Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first time post, ive tried my best trying to sort this issue but I really am stuck now. Hopefully someone could shine some light!
Have a 2003 mk4 Match 5 door, the original issue was there was no power at the rear left door. Nothing worked whatsoever, the dome light didnt turn on when opening the door manually, the red light on the window switch didnt turn on either.

I tested power at the B-pillar in the accordian cover, and then also had power at the plug that plugs into the window motor in the left rear door.

after doing research I ordered a locking module off fleabay, fitted it, didnt change anything.
Next i ordered the window motor as was told thats a door control module. Still nothing.
I then disconnected the battery for 15 mins and reconnected, then all hell broke loose guys.

Still no action happening with the rear left door, but its now accomanied by all dome lights slowly flashing, all red lights on all doors slowly flickering, and the left front, and right rear windows dont work properly. Auto doesnt work, and they stop intermittently.

would I be right in saying the CCM has thrown a wobbler? Is there a way to reset it?

when I just had the left rear door not working, i did have this fault code on VCDS: Address 17 Instruments - 01333 - Door Control Module: Rear Left (J388) 49-00 No Communications.

now after disconnecting the battery, a few other door control modules have no communication, and theres a fault with saying comfort data bus fault

can anybody shed some light? This car has only 32k miles from new, its mint, and was just trying to sort this door issue out prior to sale!

thanks, Billy

·
Registered
78 Posts
You won't like this but have you tried taking out all the new stuff and putting back the old and seeing if it's still doing the crazy stuff and throwing the code in scanner?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that when I get home. I was just hoping there was a way to reinitialise the windows and the CCM (if that is the problem) and a way to maybe tell the car that Ive put a new window module on the rear left door? I was just thinking maybe it doesnt recognise so I need to teach it in. I will try a post a copy of my VCDS scan results tonight

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as of now, I have refitted the "original" lock module on the nearside rear door. I have put the new ebay one to the side for the moment whilst I figure out how all these electrics work etc.
Also currently fitted the the nsr door is the "new" secondhand regulator motor I bought from ebay also. The part number for this is 1C0959811A. Is this the correct part to be able to communicate correctly with the CCM? The car is a 53 plate. I thought any part would plug and play lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why was the regulator swapped out? Did you swap out the full door inc harness?
He said it in the first msg, doesn't explain why just said he was told it was the regulator after swapping the lock.
My 2 cents is the spurious part from Fleabay is not what it is supposed to be or is wired up wrong inside, hence why all the weirdness with the dome lights etc.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i forst tried the lock module and it didnt work, but then upon looking up more on the door control module, quite a few people were saying that it is the little black box that comes prt of the window motor. But then whenever you type in door control module on google it brings up about the lock module?
So to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I just ordered both as everything I found was referring to them both as the door control module.
Is there any basic stuff I need to do like resetting the CCM or the window motor? Or does that not matter?
Im just shocked that not even the red window switch light comes on on the nsr door, its just a completely dead door

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plus I also tested all the lines in the big plug that plugs into the motor, I have power going there. So that also told me the motor could be dead, who knows. Ive fixed lods of stuff but this has completely thrown me

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
The CCM is the 'hub'. The window motor speaks to the CCM via. CAN and HAS to be correct, they cannot be swapped between years. Locks are independant from memory, it doesn't matter what ones you use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay say as suspected the window motor DOES play a role in the door electrics working. Okay its starting to make a little more sense now. The description on eBay from the seller I bought the motor from, said it was in working condition. It arrived very very well packaged, im talking layers and layers of bubble wrap. I can't imagine it suffered a bad knock during delivery. After fitting it, theres still "No Communications" with the door control module. Although I tested voltage to the module, is there a possibility it could still be the harness?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so ive carried out a scan of all control units using VCDS and these are the codes im getting now.

bare in mind before I touched anything the only code I had was No communications with rear left door control module.
After replacing the window motor and disconnecting the battery for 20 mins, I now have these codes along with all door lights flashing every 10 seconds, same as the overhead lights AND the 3 windows that did work now go up and down in sections, not in one smooth sweep.

in address 19: - 01336 - Company Data Bus for Comfort System 37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent.

- 01332 - Door control module; passenger side (j387) 49-10 - no communications - intermittent.

- 01333 - Door control module; rear left (j388 49-00 - no communications

the last code was the original code. The other two have croppedup after said work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so ive carried out a scan of all control units using VCDS and these are the codes im getting now.
Im getting no communication for all door modules now and Data Bus for Comfort System is faulty.

This tells me that the CCM has packed up?

on a side note, I cannot control the new window motor on the nsr door via the main drivers window switch pack. But I can operate it by the switch on the door itself. Still the red light for the switch doesnt light up and nor does the door unlock viakey fob or lock/unlock button on driver door.
Does this sound like a fishy CCM and "possibly" a harness en route to the nsr door? Sorry for the long posts I am trying to provide as much detail as possible as I am crying for advice

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
Right so you had a door comms issue, you swapped the window motor and now have the same issue as well as the other motors now not responding?

Sounds like the new module is dragging the comms line down for all the others too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All i had to start was a dead door. As of now the only changes are a new (same part number second hand) window motor and I disconnected both terminals of the battery for a bit. Connected it back up all the interior dome lighting and red lights on the doors are flashing every 5 second roughly. All windows do not go up and down in a smooth motion, like they need to be reinitialised. The locks keep engaging and disengaging without me doing anything.
The dead door window motor now works but only controllable via the window switch on that door. Trying to operate in from the drivers switches does not work.
The dead door still has no red lights on the button amd it still does not lock/unlock via the key fob and the lock button in the car.

very confused

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fault codes are 4 separate no communication faults for every door control module and a data bus for comfort system faulty.

forgot to say, the alarm keeps going off (hazards flashing) but now the siren doesnot sound. It worked before i touched the car, i opened the unlocked broken door whilst others were all locked and the siren went off.

so assuming with all these faults the CCM must be down.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,321 Posts
I'd need to go through the wiring diagram but from memory, the window motor speaks to the cluster via. CAN. CCM has no involvement.

If you disconnect the door fully, do you get the others responding?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try this next. I had to charge the battery at work because it run flat due to the alarm keep going off. Obviously with no sound I had no idea this was happening lol this problem just gets worse and worse!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the windows open normally using their respective buttons on the door, however, try open any window using the drivers switch pack, its as if it isnt normalised. The broken doors window motor doesnt react to inputs from the driver door. However works perfectly with the button on its own door. So strange I cant figure it out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so I disconnected the left rear door at the B-pillar like you suggested. Guess what? I now have normal functionality off the other three windows from the drivers window switch pack AND the interior lights do not flash intermittently. I think you may be onto something now. Maybe that "new" window motor has something to do with the other stuff acting weird. Its the same part number that my original motor is though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts