Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, im not sure of the exact problem but last night i shut down the laptop before leaving to go out, as i shut down i noticed the "windows update" sign on the shutdown button. thats fine as i left it shutting down

switched it on this morning, and it did its lil thing with installing this and that. but after the "preparing your desktop", which was looping for quite some time may i add, the desktop screen came up and now looks like it did the first day i bought the laptop.

all my shortcuts, files and folders deleted bar 20ish images, three notepad files and the rest is gone.

i just logged in using chrome and mozilla and it looks like it had to re install and then load up the app/software

any one what could have gone wrong or whats happening?

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
I had the same update as you by the sounds of it but mine looks all ok and nothing is missing. Hopefully someone can help you.

Peter

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you tired rolling back your system to before the updates?

It seems very strange that an update would delete desktop items

Has it basically formatted the system?

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just managed to get it all back following Alex's advice on ed38

yup, i suspect your stuff is there on your PC, but something is corrupted as you login to your user account. and it doesnt let you in.
bound to be due to a faulty windows update.

Here is a way to get your desktop back:

Open an elevated command prompt (Open the Start Menu, Click on All Programs and Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator)

Right click the task bar and s elect task manager

Terminate the process explorer.exe

At a command prompt type

SET USERPROFILE=C:\USERS\MMM (replace MMM with your profile name - for instance mine is Alex)

Then type

EXPLORER.EXE

after you do all that, and get it back to where you were. do a system restore and s elect a restore point of yesterday or before when you installed this windows update. should solve it.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
No wonder IT whizzes are paid so much, looking at the above [:S]

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, hamidi,

The same thing happened to me. All shortcuts, files, folders deleted and it looked like my pc had gone back to factory settings.

I found a system restore point for 2-7-11 and that helped but it gave me the message that it couldn't restore - that there was an error. It DID give me back some of my folders and files but not all of my shortcuts. I haven't had time yet to investigate everything. Gave me a big scare!

Now I don't know if I will need to download all of MS patches again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts