Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I had a scare, 2 minutes from setting off I had to stop and had very little or no servo.

When you deplete the vacuum then hold the peddle it takes ages to get boost again and you can feel it build up pressure in a non-linear way. If you take the the revs to 2000 the peddle gets full boost at the time where i would expect. The servo holds some vacuum when the engine is off for atleast one half an hour..

I have checked the pipework for splits all the way from the pump to the servo and never found anything but the pipe going onto the pump feels loose (as free as a radiator hose after removing a jubilee clip etc

Could this cause a problem? The other thing I have a problem with is that the boost pipe over the servo has been blowing for years (before me) and is caked with soot, could this block anything?

Any pointers would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump (well hopefully not)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to close this thread down, I found a vacuum leak on the egr tiny hose. now fixed the brakes are spot on again.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently the vaccum pipe was pulling enough air not cause a running problem but enough that the tiny resevoir could not recover the full servo quick enough.

Blocking the leak and the brakes felt perfect again.

I'm well happy after pricing up servos for the first time in my life [:O]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.