Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just having a browse through the DVLA. Cant believe I missed out on this one

R32 ACE ?750 Sold in Mar 2004

Havnt got one yet (wishful thinking) but it wouldnt hurt to have it just incase.

Anybody else got any relevant plates? My old man has 4 ACE - Wont ever drop to me though as it would cause a war between me and my brother.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i am about to buy? ? ?X33 LEX for ?250
?but i was going to get? ?X31 lex for ?350 but it sold
its amazing lex in mirror image
and my mum is having mine with is ML53 cos her name is marsya lennox and she is 53
lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I recon private plates are tacky, [+o(] with the only benefit being that when you are out and about it gives you something to laugh at i.e what sort of idiot drives what car.. I will never understand why people want to go around with their name on their number plate? or spelling out the type of car etc

The only time that I can see it is of any use is when business's have private plates for their vehicles as it can fit in with brand identity etc..

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Although I agree some can be tacky, the one I saw yesterday sounded bloody cool to me:
Black Mercedes SLR, MY06SLR
Generally NOT a fan of 'private' plates in the new format, as they are just normal ones being sold at a profit. And I HATE mispaced / poor plates that have to be explained, like the Audi I was following which was R18HTW spelt out using spacing and screws as R1GHT W; underneath it said Thats Wright, with a W! Bloody awful...
But many people have them for varying reasons...I have one that was a 21st from my parents and goes on every car I ever have - no mispacing, no rubbish. A friend of mine has her Dads on her Ford Ka because he was killed in a plane crash, its sort of a tribute to him.?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've got one and have had it since I was 21 and it has been on every car I have owned since.

I bought Claire one as well.

No fancy spacing required in either as mine is just my initials A16 JWW and Claires is L8 CLR because she is always late - the only bit of Text Speak I don't mind [:)]

J.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My Wife bought me Y4 and then my initials for a wedding anniversary... married in Year 2004. Makes my car look older than it is but I like it.

Also when I get my brand new mk6 GTI when they come out in 2008 (i wish) it will make the car ageless.

I like private plates, I cant see why anyone would have a problem with them. If you have a spare grand or so why not personalise your car. Thats what everyone on this forum does when they mod their cars, wheels, suspension, trim ect!

The only thing I don?t like are plates with really daft text... they look stupid.

·
Registered
674 Posts
A mate and me where going to buy two sets of plates for our cars, which are sometimes parked together.

Both were on the DVLA for ?250 at the time.

I was having K66 UNT and he was going to get K99 UNT.

A right pair.

In the end, the other halfs both blocked us getting them (you know who wears the trousers in our houses now). A guy that worked with my mate brought K66 UNT in the end and I hear he has just sold it for ?5k.

Just after he brought it, the DVLA realised and pulled the whole lot! Shame really, I thought they were funny!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with the argument that the plates that are so far out, need spacing and screws to make them look like a word are pointless but I am not on about them. My family name is Ace and if I were to own an R32 then fuck me why not!

Would you de-badge an R32 so it didnt have the name on it? I dont quite get where you are coming from there BigI.

And as for why people would want them then its obviously down to personal preference. My Dad likes his plate and so do alot of other people. And lets be honest there must be a market for them as it is valued at ?75 - ?100 k

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree with that... in fact if you were to get some inside info as to how the next great enthusiasts motor was to be named you could get a massive returd after buying a job lot of plates. For instance, if you'd have bought BOX 73R before the boxter came out I bet you could make enough wonga to buy one!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My mum wanted to buy me (car make----->VW05 MJB <---initials) for my 21st, but at the time i had more important bills to pay. But maybe in the new year i will buy it myself. It will tie to VW's for a while though[^o)]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got a private plate on mine that is B## EFC which my dad let me have when he was selling his car instead of putting it on his new 1. The end is short for Everton Football Club who I have a season ticket for & I like the fact that it's an old 1, it's probably older than me which I think's great. I know a lot of people will hate it (especially Kopites) but no matter what you do to your car there'll be someone who doesn't like it so I don't lose any sleep over it.

My family name is Ace and if I were to own an R32 then fuck me why not!
I can't let this pass without saying anything, you have quite possibly got the best surname I've ever heard in my life, I liked the plate in the 1st place, now I love it, I'd buy it at the 1st opportunity if I was you

·
Registered
442 Posts
No bad thing being tied to VW's Markus.UK.Bora, Ive tried Jap and French but you'd have to have something prety special to beat German. Especially VW...Keep the faith!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Oh, I'm not losing faith, i just have dreams about M3's and RS4 (along with Eos's and R32's) on a regular basis. I also found "MA02 KUS" which spell my first name Markus, but it would need some explaining so maybe it's best left alone.

P.S - How many of you visited the dvla website after reading this thread[:D]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I agree with the argument that the plates that are so far out, need spacing and screws to make them look like a word are pointless but I am not on about them. My family name is Ace and if I were to own an R32 then fuck me why not!

Would you de-badge an R32 so it didnt have the name on it? I dont quite get where you are coming from there BigI.

And as for why people would want them then its obviously down to personal preference. My Dad likes his plate and so do alot of other people. And lets be honest there must be a market for them as it is valued at ?75 - ?100 k
I have no doubt about the value of some number plates and if I had a plate worth ?75k - ?100k I would sell it without a doubt. Clearly you would have to be mental to spend that much money on a number plate [:|]

I don't quite understand your point about the R32; the point that I was making was most people know that it is an R32 therefore it seems silly to put a number plate on the car that says R32, etc or VW something. I dont see adding a personalised number plate to a car as being a modification. You would not say to some one " oh I have modified my car, with a private number plate"

I think that private plates are very self-indulgent I do not see the appeal of being able to point at a car and go look thats my one because its got my name on it, like I said though it provides me with a bit of comedy now and again... and other than the value of the number plate what is the difference to one that spells a word as it stands and one that has to be spaced and have screws in certain places etc.. they are both doing the same thing!

and clearly it is down to personal preference which not something that I am questioning i'm all for people being different, I just do not see the appeal of letting everybody know your name is Dave, etc I guess I prefer anonymity....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have J6 CKU which i have spaced as J6CK U

dont know if you class that as looking crap but i always get complimented on it and have had offers of ?10k on it. Considering i paid ?250 for it i am pleased... Opinions?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
all the VWxx EOS have all been taken, guess which cars they are bound for for!

As for the anonimity, BigI, a blue bora, lowered on A8 monoblocks is hardly anonymous, lol[:p], i'm sure people who don't know you but see your car regularly have made a pet name for you.

The plates that Vw have on the cars in the press shots are nice

·
Registered
442 Posts
Self indulgents... ie buying something that you didnt neceseraly need... is the spice of life! (such as lowered suspension, big rims or blacked out glass)

Many would say (ie the DVLA or most people who drive cars) that your Reg number was your cars identity, therefore by personalizing this you are modifying your cars identity to your own taste, style... a perfectly acceptable mod in my book.

My personal reg means something to me... and it was a gift (that I may have chosen myself if it wasnt bought for me) therefore it has enhanced my cars identity to suit myself.

Thousands of private reg's are sold every week, I wouldnt like to guess how many per year but Tens / Hundreds of thousands of people cant be wrong!

You tellin me thet B19 I VW wouldnt look good on your car?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
my whole family are suckers for buying private plates. Our sirname is kitson, my dad has K17TSN, my bro has K10TSY, and i have M12KE K. I recently bought the missus W500 BEX. Love private plates that spell somthing, but not in a space it up in a mad way style with bolts and fecked up fonts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Has anyone seen those German style pressed steel plates you can buy that make you car look foreign? A guy down the road from me has them on a Polo GT, they way its set up it looks like an authentic autobarn cruiser...

·
Registered
359 Posts
i bought E5STA and my name is Esther - i paid ?600 all in and i love it - but private plates arent to everyones tastes - there are some good ones about

I did want E5TER but it went for ?7500 - i dont think i did too badly

i could have spent it on other things but its my number plate and i will have it for life - I wouldnt sell it unless i got really strapped for cash - i had an offer of ?2500 from a number plate company to purchase it off me - its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it though

1 - 20 of 98 Posts