Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Big thanks to my pal Ian tonight. He has been turning spanners for a living for more than 30 years.

The cylinder head all bolted down.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Timing belt on and all timed up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Got a fair bit done today.

Seal kit for injectors
Camera lens Font Gas Automotive tire Metal

Injectors clamped in
Automotive exterior Camshaft Motor vehicle Gas Metal

Injector rockers installed. Backlash set, new injector wiring loom installed.

Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive air manifold

New rocker cover gasket and tandem pump gasket etc, all buttoned up - a turbo pipe fitted, airbox back in. Intake and exhaust manifolds are all back on.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Tomorrow I will be fitting the covers on the cambelt, dipstick tube, fill with oil, fitting the engine mount, then the radiator and coolant. dogbone mount, exhaust to turbo then can see if she runs.

Also got new inner tie rods, track rod ends and ball joints. a small spot of welding on the subframe and we should be good to go for an MOT and start road testing. I will also need to set the height of the coilovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Got it all put back together today. Starts and runs, and leaks oil...
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Grille Vehicle Car

So I pulled the rocker cover off to find it leaking from the back of the new rocker cover gasket. I'll get some sealant tomorrow and put a wee smear on there and try again. then I need a couple of the indicator repeater bulbs for the wings, the small patch welding on the subframe. A check over of the brake lines when it is up on a ramp and then off for mot on monday.

Will give the engine bay a proper clean as well.

And then I can start cleaning up the outside.

Also added a few holes to the wheel arch liner to get a little more airflow across the intercooler. Looking at this pic now I think ill add 2 more rows to the right and another along the top.

Automotive tire Wood Grey Wall Fender

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
I would go to the scrappy and grab the rear vent that is hidden under the rear bumper... than just cut a hole to fit it some sealant and pop-rivet it in place.. that way you have maximum ventilation that won't let any dirt or water through and it''ll look more OEM ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I would go to the scrappy and grab the rear vent that is hidden under the rear bumper... than just cut a hole to fit it some sealant and pop-rivet it in place.. that way you have maximum ventilation that won't let any dirt or water through and it''ll look more OEM ;)
I like that idea thank you.

New dipstick tube fitted.

Rocker cover sealant applied and refitted.

Car is finally off axles stands and back on it's wheels.

Will start cleaning tomorrow.

A little spot of welding is being done Monday on the subframe. My mechanic pal will be checking over my work and stuff for MOT.

MOT and alignment on Tuesday.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice day for a clean..

Washed twice
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Clay bar on my workbench afterwards. Poor thing is exhausted.

Liquid Flash photography Gesture Wood Font

Washed a third time.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side-view mirror

Dried off

Autoglym resin polish
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

And not looking too bad for a 20 year old - plenty of scuffs and wee dents but not bad overall.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll paint the wheels in a few weeks - got a set of 15 inch Avus with winter tyres to swap over from the Golf she is selling for the rest of the potential bad weather where the car will be living in the Lake District.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Checking things over for the MOT tomorrow - the side repeaters in the wings are not working. The indicators are not flashing faster than normal. have changed bulbs with known working ones from the silver golf, and still not working.

Any ideas, please?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts