Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you had an r32 and a 1.8t both travelling at 30 mph side by side....which would get to 100 quickest?

a remapped 1.8t with around 220bhp

or

an R32

i would have thought it would be the R32

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Say you had an r32 and a 1.8t both travelling at 30 mph side by side....which would get to 100 quickest?

or

an R32

i would have thought it would be the R32
The R[:D]

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think it would be very close in a 1/4 mile, and would really depend on the driver, but through the twisties I would say the R, but i would wouldnt I [;)]

But, i dont really see the point in the Q, as if you spent the same amount on the R that you do to get the 1.8 to 220bhp then the R will trash it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yer but pomme an R is a lot more money thou mate, if u bought ur average R, and the your avearge 1.8t the money u saved on the 1.8t would be ?1000s

So pound for horse power the 1.8t wins hands down so all i can say is [:p] hehee

But yer round twisty roads the R wins every time

The 4wd drive does sapp Bhp how eva said that BUT it gives so much more grip round the corners and in the wet than the 1.8t fwd system it more than makes ur for it and the r driver would be sayin goodbye!!!!!!! To be honestin britain where is a long stright DRY road as welll [:'(]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Don't forget to bring mileage into the equation. My R had 37,000 miles on the clock now absolutely flys. VWs significantly improve with mileage

1.8T vs R32, I dunno. When Evo did a hot hatch shoot-out the Leon Cupra R 225 was faster than the R32 but there was hardly anything in it - it was down to milliseconds. It would deffo be down to how brutal the drivers wanted to be with their gearchanges.

Had 2 traffic light GPs against a TT 3.2 V6 a couple of nights ago. First go was close, but the points went me in the R32 without dumping the clutch. At the next set of lights I lost, as the driver of the TT used the launch control - awesome, perfect getaway. If only I had an R32 DSG....

·
Registered
961 Posts
lol. it feels like we are stuck in a time warp. you guys, we'l have to
see what they do agaianst each other at santa pod. if u want a 1.8T
that will beat an R and save you 8 grand then buy an S3 and chip it! i
know one for sale if anyone is interested.

S3

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 265
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1400
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 192.32
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.18
0 - 100 (Secs) : 14.04
60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.86
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.92
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 99.56
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.52
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.70

R32

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 240
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1500
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 162.57
0 - 60 (Secs) : 6.06
0 - 100 (Secs) : 16.99
60 - 100 (Secs) : 10.93
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.82
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 93.38
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.42
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 96.21

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Didn;t 2 guys on here go head to head at inters last year on the strip? If I recall teh R got off the line quicker (as expected) but the Gti caught him and I think they crossed the line at about the same time.

But I would say if it was wet the R would have it, in the Dry the chipped turbo would be quicker but not a lot in it.

J.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a strait line race with a Leon Cupra R with aledged 270 bhp, in my R32 engined Bora (AMD told me it had 267 bhp), with a rolling start their was nothing in it.

Also tried keeping up with some guys in Revo'd TDI's on the way to Knockhill a few months ago, over-taking cars, going from 45 ish to 100 ish thier was nothing in it either (except fuel consumption - 18 v 40).

I assumed they were 1.8T's becuase their was no smoke from them at all.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Band a big EIP turbo conversion on to a v6, and there would be no match.... at the end of the day nothing beats capacity for raw power. pound for pound tho, and the s3 is the best example of it, the 1.8T lump is out of the box capable of more for less. I would still have the R tho!!![:D]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Where does the 4 motion sit in this debate ?

How about a chipped 4 motion pushing 225bhp / 220ish torque ???

Any body on here had a traffic light battle with a chipped 4 motion?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Valve 24 yet again it has 4wd slowing sapping the power, more grip i no but still... i think the 1.8t would be quicker in a dry stright line, not being baised or anything [:|]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
4Mo's are very very underestimated cars IMO, when I had my Revo'd GTI I didn't even know or hear about the 4mo's just the Dirty Two!

I now have a 4 mo, I picked mine up for ?10,200 and I love it, its got everything bar Leather seats and satnav, (have tomtom anyway)

Back to the question: Mine isn't chipped (yet[:p]) but I have had a tussle with a revo'd GTi! I won BUT I don't think he was a good driver at all! poor use of gear changing !

225- 235 ish bhp'd 4mo I don't know, but then there is the weight! slightly less then the dirrty two but weight nevertheless!

Don't underestimate it though if you see one!! they are not as crap as you think!![;)]

Now a s/c or turbo'd 4mo......[:p] but then that goes into the "money/value/per-performance" argument!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
4Mo's are very very underestimated cars IMO, when I had my Revo'd GTI I didn't even know or hear about the 4mo's just the Dirty Two!

I now have a 4 mo, I picked mine up for ?10,200 and I love it, its got everything bar Leather seats and satnav, (have tomtom anyway)

Back to the question: Mine isn't chipped (yet[:p]) but I have had a tussle with a revo'd GTi! I won BUT I don't think he was a good driver at all! poor use of gear changing !

225- 235 ish bhp'd 4mo I don't know, but then there is the weight! slightly less then the dirrty two but weight nevertheless!

Don't underestimate it though if you see one!! they are not as crap as you think!![;)]

Now a s/c or turbo'd 4mo......[:p] but then that goes into the "money/value/per-performance" argument!
sill think the bog standard 4mo is your best buy these days for value out of the box[:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

or

an R32
From a rolling start at 30mph in a straight line then a 1.8T everytime rain or shine.
Thats a standard R, if the R was chipped then there would be nothing in it.

I have done this over and over with Tabs in his standard R then when his R was chipped.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts