Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 1.4's been acting up. (1998 AHW 1.4e 16v)
Half the time when I try start the engine up from cold, it'll keep turning over and not start, unless I put my foot on the accelerator, then it'll start straight away. It was worse in the cold weather...but before it never used to do that, even when it was even colder outside.

Thats only half the problem though...the car wont accelerate properly when just started from cold either.
try accelerating through first gear/second, and it lags...then jumps and pulls the car (only way to kinda describe it is like turbo lag, tho I havent got a turbo hehe). Once the cars been on for 2/3 mins, everythings fine again.

Any idea what it could be? I dont want this to develop into a costly long term fix! I've heard things about 1.4 engines and the throttle body needing cleaning?

Any info would be great :p

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I also get the same problem with my 98' 1.4. It only happens sometimes, but there is no response to throttle in 1st gear when i start the car, but it will be absolutley fine after a couple of minutes. I would also appreciate any info on how to fix this...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I find irritating, is today my car didnt do it. Its kinda random when it happens which makes this even more difficult to work out :'(

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's definitely the coolant temp sensor. Cost ya about 20 notes from the dealers.

Mine was exactly the same. Would work perfectly for weeks then there'd be the odd day were no matter how hard ya tried to wouldn't start. Leave it for an hour or so and it would work again. Had the stuttery problem too. Do a search for a guide on how to change it. Dead easy really.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll go to the dealers on thurs an get one then, will let everyone know what happens!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I've looked and looked...and cant find where the heck the sensor goes! I've searched all over the place for diagrams (even on lupo forums, because some lupos are AHW engines like mine), and no luck :(

Anyone know where its supposed to be on a 1.4 engine?

·
Registered
639 Posts
mine sometimes does the same and i have a 1.6.

i get the 'turbo lag' more than the starting problem, i thought it maybe fuel pump related but i also think its the coolent sensor apart from the temp reading on the dash is meant to move about but mines rock solid on 90.

i came across rally chris site about fixing the rear wiper leak problem and i think that had a 'how to change the sensor' page.

anyone got the link?

found it:
http://www.golfmk4.co.uk/frequently_asked.htm#Engine_Running_Problems_

about 1/2 way down.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the help HuDSoN....mines in a diff position than that though!

I found it on mine now :)

Its in different locations from where it is on other engines, here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/gmchristofi/DSC00885.JPG.txt

http://www.geocities.com/gmchristofi/DSC00886.JPG.txt

And with it unplugged:
http://www.geocities.com/gmchristofi/DSC00887.JPG.txt

So yea, thats where it is on a 1.4 :)

Went to VW an got a green replacement, will be installing it tomorrow morning, when the engines stone cold!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up not having to go out this evening so I ended up doing it.
Undid the coolant lid to release pressure on the system, and took the old sensor out...and stuck the new one in quick as I could. Luckily my coolant is just above the min level now, will top it up later.

Car drives alot better now (Pulls faster + less prone to stalling), only problem is, that it doesnt seem to start up properly now, which is kind of annoying, will see if it gets better after a while! Got service coming up soon too, which should help.

·
Registered
990 Posts
dude! what happened!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Disconnecting the battery didnt change anything. Funnily enough since the day after the cars been nothing but perfect!

Car now starts up good all the time. I'll know better though when the cold weather comes back ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
ah.. so are you assuming it was the cold weather that was causing the problems?

my advice would be not to goto the people you did to service it in future :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it was the temp sender causing issues (Considering it was in my car for 8 years before being changed!). As I said the car is alot better to drive now, the "lag" problems not been there once since I put the sensor in, its less prone to stalling (Esp when doing manouvers, had to go ott with the gas before!), pulls faster, and my fuel economy has got LOADS better. I went 120 miles yesterday (Mainly motorway), only used one notch of the petrol guage! Had me shocked! <3 my 1.4 :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
ah, sweet :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts