Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all....

had he AA out today to diagnose my misfirings.... fault showing are misfire on cylinder 5. when i had it serviced 4 weeks ago they couldnt remove a spark plug without taking the head off so left it in at my discretion.

i have an AA parts cover and as they dont cover service items such as plugs/leads, he has put me down for a new coil pack for the sake of it. the AA will shell out for this to be bought and fitted at a garage of my choice for the £25 admin fee but he has said that ill need to replace the plug that is dead on cylinder 5 maybe the leads aswell.

where i m going with this is id like to know what a realistic price would be for an indi garage to remove the head in order to replace the spark plug and how much ht leads are and decent spark plugs?

i am also new to hertfordshire and need a garage, am willing to travel on good recommendations but need to know it will be sorted.

any help would be much appreciated and if any of you think you can fix this or have done in the past, i am happy to sort you out obviously.

cheers people, have a good new years....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Head off to do spark plugs?! I'm surprised that's the case on a V6 4mo engine, I could replace all of the plugs on my mk3 VR6, back in the day, I did however make a tubular tool out of aluminium to get the leads off without damaging them first.

Can anyone confirm if spark plugs on a V6 4mo really are a head off job, for any of the cylinders?

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
The head doesnt need to be removed to remove the spark plugs. Theres must be a problem if it does, maybe the plug is seized or has maybe even snapped or the threads may have been stripped.

Peter

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry guys, after re-reading, i wasnt anywhere near as clear as i thought i was.... spark plug is seized, my former mechanic apparently put some good time into to trying to remove it as did the AA fella.

i have had it from a third source this morning that the head needs to be removed so just wondering what this involved and how much im looking at realistically (incl parts/labour/plugs and new leads)

thanks guys

·
Registered
379 Posts
I sheered a spark plug in my motorbike engine one, luckily the engine had not gone in to the bike at the time giving plenty of access. When the plug snapped the socket shaped part and the ceramic centre all came out as one piece leaving the hollow threaded bit in the head. Using tools that are like drill bits call easy-outs, I was able to screw in to the stuck piece of spark plug (anti-clockwise) and then removed it.

Lucky escape, which saved me having to remove and replace the head gasket, maybe you could ask a garage about doing this first, but be prepared to have the head removed at the same location should the plug sheer off and you can't get the rest out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried an anti-sieze spray such as pro gas or similar(halfords sell one)..Failing that try one of those pencil flame gas solderers that have a FINE jet to heat up the plug thread in the head...Heat usually works but access would be very difficult.. but worth a try before having to remove the head.

·
Registered
161 Posts
sounds like a sticky situation! have you tried taking it out when the engine is at full temperature? if they're taking the head off, you can price it like a cambelt change + plugs leads and a few more hours labour for removing the head and plug from the head.

personally i would flood the plug hole with penetrating oil over night (then drain it) then unplug the fan let it get up to about 100 degrees and try to loosen it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sounds like a sticky situation! have you tried taking it out when the engine is at full temperature? if they're taking the head off, you can price it like a cambelt change + plugs leads and a few more hours labour for removing the head and plug from the head.

personally i would flood the plug hole with penetrating oil over night (then drain it) then unplug the fan let it get up to about 100 degrees and try to loosen it.

Thats worth a try too..HEAT is the only way with siezed threads.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried at full temp when it wasnt misfiring but its soooo bad to drive at the moment, i dont think i could get it warm enough to do again! what sort of money is a cambelt change then (wouldnt know having a chain and all!)?

my mate has a garage down in london where i used to live so im gonna give it to him for as long as he needs a i am fed up of seeing it look sorry for its self on my drive. all of your suggestions are much appreciated and ill pass them on to him, just fed up of it now.

if it is gonna cost too much i will selling the car as faulty or striping it down and selling it for parts, the missus is so fed up of my moods over the car that she is gonna let me buy a new one i think.

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Dont let something small sell your car.

Its timing chain on a 2.8 so i dont think you have to worry about belts getting changed. Im sure you can re-use the chains on them, but im not 100% sure as never known about the chain driven engines.

The plug might have also gone in crossed, which is why it could be a bitch to get out now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont let something small sell your car.

Its timing chain on a 2.8 so i dont think you have to worry about belts getting changed. Im sure you can re-use the chains on them, but im not 100% sure as never known about the chain driven engines.

The plug might have also gone in crossed, which is why it could be a bitch to get out now.
i think you misread it mate, someone above had said that he pricing to remove head would be similar to a belt change because of the work involved so i was looking for that cost.

its not just plugs and misfirings, have a constant problem with the ARB bushes and i know its only a small problem but the rattling returns everytime its fixed and it wears me down tbh. ill see what my mates garage says and hope they can sort it ALL out.

to be fair, i cant find the sort of speed the 4mo gives me for anywhere near the money ill get for it. unless someone wants to px their r32 with money my way! [Y]

cheers mate

·
Registered
364 Posts
i would definately try warming the engine up and then try to remove the plug as heat allows the metals to expand.......if not then try warming the plug..........

try your options before removing the head.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
why not try to fit new ht leads first? if that solves the problem then why do you need to remove the plug?

would there not be anything that you can but to run through the engine to clean the spark plug?

is a plug not tesable? putting power to it and listening for any noise.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why not try to fit new ht leads first? if that solves the problem then why do you need to remove the plug?

would there not be anything that you can but to run through the engine to clean the spark plug?

is a plug not tesable? putting power to it and listening for any noise.
tried some leads of my mates, he only bought them in the summer and it didnt improve so doubt they are a problem tbh.

dont know what i could do to clean it, any suggestions appreciated [Y]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts