Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a Vehicle Diagnosis on my car from VW and they are saying that I have a Malfunction in the cooling system, Sporadic.

I have got the full working version of VAG COM, and it did not pick-up this fault. Can anyone here help me Diagnose the problem fervour with VAG COM, or could some one point me in the wright direction as to what these code mean.

Cheers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The purpose of a forum is that poeple can respond as soon as they find time. Posting a topic around noon and then bumping it an hour later won't help much since most of those who could answer are still at work. So next time when posting give people more time to answer instead of chasing them away with your impatience. The other thing you could have tried is searching the known resources...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17704/P1296/004758

·
Registered
703 Posts
I dont think that the VAG-COM picks up fan issues.

Do a search for Andymac's very exhaustive and excellent information on the subject of fan failure.

Essentially stand by the car, turn on the AC (AUTO MODE if climate) and listen, if the fans switch on randomly at high speed and neither run at a constant low speed, your fan resistor has blown and this is the fault that can be covered by a DIY fix or a full fan replacement job.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have managed to scan my car again with VAG COM and I am now getting this error.
VAG-COM Version: Release 512.4-UD
Wednesday,27,September,2006,15:44:49
Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57 76 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Address 01: Engine Part No: 06A 906 032 DR Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0003 Coding: 11500 Shop #: WSC 13110
1 Fault Found:17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (check Temp-Sensor and Thermostat) P1296 - 35-10 - - - IntermittentReadiness: 0000 0000

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The purpose of a forum is that poeple can respond as soon as they find time. Posting a topic around noon and then bumping it an hour later won't help much since most of those who could answer are still at work. So next time when posting give people more time to answer instead of chasing them away with your impatience. The other thing you could have tried is searching the known resources...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17704/P1296/004758
Sorry, just a bit impatience. I will do that search, thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No prob. [:)]

FWIW, the most common problem with this fault is the coolant temperature sensor, so I'd start with checking/replacing that one.

P.S.: Feel free to update to the latest VAG-COM release 607.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/current.html
Good idear. I will update to release 607. Do you know where I might fine the coolant temperature sensor on the car.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I have just had a Vehicle Diagnosis on my car from VW and they are saying that I have a Malfunction in the cooling system, Sporadic.
A sporadic fault, AFAIK is a fault that only happened once, and for a split second, then has never shown up again.

I may be wrong but this is what VW told me when I had a sporadic fault on my airbag that they cleared for me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A sporadic fault, AFAIK is a fault that only happened once, and for a split second, then has never shown up again.

I may be wrong but this is what VW told me when I had a sporadic fault on my airbag that they cleared for me.
Good point and I was thinking that myself. The thing is, my temperature gauge is working. If I am right in thinking, the "temperature gauge" would not work if I had a faulty temperature sensor. Or am I wrong about this.
Also, would it be a good idea to delete the fault, and see if it come s back again.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Intermittend means the fault was active for an unkown time frame, that means something between seconds and ages. The coolant temperature sensor is actually a double temperature sensor, which means 2 in 1. G62 is used for the engine and G2 is used for the gauge in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intermittend means the fault was active for an unkown time frame, that means something between seconds and ages. The coolant temperature sensor is actually a double temperature sensor, which means 2 in 1. G62 is used for the engine and G2 is used for the gauge in the instrument cluster.
I see. I think I will change the sensor just to be on the safe side. Now if only I could find it. :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
On the right hand side of the block (when viewed looking from the front towards the back of the car) there is a plastic coolant manifold and it is on there.

When you go to parts take your vin with you and make sure you get a new O-Ring. You can change it on without draining as long as the coolant is cold, release the pressure by taking the cap off and then the sensor is held in with a slide lock (flat screw driver will remove it), you will only loose about a thimble full of coolant. Make sure that the old O-Ring comes out with the old sensor.

BUT MAKE SURE THAT IT IS COOL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the right hand side of the block (when viewed looking from the front towards the back of the car) there is a plastic coolant manifold and it is on there.

When you go to parts take your vin with you and make sure you get a new O-Ring. You can change it on without draining as long as the coolant is cold, release the pressure by taking the cap off and then the sensor is held in with a slide lock (flat screw driver will remove it), you will only loose about a thimble full of coolant. Make sure that the old O-Ring comes out with the old sensor.

BUT MAKE SURE THAT IT IS COOL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS.
Thanks alot for your help. If I take a picrure of my engine, could you point it out to me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I managed to put the new sencor on today, but a lot of coolant come out from the sensor pipe, I would say about 300ml. Is that ok, I have replaced the coolant which was lost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts