Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
not to worry i decided that i'd tackle the last bits that annoyed me on the daily... i only need to do the boots on the tracking arms... but since buying a kit to replace it all with new is just double the price of the boots (yes track rods, track rod ends, boots, clamps and grease) i will be changing it all over to new... that means the full front suspension has been replaced with new items... not that it needs it but i recently found out i can get oem parts for the vectra cheaper than used prices... the only thing i can't get cheaper new is the complete engine... but a good low mileage used one is max 350 pounds so the car will be staying longer than i thought or ever planned to.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
not to worry i decided that i'd tackle the last bits that annoyed me on the daily... i only need to do the boots on the tracking arms... but since buying a kit to replace it all with new is just double the price of the boots (yes track rods, track rod ends, boots, clamps and grease) i will be changing it all over to new... that means the full front suspension has been replaced with new items... not that it needs it but i recently found out i can get oem parts for the vectra cheaper than used prices... the only thing i can't get cheaper new is the complete engine... but a good low mileage used one is max 350 pounds so the car will be staying longer than i thought or ever planned to.
Always the way. It's well and good suggesting i can afford to run a 5.0 v8, but realistically the increased cost, tax, insurance and potential repair costs just put it out of reach. I'll just have a noisey diesel instead lol

You will probably need a new engine soon, vaux not necessarily known for their longevity! our Zaf blew up it's second turbo by 130k.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
So....i've bought some cream S3 seats + bench.....no door cards though. I'm travelling to pick them up wednesday. They are electric position, but not heated. Can anyone tell me what fuse i should wire into? and what size fuse i should use?

IF the fusebox is the same as the mk4, then fuse 44 (15A) is for the heated seats....would this be enough to control the movements too? or would they have had a separate fuse? I'd rather fit it into the "right" place.....

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
it is next to the relay holder, it's hidden under the drivers side footwell panels you'll see it once you removed the panels, and look up on the right side of the steering wheel... you will need to add the oem cable to that for full 12v power and add the cable to the fuse locations for the switched power.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Oem connection or cowboy connection... both work... but oem is preffered as it nicely fits in and can be traced easily later on if and when it might have problems... vs cowboy connection can be a right pita if you haven't done it yourself.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
so i'm getting the seats tomorrow, and i've found a full loom for £35. if they are in decent enough condition i'll spend some time fitting them, otherwise they'll need a refresh. pics will follow soon enough :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
it is next to the relay holder, it's hidden under the drivers side footwell panels you'll see it once you removed the panels, and look up on the right side of the steering wheel... you will need to add the oem cable to that for full 12v power and add the cable to the fuse locations for the switched power.
so is it fuse A near the relays and fuse 44 on the fuse box? would the heated and positional electrics all have worked from the same fuse?

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
so is it fuse A near the relays and fuse 44 on the fuse box? would the heated and positional electrics all have worked from the same fuse?
If I was you I would look for a retrofit how2 that will make it a lot easier... if it was with seatheating it would be 2 fuses to the fuse box and probably just one for A.... but I can't be sure since I don't have the cables at hand.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Did I enjoy the 4 hour drive? Not really. Did I enjoy listening to the football on the way home? No.

I did enjoy picking up some decent seats for just £100 and chatting with a serial VAG owner

I think a leather refresh is in order, and the plastics need a good scrub, missing a few bits of trim too. But all together a nice clean set.
56b6e1dc4faecfe5de06363eb0f6051d.jpg

Sent from my CPH2067 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
So ive been waiting over a week for a nice LCR steering wheel and a pair of 25mm spacers for the rears :(

I'm losing patience as I'm itching to get things started.

I have, however, sorted a full steam clean and leather treatment for the seats for £40 - happening on Saturday.

So hopefully this weekend I will have everything!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
A late night delivery from a local VW lad on his way back from a date in Taco Bell

20mm spacers for the rears and a pretty decent condition LCR wheel. I believe the golf airbag will fit, and only some minor wear considering its age.

Not sure the neighbours will appreciate me doing it now, so might have to wait until I have time

101 - 120 of 169 Posts