Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Well that was a long day.

Drive two hours to collect the seats, and was kept waiting for 45 minutes. Then on another hour and 15 to my daughters. Seats in good shape bar one small cig burn in the rear base. Door cards needed a few fixes as I found out later in the evening.

The new gasket was 2.32 mm thick if I recall correctly, the old one 1.72 mm. It was also a much tighter fit around the bolts themselves. I did not road test the car last night. Instead spent from 620 pm until 1245 am working my way through the jobs. So in all that time I got the old gasket off, cleaned up the instant gasket we had used to try to get it to seal, got that awkward snapped bolt out (that took way longer than it should have done - the bolt had snapped into a bit of a point so I could not get a drill into it to then use the extractor). Put the new gasket on and torqued it up. Cleaned a fair bit of the oil from the back of the engine. Left the oil that had sprayed along the underside of the car from the back of the undertray.

Fitted the leather interior and fixed the door cards - broken bits including the door pull area for the driver's door. also swapped over the electric mirror controller from the door as that was goosed on the door card I collected earlier.Aalso, one of the circular holes for the lock plunger was missing so pulled that from one of the existing door cards. Took me ages because I was getting tired. Glad I took all my tools and the q bond.

Could not see anything obvious with the speedo - did not drop the engine mount.

Hopefully, that will suffice for now. Ended up staying over and leaving early doors for the 2-hour drive home.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Grabbed a couple of bits at the scrapyard yesterday - the correct seat belt mounts for the centre seatbelt in the rear seat and a cowl for the side mount intercooler. I will fit them next time I see the car. Also, the Audi TT Mk1 strut top mount arrived at mine.

White Automotive lighting Light Black Automotive design

Removing and re-fitting the cluster when we installed the seats has stopped the random speedo needle drop to zero that was occurring.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Saw the car this weekend - fitted the intercooler cowling and the correct seat belt mount for the rear. My daughter said she hears an occasional clunk at the front end. I checked the arms, ball joints and track rod ends - could see nothing obvious. I asked her to let me know if it gets any worse.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts