Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
I would've said the exact same the relay for the lot is in the hazard switch so if it still acts up after that it can only be dirt that is causing it and rarely it is the stalk. But it could be that also

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the help on the side repeaters. Had a deeper look at the one that was not working - some corrosion I had not spotted further down. My pal Steve sorted that.

Ian welded the small patch weld on the subframe and found the vacuum leak (I had not connected one of the small pipes) that was preventing the boost. The car pulls well now. will get some miles on it after MOT tomorrow, assuming it passes, and then check it all over again on Thursday - still might have a small leak from the rocker cover which can be addressed.

·
Registered
03 Pd130 Sport/2x A3 pd130/E39 539d MTech
17 Posts
Loving the attention to detail/time,/effort in yr build...so many of these old vags are being crushed in place of overstressed plastic shite with a shelflife of 100kmiles before computer says no..🤪Built in obsolescence..! Anyroad I noticed you mentioned something about coilovers in one of yr previous posts...from past experience of buying a car with 40mm.,? coilovers that sat on the original 16inch BBS gti style wheels it would bottom out on any kinda bumpy roads or any inclining driveways.... this must happened a lot as when I got it on lift it was clean previous owner had replaced sump recently as it would had cracked into pieces so beware especially if you live in countryside with windy bumpy lanes..set coils at highest or try get set of pd150 sport springs,they're 10/15mm lower from factory and yr 15inch wheels would be fine and wouldn't be big gap in the wheel arch....😇 or just get shallow steel sump like all the Bora heads over here

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Loving the attention to detail/time,/effort in yr build...so many of these old vags are being crushed in place of overstressed plastic shite with a shelflife of 100kmiles before computer says no..🤪Built in obsolescence..! Anyroad I noticed you mentioned something about coilovers in one of yr previous posts...from past experience of buying a car with 40mm.,? coilovers that sat on the original 16inch BBS gti style wheels it would bottom out on any kinda bumpy roads or any inclining driveways.... this must happened a lot as when I got it on lift it was clean previous owner had replaced sump recently as it would had cracked into pieces so beware especially if you live in countryside with windy bumpy lanes..set coils at highest or try get set of pd150 sport springs,they're 10/15mm lower from factory and yr 15inch wheels would be fine and wouldn't be big gap in the wheel arch....😇 or just get shallow steel sump like all the Bora heads over here
Thank you, Many of the old VAGs like the Mk 4's and Boras are way too good to crush.

I am winding up the coilovers to get as much height as I can. The roads in the Lake District are not great. Might end up running the winter tyres on the Avus 2 year-round as she does on the 1.4 Golf. She only does about 5000 miles a year. Another solution I have read about is the get spacers under the engine mounts that raises the engine - also helps the angle of the lower control arms and the driveshafts. Also, a steel sump guard is something I have considered.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
MOT passed with no advisories.

Alignment done.

Visited scrap yard to get a few more bits..

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget Bumper

Have put about 15 miles on the car. Runs well. A few rattles and odd noises to get to bottom of. Will test some more after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Enabled auto lock and unlock, windows open and close on fob.

The car starts and runs well, runs straight and true, pulls well, stops really well and has surprised me with cornering, especially in the wet.

Solved a slight coolant leak, at least I think I have. I had not moved the hose clamp into its home position on the small return line from the back left of the cylinder head behind the tandem pump

Still losing a little oil from the rocker cover back right - edit - back left next to tandem pump. I'll pull it off again tomorrow and add more instant gasket. If that fails I will swap the cover with the pd150 I have waiting for it's turn in the workshop. The Friday afternoon deadline is approaching.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Runs well now. More responsive and torquey so more relaxed to drive. I love these old golfs, always puts a smile on my face driving them.

Still think there are wheel bearing noises. My pal the mechanic is going to have a drive later today and see what he thinks. Same for the oil seep from the rocker cover. Everything else seems all good now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Defo front left wheel bearing but no play and it is only a touch noisy so I'll let my daughter drive as is and sort it later in the year.

Hope to get seats on the way up either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll strip out the other seats and just head up with the driver's seat in place then I can fit them.

Going to take off the broken rocker cover now ready for the morning. it's raining hard here so I'll not be working outside in the dark and wet on the silver one. might just leave early for the breakers and pick another one - I recall seeing a few there earlier this week.

I reckon those leather seats will clean up well. I can add the heated switches and a kufatec loom at a later date.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I used VAG Tacho to read and the upload the revised EEPROM file I created. and VAG EEPROM Programmer to change the hex code.

Only works on certain clusters - i searched for enable MTE on here and read the threads to find the info i wanted. From memory (my notes are in the car) you change $416 from c1 to e1

this should help you How To: Miles to empty and illuminated needles on a VDO...

Also used it to make a note of the SKC code (PIN number) so i can code in another key in the future.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Found a replacement rocker cover. The gasket sits better in it compared to the original cover so I am thinking the original cover may have got distorted over time.

Also picked up a door lock mechanism. If I get time before leaving tomorrow I'll fit it and see if we can get the interior and door lights to come on when the door opens. no idea though if the new lock works.

Still not heard back from the seller of those leather seats so that may not happen.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Took the car to the Lakes today to drop it off. ran fine but some smoke from back of engine when i got there and yep, the rocker cover gasket is leaking again. A fair dose of oil on the back of the engine and the exhaust and a fair bit worse than before. I bet it didn’t help that last night i had not put the breather pipe on, and today when I got there found that the bolt nearest the tandem pump has broken off, so that will need removing from the head. After all this i am thinking that the gasket itself which is not a genuine one could be to blame. So I will get a genuine vw one and get back up to the Lakes and fit that.

The fella selling those leather seats finally messaged me late tonight so having fitted the other sports seats i can swop to the leathers when i get them up there.

So close to finishing the project for now. I bought her 03 plate 1.4 MK 4 home. I have to service that, get it MOT'd and then i can sell it for her. A little difference in performance and handling compared to the one I dropped off.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Off tomorrow to collect the leather seats and door cards in Yorkshire. Then up the Lake District to work on the car. Got a few things to attend to.

The new rocker cover gasket arrived at her place from Darkside Developments. So I will be fitting that. Might see if there is a difference in height compared to the other one I fitted that leaks. Also got those three bolts I trimmed a couple of mm off that I can fit in that right corner, and I will be getting the broken bolt out of the head.

Fit the new seats and door cards, and clean and leather condition everything. I'll have to refit the mood lights to the underside of the front seats.

Got to fix a fault with the driver's rear window. It does not want to close without assistance. It goes part way up and moves towards the back of the car and jams in the channel then goes down courtesy of the lets not crush fingers idea.

The driver's headlight on the high beam is too high - am wondering if a bulb is not seated right.

The speedo was intermittently dropping on the way up. My daughter said it went off for a few minutes the other day. I plan on removing the gearbox engine mount and looking at the speedo sensor in the top of the gearbox - was thinking It may have got damaged or dislodged when I dropped the other side of the engine doing the cambelt. It does sit close under the engine mount. The other side of the engine was sat on wooden blocks for 3 weeks waiting on the cylinder head. it's easy enough to check, I can also check the connections at the back of the speedo housing.

Got a replacement glove box and a centre console panel from her old blue car that are in better condition than the ones currently in the car. So they will be swapped over and I will bring the old ones back to refit in the blue car that I am getting ready for selling.

Has the potential to be a longish night and then a 2 hour drive home.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts