Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current (stock) wiper arm seems to be 'stuck' on my car! After removing the nut i went to lift the arm off, but it wouldnt budge! It seems the two metals have bonded!? Ive pulled and wiggled it enough now, and decided i'd better stop before i break it! I also gave it a little spray with WD40, but this hasnt really done anything. Any suggestions on what i should do??

I recently had the common wiper jet problem where screenwash leakes into the boot, i fixed this eventually my own way (it was before i knew about this site), the washer jet moves with the wiper, (this isnt supposed to happen??) but it works fine and doesnt leak.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had this problem with my rear wiper (stuck on) after some WD40, I gave to a tap with the back of a spanner or something to try and loosing it up, eventually it came off. It did take a while though, and I almost gave up ...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, tried that, no joy, it is well and truely stuck!! I have soaked it as much as i can with WD40 and gave it some whacking with the spanner. I thought this was meant to be simple! lol. Anyone think of anything else i could try?

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Frisky, seems fairly common then! I've had the exact same thing, the whole unit seems to move when i pull it! I've left it overnight since soaking it in WD40, i'll go see if thats helped!

I may have to buy that remover! Thanks for your help mate!

·
Registered
984 Posts
No worries mate. Hope you have some luck removing your wiper. Let me know how you get on. Just out of curiosity, how much did u pay for your Mk5 wiper?

Oh welcome to the site btw.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I paid about ?18 off ebay, i probably could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but ebay is quick and simple!

Still not much luck, it's really stuck!! Im at work at the mo, keep having a quick go at every now and then, and spraying it with more WD40. I managed to (carefully) wedge it out a bit with a screwdriver, but i think this has actually pulled the main pipe that its corroded to out a bit (so not such a great thing!). It should help me get it off though as its created a small gap behind the arm, so mabe carefully with plyers i will get it off. Im just so weary of breaking it! lol.

The mkv wiper seems much better made, apart from looking a lot better, i think its gonna work a whole lot better too. I'll let you know how i get on later,

Thanks for the help so far,

David

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey mate! I've not had any luck either. Guy at Skoda dealer was so confident that he could get it off, but no luck. Might have to take my car to Autoglass to ask them nicely to have a go using their wiper removal tool.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn! It's crazy how 'stuck' this thing is! I wasnt expecting this at all. How did the skoda dealer guy attempt to remove it?

I used some plus gas (on the tin it says it can free up the 'most corroded metal parts!') on mine today, leaving it overnight, i'll check it tomorrow. Im not overly confident, but worth a go!

If you get any joy from autoglass let me know mate, i may have to take mine down that route. I wonder if they would charge? Might be as well to buy the tool you posted a link for?

·
Registered
553 Posts
sorry to add to your woes mate

but if youve pulled out the bit of metal thats its corroded to

theres a chance that the pipe my have broke away inside the

tail gate, ( also a common MKIV fault) theres loads of threads on this

if you are concerned. I hope im wrong but just in case keep an

eye on it

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers mate, i think im ok on this one, a while back i did some DIY repairing on the rear washer jet, the pipe that goes through the tailgate had broken right at the end. I managed to fix it using a very tight fit flexible tubing over the metal pipe and join (over the broken bit) to the plastic nib on the exterior (if that makes any sense [:cool:] ).

But thanks anyway

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DONE IT! [:D] Although it did cost me...i decided to but the wiper arm remover tool for 8quid or so. Works a treat though, straight off! I dont think im ever gonna have a use for that tool again though!

The mkv rear wiper works much better, much better contact with the glass. And it looks a hell of a lot better that the stock one! Id recommend using that tool (its the one from machine mart).

·
Registered
984 Posts
DONE IT! [:D] Although it did cost me...i decided to but the wiper arm remover tool for 8quid or so. Works a treat though, straight off! I dont think im ever gonna have a use for that tool again though!

The mkv rear wiper works much better, much better contact with the glass. And it looks a hell of a lot better that the stock one! Id recommend using that tool (its the one from machine mart).
Hey Elliott! Glad to hear you finally got your wiper off using that tool! Got any before and after pics? Was content to leave it with the standard one but I'm tempted to change my rear wiper now.

Frisky...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i'd recommend using that tool, works a treat! The only downside is spening money on it and you probably wont ever use it again! I will take some pics at the weekend and post them for you with some before pics too.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
just spotted this . i had same prob but ya seem to have sorted it ...

for those who are having probs there is a cheaper way ....a pair of

Grips , 5 holes ...or what ever you may call them , lossen nut off and put one part of the grips under the wiper section where the stud goes through and the other on the top of the nut and close together

works the same as the correct tool but saves ya a few quid .....that if ya have a pair of them in ya tool box

Wish i had spotted this sooner to tell ya this mate might of saved ya a few quid

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey mate. Great looking car! All the mods you've done really make the car look so much cleaner and smoother! Good job!!! Really liking what you've done. Great match on the colour coding [;)]

When you've put a before and after shot of the wiper, it suddenly makes you realise how absolutely pants the standard one looks! I need to change mine asap!!

Frisky...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Frisky, cheers mate!!! [:)] Glad you like it! It's funny how all the subtle differences add up to make a big one. Thank for you comments.

I thought exactly the same, makes the standard wiper look ridiculous!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts