Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, thinking of putting my PS2 SLIM into my glovebox [:)]

How to power the sod?

I want to avoid AC power inverters (far too baulky)

Ideally I'd love to get my hands on a Cigarette powercord for PS2 and hardwiring it into the ignition.

So does one exist?

Someone mentioned to me that PS-one had something along these lines..

Help/Ideas pls guys! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah, i can see that becoming available......

You'll need a DC/DC converted - 8V to power the PS2 IIRC (likely to need a fair few amps too).

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought an inverter from gamestation. It is quite small and compact and is only made for the PS2. The power lead goes straight in to the rear of your PS2! It cost ?40

·
Registered
259 Posts
For mine ive used an PS2 inverter from Ebay. I know its a bit bulky, but it seems the only thing available at the mo. Ive wired the inverter direct to the battery with a switch inline hoping for a perminant power feed. However the battery looses power when you start the car causing the inverter to reset. So im thinking along the lines of a 12v Capacitor or something to keep the 12v perminant for the inverter. If you come up with a better solution, im all ears! Oh and the inverter sits in the clearing behind the sat nav & ashtray bit quite nicely.

Wez

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
the PSTwo has a flip lid on it, so would that make changing discs difficult if it was in the glovebox? just a thought!

·
Registered
464 Posts
You could use the 12v socket in the boot for an inverter, then the "bulky" aspect of an inverter wouldnt be so much of a problem. You would probably need to extend one of the cables on the PS2 power supply though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quote: posted by PaulGT on 04/01/2005 11:26:49

the PSTwo has a flip lid on it, so would that make changing discs difficult if it was in the glovebox? just a thought!

Ive had mine in the glove box for ages now and have no problems changing disks, it is a little fiddly if you are driving. [B)] I tend to keep the same Music DVD in there for a few days anyway so its ok. [:D]

Felix: I like the idea of putting the inverter in the back but there is just about enough room in the front. Its the resetting that bothers me. And will prob bother others. If you turn the car off at anytime the DVD still plays but when you start the car again it resets and you have to start from the beginning and/or skip tracks.

Wez

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
also, there is software that you can instal on the mem card that lets you play mp3, vcd, svcd, mp4 etc great stuff!

Not sure on legality of it but assume its fine to mention as home dvd player do all that!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Although still no smaller way of powering the PS2 in the car without the inverter. The PSone ciggy lighter thing doesnt work ive tried that already...

Joey where is this MP3 software?

Wez

·
Registered
259 Posts
But have just read this!!!!

"We are currently developing a power adapter for the new PS2. Two versions will be available; an advanced microprocessor controlled unit packed with features for a professional install, and a straightforward but high quality power adapter for simpler installs.

Expected to be available in January 2005, prices are yet to be confirmed."

Thats what we want to hear!!!!!!

Wez

·
Registered
259 Posts
Right i have just had an Email from Big Cat Technologies! The slim PS2 power thing will be ready for sale on the 18th Feb! It looks quality featuring an IR extender!!!

ZX3500 ? PS2 Auto Adapter This is straightforward in-car power converter for the slim-line PS2. Provides 8.5V required by the PS2 from a 12V (10V ? 15V) Supply. With an efficiency of over 95% the Auto Adapter is a much better alternative to using a mains inverter inline with the Sony power supply. The enclosure is a high quality extruded aluminium construction with removable mounting lugs, which can be altered for top or bottom mounting. Covered by a 2-year warranty.

ZX3600 ? PS2 Auto Adapter Pro This unit as based on the ZX3500 detailed above but is microprocessor controlled and has several additional functions, which makes the Pro ideal for a more advanced install. Features a quality dash-mount push button which enables PS2 on, off and reset control from the front of the vehicle no matter where the console is installed. When powering the PS2, the unit constantly monitors the vehicle battery and gives an audible and visual warning when the battery charge is getting low. An auxiliary power output provides a 12V supply when the PS2 is on, this is ideal for powering monitors and audio transmitters etc. that need to be operational only when the PS2 is on. See info sheet enclosed for more information about the PS2 Auto Adapter Pro. Covered by a 2-year warranty.

ZX3650 ? IR Repeater Kit for PS2 Auto Adapter Pro This kit enables the PS2 Auto Adapter Pro to receive infrared signals from remote controls and send them to the PS2 and any other infrared remote controlled device. The kit consists of 1 x IR receiver lead and 1 x IR transmitter lead. Lead length for the receiver is 5-metres. Covered by a 2-year warranty.

PRICES Order Code Description ? (inc. VAT)

ZX3500 PS2 Auto Adapter 69.99

ZX3600 PS2 Auto Adapter Pro 129.99

ZX3650 IR Repeater Kit for PS2 Auto Adapter Pro 29.99

Posted Image

Wez

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.