Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a GT TDI (150bhp) on a 02 plate. it has around 105000 miles but has been service iaw manufacturers advice.

i heard a tappet sort of noise when accerating the other day but did not think anything of it.

But yesterday the noise, got very bad, sounds like the engine is going to fall apart. really rattly.

happens under acceration and lots (i mean lots) of black smoke out the back end. there is not the power available there normally is?

The mechanic i took it too thinks it could be the intercooler. ?????

I have got it booked in for a inspection tomorrow morning but was hoping someone here might have heard or seen this fault.

Thnx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since friday the noise has definatly got worse.

i aint using the car at mo as i do 120 mile per day.

missus used the car this morn and said the noise is only apparent when in 1st and 2nd gears. mainly low revs ie 1-3000.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One thing to check, if you have your aircon on when it makes this noise then turn it off.

I have a rattle when my aircon is on which sounds very similar to what your describing. 1st and 2nd are noisy but you can barely hear it in 3rd and only really at low revs.

Just a thought.

Mart

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing to check, if you have your aircon on when it makes this noise then turn it off.

I have a rattle when my aircon is on which sounds very similar to what your describing. 1st and 2nd are noisy but you can barely hear it in 3rd and only really at low revs.

Just a thought.

Mart
I have tried this but even with the climatronic thing turned off the noise is still present.

Thnx for the suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke with the garage dealing with my car.

He said it requires a new engine :( , he also said he was surprised that the rods have not come out of the block yet.

Hopefully the 5* RAC warranty I took out will cover the cost of the repair.

Otherwise i am shafted.

Cant believe this, only bought the car at the end of Jan. And plumped for a Vw due to the reliability.

He said this cost around 5K to put right :O

·
Registered
97 Posts
sorry to hear that......

Did he say why it needed a new engine? What was wrong with it?

Sounds like the big end to me but not sure what would have caused it to go. 100k miles isn't a lot for a TDI.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
sorry to hear that......

100k miles isn't a lot for a TDI.
That's peanuts for a TDI, they're just getting warmed up by then...

Gutted for you mate - gone a bit extreme from a turbo to an entire engine hasn't it?? [:|]

C

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
an intercooler making a noise....thats comical.

sounds like the big end bearings, its cheaper to fit a new engine than repair it though. good luck with the RAC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update,

i spoke with the people dealing with the claim. He reckons a new engine should only cost around 2K. RAC will pay 1K.

I have had to pay ?320 for further fault diagnosis(6 hours labour..). They are stripping the engine as i type this.

Will update when i find out more....

·
Registered
158 Posts
i know it is getting stripped just now but same thing happened with our golf, noise, power loss, 103000k miles etc, turned out to be  the cam and followers. 1 follower had a big hole in it and cam was worn on one lobe which said to me it was a follower problem. anyway it was about ?600 pounds to put right excluding labour(me and my dad fixed it) easy enough job.runs better than ever now just needs one or two other things fixed now but that is a different story . hope you get yours fixed under the warranty and it gives you no more problems 

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know it is getting stripped just now but same thing happened with our golf, noise, power loss, 103000k miles etc, turned out to be the cam and followers. 1 follower had a big hole in it and cam was worn on one lobe which said to me it was a follower problem. anyway it was about ?600 pounds to put right excluding labour(me and my dad fixed it) easy enough job.runs better than ever now just needs one or two other things fixed now but that is a different story . hope you get yours fixed under the warranty and it gives you no more problems
Just spoke with NSN (company dealing between RAC and garage)

And they told me the CAM, Cam Followers and valves require replacement.

So the same fault as yours and around the same mileage......

·
Registered
990 Posts
Im thinking cam wear due to wrong oil being used......
My cam is worn and the engine has been filled with SLX II from day one. I know this beacause I put the oil in it myself. The oil isn't the problem., but bad design, not using a higher grade metal etc.

The ARL engine is notorious for wearing its cam, maybe VW should have made one specifically for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts