Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Peeps..

My brothers 98 MK4 5 door GT TDI had quite a nasty hit n run dent, so we bought another door in the same colour and passed the door onto the bodyshop to match/paint etc and strip the old one and fit everything back to the new one....its a backstreet bodyshop renown for its good quality work hence we used him.

However after re-assembling the car back together again from the old to new door etc, there are a few electrical problems :

- none of the windows work from any of the switches
- central locking does'nt work from key fob
- no interior lights when any of the doors are open
- no interior/courtesy lights when key removed from ignition
- no electric mirrors

All the other electrics are fine in the car......the bodyshop dude is confused and swears everything is connected as it was before the bodywork.....

can anyone help or shed any light on this situation....

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
All of the conveniance functions (locking,windows,courtsey lights and door mirrors) are controlled via the CAN-BUS network which involves the module in each door and the CCM (Central Conveniance Module) all talking to each other in a strange digital language that only cars can understand.I hope your body shop guy disconnected the battery when he plugged the new door in,because if he didn't this fact COULD most likely be causing your problems.Disconnecting for a few minutes and then reconnecting the battery MIGHT cure it,if not you may need to plug VAG-COM in and give it a scan and see what errors it gives.
Also make sure the part number of the window and locking module in the old and new doors are the same,if they aren't it may not work at all without the matching CCM,or did you actually use all the old electrical parts again?Or it could even be as simple as the fuse for the CCM has blown.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris...

All the old components were used from the old door and switched over...

Where is the CCM located in the door and is the fuse visible on it....

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
You don't say though whether the fitter disconnected the battery when he was swapping the parts over?The CCM position is show below,but the fuse for it is in the fusebox at the right hand end of the dashboard,sorry I don't know which position.

Chris.

Posted Image

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The auto electrician is saying the unit could be faulty...

He's a bit of a cowboy to be honest...

Could I have a bit more help is that picture above a picture of the inside of the door, or is it under the dash....

I need to get this sorted so I can shut the window for starters !!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
That photo shows the underdash area,with the fusebox (written in red) to the right,and the steering column to the left,but have you tried what I've already suggested?
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes before reconnecting it and go from there.The only reason it may be faulty is because he made it like that.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris

the mechanic/electrcian said he's tried disconnecting/re-connecting the battery and still nothing...

he is insisting the unit is faulty and is searching for a replacement...all a bit suspicious to me..

Why is he going out of his way to find a replacement ??....is there anyway he could've caused the unit to go wrong etc....

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Just an observation here....

If the door was smacked, the lock / motor module may well be faulty caused the crash. Did everything still work after the hit and run but before you had the new door fitted ? My thoughts are that maybe a cable has been pinched causing a short somewhere in the door ?

Also, it may be worth having the central convenience system (46) read for fault codes. Has your electrician scanned for faults ? If not, is there anyone local (look in the vagcom sub-forum) who can do it for you ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
everything worked perfectly after the dent....for months

The MK4 system is very complicated for my liking !

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
everything worked perfectly after the dent....for months

The MK4 system is very complicated for my liking !
It's actually very complicated and yet very simple at the same time.There's only 8 wires going into the front doors,with ALL the information that needs to go to the rest of the car being carried on just the two CAN-BUS wires in digital form,and these allow the various door and CCM alarm functions to talk to each other via the CAN-BUS gateway which I believe is in the instrument cluster.
It should be impossible to connect anything wrong as all the plugs etc are polarised,and can't be plugged in round the wrong way.I think your guy has somehow managed to do this though,and the only way to test it without access to VAG-COM would be to plug another CCM in(must be the same part number),and then everything apart from remote locking should work again.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Confused as ever now !!!...

the car has had replacement CCM's and nothing has changed.
The central locking button is working and the doors lock with the key and the full closure works with the key but nothing else.

Various combinations have been tried with new window motors/CCMs etc....

[:(]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
So you've actually got some functions working now that weren't at the start? But you're still not getting remote locking,and the puddle and courtesy lights aren't working?
There are a lot of different part numbers for CCMs that all look the same,but are for cars with different options,so all the parts you swap MUST have the same part number as the old part.For remote locking to work you will need to plug VAG-COM in to program the keyfob to it.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No the central locking and full closure via the lock barrel was always working..

The electrician is stating he has used the exact same part ?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
This still points to a CCM problem,but I don't think you have said if the puddle lights at the bottom of the doors are working or not,as these are switched directly from the microswitches in the lock mechanisms,and don't involve the CCM?

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris

First of all I just want to say a huge thanks for all your help...I just hope I can get to the bottom of this....

To answer your question...we have no puddle lights/interior lights

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
No problem,makes the long winter nights go a bit quicker[O].

It could be a problem then with the lock mechanism in the drivers door as it's the master,the circuit board that has the microswitches on it is a bit fragile and could have gotten damaged when everything was swapped around,but that wouldn't stop the puddle light in the passengers door from working which is independant of the drivers door,but.................as they get their supply from the module that does the windows and locking in each door (they are switched earth),it could be a coincedance that both of the lock mechs are faulty.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is really frustrating....
I think the car is going to have to go to the main dealer to be looked at....

Sparky reckons somthing has shorted one of the circuits, requiring it to be re-programmed !

Anyone in Leicester able to help ??

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
That sounds like the words of a sparky who hasn't got a clue what he's doing,I'd offer to help if I wasn't so far away.

Chris.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As it's not a previous problem and is a problem created by the painter then he's using his sparky and i'm leaving them to it, as soon as take the car off their hands and deal with it myself it become my problem. I would rather he deal with it and put it right.

I want my car back the way it was.....

Wish you were nearer mate....you've been very very helpful !!

regards

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The problem with modern cars such as those based on the Mk.4 Golf platform is that most of the communication between the various modules in the car is in the digital domain,using CAN-BUS technology.Although the version of this used in the Mk.4s is fairly basic,it makes fault finding a real pain in the bum where you can't just use the traditional methods of a powerprobe or multi meter as we always used to up till quite recently.The equipment needed to test this sort of thing is still outside the reach of people like me,and in a lot of cases the only way I could fix something like this is by swapping each module in turn until it starts working again.I guess VAG-COM will take some of the guesswork out of this type of fault finding,but that doesn't cover all the non VAG cars that also populate the world.
The good thing about newer cars is that they carry a lot more information on the CAN-BUS network,meaning that when we install sat navs or similar,there is a lot less work to do_One CAN-BUS interface can give us ignition switched live,speed pulse,hand brake,engine RPM,reverse,sidelights,all functions which we would previously have to hard wire to seperately.Very nice when it's all working,but don't phone when it all goes tits up.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts