Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

picked up my new Gti from Hull on Wednesday 19th April 06. The sticker on the door and the service book both say it is set to long life service. The car was pdi'd about a month before I picked it up(cancelled order), and had 1 mile on the clock on collection. Since then I have covered 510 miles. About 400 of these have been at 70-80 on the motorway, and the rest around town, or on dual carriageway in traffic - I go up a steep hill to High Wycombe in traffic every day; car has not been above 3500 revs either. The service interval seems to be dropping like a stone !!! It took a couple of days to give a reading, I think it was 2 days after collection, it said 17,000 miles and 701 days to service. It now says 12,600 miles or 471 days. At this rate I 'l be serviceing it at the end of May!!! Have I got the 'service software bug'? or will it start to climb as I start to do longer runs. My concern is that even if the mileage was dropping the 'days to' display should be counting down one day at a time as it did in my last Mk5 TDi. Has anyone else come across this ?

Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
A bit odd as you're keeping it within the limits for running in.

Its normal for it not to give a read out for the first few days whilst the computer establishes a 'driving style'.

I personally doubt it has a software bug but needs more time to establish a 'pattern' of usage.

As you say its only 10 days so far & just 510 miles.

If its getting shortish journeys creeping in traffic each day its not getting a picture of your potential overall use perhaps & thats the reason its dropped as it has ?

I'd just keep an eye on it over a longer mileage / time period myself to see if it 'settles' down & the figures even out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unless someone corrects me here I think there is a problem.

The Mileage is supposed to be variable, obviously depending on certain aspects of the cars driven characteristics.

But the 'days to go' should only decrease on a daily basis i.e. if it says 500 days to service today -then the next day it will be 499, the next 498 and so on.

I would get it back to the dealer for a check up.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Unless someone corrects me here I think there is a problem.

The Mileage is supposed to be variable, obviously depending on certain aspects of the cars driven characteristics.

But the 'days to go' should only decrease on a daily basis i.e. if it says 500 days to service today -then the next day it will be 499, the next 498 and so on.

I would get it back to the dealer for a check up.
Top notch observation - the mileage might be erratic for several hundred miles - but the days to service should drop at a steady rate - one a day funnily enough.

Wonder if VW have introduced yet ANOTHER bug into the servicing counter... As simfin says, report to your dealer for advice mate [y]

C

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

The time to the next service is the variable factor - thats why they call it variable servicing. If what you are saying was correct, the car would 'know' when it needed servicing when it was new and immediately after a service, Of course, it does not and that is why it does not simply count down one day at a time. It tells you how many days it thinks are to go before the next service at any given time based on the pattern of driving since the last one. This obviously varies over time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From what I can tell on my car it estimates the mileage to the next service, but the days count down to the maximum of 24 months.

Is it possible there's a difference in the software between the TDI and GTI?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The time to the next service is the variable factor - thats why they call it variable servicing. If what you are saying was correct, the car would 'know' when it needed servicing when it was new and immediately after a service, Of course, it does not and that is why it does not simply count down one day at a time. It tells you how many days it thinks are to go before the next service at any given time based on the pattern of driving since the last one. This obviously varies over time.
Not how I understood it at all - the mileage should vary but the time should be static as I believe someone else said to no less than 2 years (sounds about right) - the timer shouldn't keep varying, as that's the "last resort - this is the latest you can service your car before it deteriorates" kinda thing.

If the days remaining continues to drop erratically, I still reckon there's an issue.

C

·
Registered
313 Posts

Incorrect. The service regime is up to a "variable mileage' ---- or 2 years

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd be a little surprised at it only having 1 mile, sounds like it's been reset, normal pdi run will include a drive of 2-3 miles, plus of course, from factory/on off transport /ships etc.  I'd expect around 10-15 miles minimum if they had done the job properly.  Dealers can reset excess delivery miles as long as under 80 miles total.

·
Registered
894 Posts

I think as MarkV said its more likely to be a snap assessment of the number of days to the next service using the 'characteristics' at that point in time.

That way the driver is getting a continually updated assessment time wise when you might need to plan for a service. That seems to be a more logical function imo.

It would be interesting to clarify it though.

Anybody know a dealer really on the ball ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd be a little surprised at it only having 1 mile, sounds like it's been reset, normal pdi run will include a drive of 2-3 miles, plus of course, from factory/on off transport /ships etc. I'd expect around 10-15 miles minimum if they had done the job properly. Dealers can reset excess delivery miles as long as under 80 miles total.
exactly what i was going to say. we PDI about 25-30 cars a day where i work, sometimes more. each car normally comes in with about 4 or 5 miles on the clock, and by the time we have driven it around site and taken it on a short road test, its normally done about 7-10 miles. anything less and and it gets re-road tested and PDI'd to ensure it hasnt been missed out of the process. id question your dealer about this tbh.

Jamie

·
Registered
21 Posts
this is interesting. I got an 54plate GTI, i didnt follow the book as the dealer said drive it like your gonna end up driving it, so i did. I remember seeing the red line with only a few hundred on the clock.

Ive just broke 15000 and looks like ill be hitting 19000 before the first service is due :)

I guess maybe down the line there may be problems but by that time it will be long gone!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, I would have though the same, i.e the days were fixed, and the mileage varies, certainley was the same on my last Tdi. Can the mileage go up again if I start doing longer runs? Also yesterday the service indicator said 12,600 miles, and 471 days to service. Today I travelled 10 miles along the motorway to the supermarket at 75 mph, and 10 miles back. Got an update on the service indicator of 12,500 miles and 465 days. So a 20 miles round trip has cost me 6 days worth of service, and 100 miles. Eith something is serviously up with it or it will even out soon. I think I'll call VW UK customeer service on Tuesday.

Steve

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The days are not fixed. Mine vary hugely. At the moment I have 95 days until service, the car is only 12 months old.
Exactly what I am saying. How can the days be 'fixed' and count down one by one if the servicing is variable? If that was the case you would just book your next service when leaving after the previous one. Variable serving is variable, the cars computer continuously re-evaluates the driving regime and oil quality and advises when a service is needed. Come on, think chaps!

·
Registered
894 Posts
The days are not fixed. Mine vary hugely. At the moment I have 95 days until service, the car is only 12 months old.
Exactly what I am saying. How can the days be 'fixed' and count down one by one if the servicing is variable? If that was the case you would just book your next service when leaving after the previous one. Variable serving is variable, the cars computer continuously re-evaluates the driving regime and oil quality and advises when a service is needed. Come on, think chaps!
Agree with you both....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I rechecked mine earlier and it has counted down a day at a time. The mileage shown to next service is 14000 miles or 651 days but at the rate I've been covering distance since getting the car it'll be due in about a year.

It makes more sense to me for it to show the estimated distance (being variable) and maximum time, and while your cars are obviously varying the time according to the remaining distance it seems possible that certain versions of software may count down to the maximum 24 months, as mine appears to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that is what is concerning me. If what is happening on the GTi is standard and that is how the service interval works on them then so be it. But, my last MK5 Tdi did count down a day at a time and didnt loose 300-400 miles off teh time to service every time I drove a few miles up the dual carriageway etc.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts