Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a black 02 plate PD130 4 door as a project to rebuild for my daughter to drive. She has a 1.4 Mk4 right now and I suggested she might enjoy a more powerful diesel. She wanted a black or a grey one.

So I bought one on eBay for spares and repairs with a big history file and plenty of receipts. MOT was nearly out. The previous owner of 11 years and I had a lengthy discussion after I drove 11 miles and it started to overheat. Limped the car back and the discussion culminated in me getting some more money off and car being transported back to mine 3 days later.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Window

Ready for the drive home:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Once I got it home did a sniff test on the coolant (rusty water and pink coolant mix) and there was some hydrocarbon contamination so thought best to get the cylinder head off.

Got the car in the garage and started to list things to fix. In no particular order...

Exterior:
new aerial. put a stubby one on:
Wood Tints and shades Flooring Gas Automotive exterior

Drivers side inner door handle was repaired badly with a long nail and epoxy. Replaced with a used unit.

Wood Gadget Font Metal Office equipment

And the one I had on the shelf

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting

Passenger door front:
mirror - glue crack in black plastic lower surround.
reset latch so door closes properly - triple square fasteners were loose.
dents front edge
dropped on hinge - re-positioned hinges to remedy.

Drivers door:
dent rear edge, tapped it out
rub strip loose - glue back in place
window - loose at back edge. Refit glass to back metal clip on the regulator. Window glass was sat outside the rear clip resting on the bolt.
dropped on hinge - re-positioned hinges to remedy.
split in door rubber at bottom - glue back together.

Hatchback - wiring loom inside grommet had chaffed through the coating on three wires.

2 wings (rusty and badly bodged repairs). here's one removed - nice attempted repair with filler and a cut apart drinks can.

Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tire Tread

Car came with a second-hand wing for the nearside - has a few small dents but paint is good. (You'll see new discs - more on brakes in a bit)

Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Drivers wing got a newly painted wing from Lothian

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Brakes

Rear Clean slides, paint calipers, disks are ok, pads about 50% worn. Rough with sandpaper then re-fit as it.
Fronts - free off slides, paint calipers, replace pads (inner surface particularly bad) and discs. Pagid brake parts.
Use pressure bleeder to push new brake fluid through system.

Old front disks:

Automotive tire Wheel Rim Wood Automotive wheel system

New

Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Composite material Circle

Suspension
Replace work out shocks and springs with JOM coilovers, new strut tops and bearings.
New lower control arms.Driveshaft CV boot inner

Fluid Automotive tire Gas Paint Cable

Back left

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Before the second coat of caliper red paint (I did clean up the overpaint on the brake line)

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Fender Bumper

Front right

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Tread

Cooling system
The radiator has evidence of a leak. Got a new Nissen rad to fit once I get the head back from the engineering shop.

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive tire Grille Road surface

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Material property Bumper

Replaced thermostat.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Water pump plastic impeller had failed in its bonding to the metal drive shaft.

Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Auto part

Once I get the head back I can replaced the water pump along with timing belt, and tensioner (old tensioner piston was also seized solid). Full flush of cooling system and heater matrix with distilled water and white vinegar. During rebuild refill with correct G12 coolant.

Working my way in.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Cylinder head off ready to go to Eric Hammonds to be skimmed pressure tested and check camshaft and lifters etc. Replace valve stem oil seals, valve guides. Waiting on that now.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Hood

Once I get the head back I can rebuild.

Meantime have done most of the service items.

Air filter old and new:

Rectangle Wood Grille Font Automotive lighting

Cabin filter old and new:
Grille Wood Fixture Gas Automotive lighting

Fuel filter old and new:

Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part

I have changed the gearbox oil.

Flushed and replaced power steering fluid.

Reset the gear lever linkage and lubed the ends.

I'll tighten the clips on the injector loom when the head comes back.

Got 4 new glow plugs to fit.

Have fitted a new glow plug harness.

New aux belt to go on.

Interior - ill be taking the seats and steering wheel out and swapping those from my daughters 1.4 - the sports seats and steering wheel i put in that are in much better condition.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also swapping over the double din aftermarket head unit from her 1.4.

Auxilliary belt tension bearing was a bit noisy. Stripped, cleaned and repacked with grease.

Refurbished the key with a new button part. ordered a new VW small circular badge for the same. New battery fitted to key.

Egr delete completed:

Camera accessory Auto part Machine Metal Nickel

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Water

I have cleaned up all the intake piping. Got new metal clips for when they are refitted.

The intercooler had 2 bolts missing from the mounts so it had moved around and damaged the aircon pipe:

Automotive tire Wood Tread Grey Synthetic rubber

Going to leave that for now.

The washer bottle was leaking - was a pipe for the rear washer pulled off. I will be checking if the rear washer works once I get the battery back in.

I worked off most of the surface rust on the underside and treated it all with hydrate 80, then a quick couple of coats of satin black paint. won't stop the inevitable tin worm but have used that for years and it certainly slows it down.

I'll be swapping over her winter tyres on 15 inch wheels from her 1.4 to this one for the remainder of the winter. will give me a chance the refurb these 17's for the summer for her.

Once it is all buttoned up I will get the MOT done, fix anything else it needs for that and then test it for a few days.

Want to fit a 20% dark tint to the rear of the car.

I'll pop a 165 bhp map in.

I bought a pd150 Highline '02 plate in silver for myself as the next project. I'll create another build thread for that.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
good to see someone literally rebuilding the engine the way it should be done... i have one tip though because the head is off you might as well take the bottom block apart and make sure it doesn't need new bearings/ gaskets/ oil seals... and you can also change the DMF, clutch, release bearing and the CSC while you are at it... and it would be stupid if you didn't replace the gearbox oil too if you go that far.

meaning when you are done the engine will have had a complete rebuild, and shouldn't give you any hassle for a long time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
good to see someone literally rebuilding the engine the way it should be done... i have one tip though because the head is off you might as well take the bottom block apart and make sure it doesn't need new bearings/ gaskets/ oil seals... and you can also change the DMF, clutch, release bearing and the CSC while you are at it... and it would be stupid if you didn't replace the gearbox oil too if you go that far.

meaning when you are done the engine will have had a complete rebuild, and shouldn't give you any hassle for a long time.
Hiya everyone..
Lovely jobs you are doing on car :) one question though, you say you are getting head skimmed......i thought that the pd130/150 heads couldn't be skimmed because of tight clearances between pistons/valve gear etc.....sorry if i'm wrong but am sure i read it somewhere...good luck with daughters project.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

cheers.

I had thought about doing the bottom as well. My daughter could do with the car this weekend so I doubt I can get the bottom pulled apart with other time commitments. Same for the clutch - I can always do that another time, it is not too bad a job. Did one with a mate on my VRS pd estate in October before I sold that. I did change the gearbox oil the other day.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya everyone..
Lovely jobs you are doing on car :) one question though, you say you are getting head skimmed......i thought that the pd130/150 heads couldn't be skimmed because of tight clearances between pistons/valve gear etc.....sorry if i'm wrong but am sure i read it somewhere...good luck with daughters project.
I remember reading that too. when I checked with him he said if it needs skimming there are three thicknesses of head gasket so we would move up one thickness to counter that problem.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Door trim lifting away from the door.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Tints and shades Tire

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Wood

Started cleaning up the inside. Interestingly in the back were 4 floor mats on each side. The ones at the top are cleaner and less worn than those underneath.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New wipers blades on.

Screenwash bottle all topped up.

Drives left foot rest was loose - refitted it into the slot and added a few missing screws to trim around the left trim in that area.

Removed some spurious wiring from behind the dash - looks like it was from a parrot handsfree system - that is no longer in the car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome work, great to see another MK4 being brought back!
Thank you. They are too good to scrap and part out, in my mind. Hoping I get the rebuilt head and new camshaft etc back this week so I can get her built up and running. My daughter has asked for a few personalisations to be done so I will add pics of those as I get them done. TT pedals, some ambient lighting and so on.

Then I can start on the silver PD150 I bought that had been parked up for a year in a garden. Will need less work than this (hopefully) to bring it back into use. Not sure if I will keep that one for a bit. I am hankering after an estate.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went off to the scrap yard today for a few bits

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Parcel shelf

Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Motor vehicle

Drivers side sunvisor

Gadget Office supplies Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part

TT style pedal covers fitted.
Automotive tire Flash photography Automotive design Wood Rectangle

Got the new boot on the CV to replace the bodged repair car came with.

Coil Coil spring Gas Audio equipment Auto part

The cylinder head is all done. Valves lapped, new valve guides for the exhaust valves, new valve stem seals, new camshaft, bearings and lifters. Getting the head gasket tomorrow lunchtime, and the new injector wiring loom. I should be able to get some time into it on Thursday evening to get head completed and on. New glow plugs, timing belt and timing all set. Then we can see if she runs and doesn’t leak.

Automotive tire Light Hood Motor vehicle Black

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Sleeve

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Warm white leds into the rear reading lights.

New heater control dials.

Carbon fibre vinyl centre dash area. Might do edges of buttons too. The audio units are loose ready for the double din unit from her other golf.
Radio Automotive design Automotive tire Steering wheel Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 64 Posts