Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need these doin asap! rear pads need replacing!

1.price @ the stealers

2.price @ other garages!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do it yourself its easy just get the right tools!!

wind back tool ?12 (gsf)

allen keys (get the ones that are built in to sockets makes life easy)

jack and stands

it will take you half hour to an hour.

It will cost you more first time for tools but in the long run will save you lots more.

I am a butcher and i did my pads and disc's all round so its not that hard to do!!!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I work at a dealers, & we charge just shy of ?65 fitted
thats not too bad actually, for a person who doesnt want to get their hands dirty [y]

I did mine myself. Was the first time and its soooooooooooooo easy !!

·
Registered
927 Posts
yep, i did mine last month and if like me, your ex motor trade, you can get by without windback tools ect[H]

however, oddly getting mk4 rear pads seems tobe tricky from some motor factors.

May have to be dealers or GSF/ECP ect. should be about ?15 from stealers!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I need to replace the rears too!

Dealer quoted me ?110 to do, that was 10K ago and now they need changing soon!

Can someone post a step by step guide to change them as my DIY stills are poor!

Or will it be cheaper / safer to take it to a garge and how much would they normally charge?

Cheers

·
Registered
824 Posts
You all say it's easy to do,I managed the front discs and pads no troubles at all. Attempted the rears, even with the wind back tool I can't get the piston to retract at all. I've twisted it round and round and it won't push back,what am I doing wrong? Please help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi i had to use a large clamp to wind them back (twisting and pushing at the same time) this was however the first time i had done them and turning them did nothing, I think the special tool is really best but am deffinitley no expert. my pads were however non existant and the piston seemed out a long way

·
Registered
927 Posts
You all say it's easy to do,I managed the front discs and pads no troubles at all. Attempted the rears, even with the wind back tool I can't get the piston to retract at all. I've twisted it round and round and it won't push back,what am I doing wrong? Please help!
mate, the knack is applying inward pressure on the piston while turning it. Its not the easyiest, but it is do-able just!

in the very worst case secenerio, you may want to loosen the bleed nipple while you wind back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some great info there!!

does anybody wanna come round to mine to do them! LOL ill pay ya!!

also a step by step guide would be helpful!!

many thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts