Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently delocked my car but when I put the new blancs in and tighened up the screw which holds them in I realised I have a problem.

The actual door handle no longer sits on the door properly, it is sitting too far out and although you can push it back to the correct place as soon as you let go it comes forwards about 3 or 4 mm.

Pls help!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv tried that and its just not having it, its driving me mad, even took the door skin out to have a look at how it all holds together and cant work out why it wont tighen up properly, the actual blank which goes where the barrel used to be is tighened in fine but i just cant get the door handle to tighten back to the door!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Have you adjusted the cable ? The lock cable holds the end of the actual handle that pulls out. If you take the cable out of the edge you need to push it back in so that the lock cable holds that end of the handle in.

Assuming that is your issue that is.

I would also always advise you to test that the handle opens the lock before closing the door.

Paul

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No i didnt take that out so its not that im afraid Paul....and also the handle is loose at the 'fixed' end, ie the front of the car....... its a 2000w reg if that helps....

Cheers for help so far guys

·
Registered
180 Posts
its a while since i did mine, but if its loose at that end then it sounds like its not located properly, i took my inner panel off the door too on the 1st side it took me bleedin ages then realised didnt have to and the 2nd side took about 5 mins.

·
Registered
180 Posts
like i said along time since i did mine, but i seem to remember having to put the end of the handle into the door at a very funny angle to 'locate' the end bit into where it sits, maybe its not located into where it needs to properly, i know it doesnt sound very technical but do u remember putting the handle into the door at almost a right angle to each other to start it off?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone else got any views on this as its ruining the look of my car atm....I know it might sound stupid but I know its there and everytime I open the door to get into the car........

What actually holds the door handle.....not the small blank at the end of it where the key used to go, the handle that you grab, into place? Is it held into place via the same screw or something completely seperate?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Where you from. Maybe someone local could help you.

Worth a try.

Another thing to try is slacken off the captive nut that holds the lock
barrel in.Then pull the handle out about 2mm.Re-tighten slowly and

you should feel the handle pull in slightly. If that makes any sense give it a try.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Guys, while on the subject what's the story with the metal disc thing when it comes to de-locking?  I didn't get one with my kit and my local dealer has no idea what it's for and where it goes let alone what it looks like.  Is it actually required?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had this problem when I painted my door handles on my old 1.6. Basically your door handle is not clipped in properly. I can't remember exactly but the handle will not be sitting correctly behind the black plastic in the hole where the door handle goes in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys.....so rye.....how did you re clip it into the plastic? Did you have to take the door apart and work at in from the inside or did you sort of fiddle with it till it clicked back into place?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Cheers guys.....so rye.....how did you re clip it into the plastic? Did you have to take the door apart and work at in from the inside or did you sort of fiddle with it till it clicked back into place?
It is quite hard to describe. But, you know the part of the handle which goes into the door and the cable clips to etc? Well, rather than just pushing this into the hole in the door, you have to try and get it to clip behind the black plastic clip in the door. You don't need to take anything apart. As I said, hard to describe, but I'm sure you'll figure it out when you are looking at it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
the little metal disk is there to cover the internal part of the lock so if the delock cap is prized off theres no easy break in with a flat blade screw driver, they should be glued into place, but if this is done obviously its a pain to put the locks back to std if u ever wanted to

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks mate but I'm not sure I'm with it. Are you saying you remove the lock barrel, stick the disk in place, and then fit the metal cap with the plastic cap on top? Is that it or am I being totally thick here?

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, take off the plastic cap and dummy lock (the metal bit in your pic) get the old lock and the flat bit that sticks out the end which looks like a flat blade screwdriver sticks into the lock mechanism, the metal disk covers the bit where the flate blade part locates into, i know im not explaining it very well but i hope it helps

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes it does thanks. Haven't actually done mine yet but I now understand where it goes. If only the dealer's parts department understood as well, I'd have it sorted [:D] "Metal disc, what metal disc? There's no metal disc as part of the de-locking kit!" - part of a conversation from last Saturday morning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts