now access it from my smartphone or web browser

·
Registered
794 Posts
Read somewhere that SED units will cost the same as LCD and plasma.. Hope so!! My TV's only 4 years old, so I won't be buying a new one for a couple of years yet, it works well enough for me.
I'll buy a next gen console when Res Evil 5 or something else worthwhile appears!

Next intended console purchase is the Revolution. Then the PS3 when it appears. I'd consider a 360 but they need to sort out the media centre stuff first. My current hacked XBox is a gem.. it's a media centre!! The 360.. isn't!
I also run XBMC on the xbox but it doesnt record or play HD stuff. Ok I had the high-def video pack for the xbox but when trying to play a 720p movie the video card of the xbox couldnt keep up and would skip frames....rubbish basically.

The standard xbox cant record ..

Its free and great software and DOES play almost any video codec but thats it...I wouldnt call it a media centre.

The MCE 2005 and dual DVB-T cards is tons better now. I watch 720p and 1080i films all the time now and use the series link from the EPG all the time.

You just search for example action films and it tells me when all the films will show in the next few weeks. Click the botton and its gonna record...

love it.

The webguide 3 bolt-on ( free as well ) allows me to access my TV guide from a smartphone phone,pda or standard IE.

Thats great when you wanna quickly access the system remotely...

The XMBC is great dont get me wrong but the xbox 360 and MCE 2005 is another step forward in media centre .

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
But have you got a DVB-T or DVB-S card in the MCE yet and used the TV guide, HDTV video and films etc etc

I use mine all the time now with the dual DVB-T cards and series link recording.

The EPG is wicked and I can now access it from my smartphone or web browser
No I have none of those. My sole aim is to watch programs downloaded
off the net or hi def trailers. They do work but its a real pain in the
ass and all because Microsoft don't want to include the most popular
codecs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts