Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my cars suffering from two problems that VW "cant replicate" and a couple of others

1) the starter motor seems to be randomly sticking when I start the car. Normally when cold.. Makes a really nasty noise.. VW cant replicate the problem suprise suprise... Has this happened to anyone else.. Also if the startermotor keeps sticking am I gonna totally brake it by using it all the time??

2) Metalic clunking noise coming from back of the car.. Exhaust maybe?? This strange metalic noise keeps coming from the back of the car... is stopped if you go over a speedbump etc etc... Any ideas?? I cant see anything loose under the car.. again no doubt VW wont be able to fix this

3) Strange engine note at 2000rpm... Apparently caused by the air filter housing.. VW cant fix it and given up.. Not happy about that

4) The cable that runs from the bottom of the seatbelt clip to under the seat is loose as the plastic that keeps it out of the way has fallen off... I found the platic few weeks ago.. COultnt work out where it was from.. and now I cant find it... Whats the chances of VW trying to charge me for a new plastic bit [:mad:]

Rant over

Not a happy MKV owner... This WILL be my last VW for a long time... Now wheres the cars keys.. My local Ford Dealer have a new ST in that they will give me a discount of 1k off list price!

Chris [:(]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car purchased and Serviced up at Durham!!

I have tried darlo too and they are just as bad [:(]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Stick with it Mate, don't jup out the frying pan Blah blah, Fords have there problems too.

Re.. rear end rattle, could it be the top mounts of the rear shocks, just a thought as you say it stops when you load the rear end up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I know how you feel, I've already started to look for something else, although I do like the VW. I've got a 3door ST3 arriving next week, I've booked it for a 3 day Demo I'll let you know what I think and how bad the fuel consumption is !!!! I've seen your post's of the FSTOC too ... go on get one !

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
leave it on the drive with the wheels off the floor and the car in 5th with a brick on the accelerator ... 60k will soon come around ![:D]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... go on get one !
Stop it, My girlfirends saying the same thing LOL

I have been offered a good deal on one... they are awesome to drive too....

But its alot of money and c*** fuel consumption

I have applied for a job in Sunderland (50mile round trip) so it would be a problem there...

Other option is to buy an old banger for the commute (which my mum thinks is a bad idea [:(])

Also been looking at seat leon FR's but again same basics as the MKV golf.. which i cant say i fully trust anymore [:'(]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The FR looks nice, but as you say its still a Golf. I wouldn't buy a banger, for a 50 mile commute you want something comfortable and reliable. How about a mondeo ST (I have one of those on demo at the end of the month !!!!)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Considered that.. just a bit big for me [:$]

When is say banger.. i dont mean anything too bad.. mayb a 51-02 plate Diesel fiesta or something

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Could do ... but then you have 2 lots of insurance, tax ..... then there is parking ... I've got 3 cars and thats more than enough. I'd just have the one. I also looked at the 225 sport and the VXR astr and the 888 Astra Diesel.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah parking is a problem... The ST would be locked up in our rear yard, and my parents car and "the banger" out front

Only thing I need 5doors due to elderly grandparents.. So VXR is a no go.

Other thing putting me off the focus is the fact "do i really need 225 bhp" and the answer is no i just want it lol

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah parking is a problem... The ST would be locked up in our rear yard, and my parents car and "the banger" out front

Only thing I need 5doors due to elderly grandparents.. So VXR is a no go.

Other thing putting me off the focus is the fact "do i really need 225 bhp" and the answer is no i just want it lol

Anyone got any more ideas about the problems with my golf??

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the sticking starter motor problem on my Polo mines was doing it on almost every startup, I was going to book it in for a new one (out of warranty) without even hearing it the dealer said that it should just need a clean down and not replaced they did this for ?40 and it never once stuck again.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another problem

My speakers have blown! Or seem to have

Started car nasty noise thru the speakers climate etc all restarted and no sound from the CD player.. Oh great

·
Registered
50 Posts
hi Chris

I have a mkv 1.6auto

I get problem 1 and 3 as you have described them and also been told that nothing can be done.

Its such a nice car to drive when u get passed all the niglly bits but like yourself i think after this i wont be getting a vw again .. bracks too 'grabby' for my likeing

peace
Al

1 - 20 of 29 Posts