Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
mate i had a broken rear spring on my daily vectra it clunked as it moved away from it's position... so by you setting it in the right position you've eliminated the movement it had and thus solved the problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
It's come back. Now it's louder it obvious it's the front. Only does it on a left turn, i.e. loading up the right wheel.

CV joint? Given I've lowered it and it starts within miles I'm pretty sure its something stress/age related.

Sent from my CPH2067 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
check if the spring is seated right first, if you've used coilovers, check if the springs are locked properly also check if the top bearing and bushes sit right ( and are build up the right way, you won't be the first that put it on wrong on one side) also check if the droplink is actually tightened down properly as they can be very loud if there is any movement on the bolts that should secure it. also check balljoint, track rod end connection to the hub, and the front wishbone bolt and bush for movement ( the rear is usually fine)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Well it may not surprise you I'm still being indecisive

I sorted the rotational clicking, then it came back again. It's still there. It's accompanied by a random knock which I have discovered is my rear box coming free of the hangar

And my hand rake is awfully loose. And 2 wheels lose air remarkably quickly.

BUT I FIXED MY GLOVEBOX.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
So I've been working on the old girl this week. She now has new handbrake cables and new discs and pads on the rear, plus a new caliper on the passenger rear.

Not quite all back together yet because it was dark when I finally removed the crush washer from the banjo bolt, so it's bolted on the new caliper but still weeping. Hoping it'll nip up a bit tighter once it's all bolted together on the carrier.

The missus has poo pooed a car and to be fair to her, she's right. So Dixie the Golf is staying for now. And has a new clutch, dmf, suspension and braking system to help her stay on the road

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
And now a new MOT too

Failed on a loose rear box and a bulb gone out. Welded up the exhaust and replaced the bulb and I'm away for £90 including the test fee.

Needs a couple of tyres on an advisory but I'm pretty surprised given she is 20 in March and looks to have had a tough life.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts