Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Price Difference between GT TDI 130 & 150? Help needed

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  matt747 
#1 ·
Hi

I am new to this forum and desperately want to buy either a GT TDI 130 or 150, however I notice there is a big difference in price between the two. I have found one of each locally but due to my price limit of around ?10,000 there is an age difference of 1 1/2 years between the 150 and 130.

The 130: -

Sept 2003 - '53' reg

metallic oceanic green / blue

42,000 miles

Full black leather interior inc heated seats.

Price ?9995

The 150: -

Aug 2002 - '02' reg

Desert beige

50,000 miles

Full standard 150 spec inc leather seats.

Price ?9995

I am torn between the two as I want a 150 but the price difference is that much that by buying a 150 it is a year older than the 130.

I would welcome your opinions, thanks

Adrian

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the f orum Adrian

I would not worry about age and the small mileage difference between the cars. Buy the one that you like more and check for dents, scratches and other problems between the two.

Test drive them, check to see if the clutch slips.

What colour would you prefer?

#3 ·
I cant decide, because on the one hand I want a 150bhp as people on here seem to think this is the more responsive and most petrol like driving experience. I do think that the newer car may be better but I really can't decide.

What do you think of the prices? Are these about right for both the cars as both are the same price but the 130 is one year newer??

Thanks

#7 ·
Hi,
Had a choice of a 130 or 150 a couple of months ago.
Bought the 130 because:
1 it was about ?1000 cheaper!
2 The ride was too hard for the missus ---sad (harder ride than the 130 with 16" alloys)
3 Read somewhere about the 130 giving more progressive power delivery than the 150 (turbo size?)

Worth checking either car for front suspension knocking (ARB bushes), if the acceleration is smooth from 1800 rpm (MAF sensor), and if the clutch will stay full disengaged in with clutch fully depressed (clutch assembly knackered).
Had all these problems to sort out after buying my car.

Happy man now, indigo blue metallic 130! (Wish I had the 16" wheels though)

#8 ·
Hi

I am new to this forum and desperately want to buy either a GT TDI 130 or 150, however I notice there is a big difference in price between the two. I have found one of each locally but due to my price limit of around ?10,000 there is an age difference of 1 1/2 years between the 150 and 130.

The 130: -

Sept 2003 - '53' reg

metallic oceanic green / blue

42,000 miles

Full black leather interior inc heated seats.

Price ?9995

The 150: -

Aug 2002 - '02' reg

Desert beige

50,000 miles

Full standard 150 spec inc leather seats.

Price ?9995

I am torn between the two as I want a 150 but the price difference is that much that by buying a 150 it is a year older than the 130.

I would welcome your opinions, thanks

Adrian
That 150 sounds expensive to me; it may have leather but the colour is not great. I sold my Jan 2003/52 reg 150TDI (done 50K miles)for ?9200 in January. It had fvsh, recent cambelt change and was Diamond black; one of the best colours. Similar age 130 and 150TDIs shouldn't differ by more than ?700.

#9 ·
I would test drive both. The 130 does have less lag but it looses out at the top end.

I think the 130 is a great car if you want a nippy diesel. The 150 is the car to have if your going to enjoy extending its performance - 'cos thats where the engine has the advantage. Day to day driving u have to live with more lag than the 130 but u get used to it.

Tht suspension is better in the 150 but its still poor by other cars - fine for motorway cruising. Try riding in a CTR or a Astra SRI for a reminder of handelling difference.

#11 ·
Are the prices private (is so a tadd to high IMHO) or dealer?

I bought a 130 because of the price difference and because the 150 is more difficult to find (a 130 in these parts was difficult enough) also as I'm getting old now (39 [;)]) I prefer the smoother ride than stiffened suspension - been there before and done that - you get really fed up with it after a while.

If you want the newer car - get the 130 and get it chipped/remapped, but in the end drive both and see what you think - as said above the colour of the 150 is not ideal, but you may love it.

#13 ·
What type of journeys is the car going to be making i.e the motorway or
town driving, as said above somewhere the 130bhp has a less laggy turbo
making it more ideal for everyday use, but if your crunching up the
motorway miles at a pace then i'd go for the 150bhp version as it has
more redline sprint potential at top end and even more with a remap.

Sat

#14 ·
150 brake model all the way i'd say mate. Bought mine 2 weeks ago, and the performance and fuel consumption combined, have been amazing!

Travelled up the Lakes this last weekend, not hangin about on the M6 and it still returned over 48mpg. Had one of the best drives i've done up there - from Ullswater to Windermere on a very tight demanding road, and i couldn't really knock the handling one bit, so i'd say the GTI springs are one good reason to go for this model if you want something that you can throw about a bit.

It might have slightly more lag than the 130, but once the turbos whistling and you're on boost you'll be grinning and happy that you went with the more driver orientated model.

#15 ·
Had one of the best drives i've done up there - from Ullswater to
Windermere on a very tight demanding road, and i couldn't really knock
the handling one bit, so i'd say the GTI springs are one good reason to
go for this model if you want something that you can throw about a bit.
Not trying to kill your spirit but the golfs handling in standard form
is no good, not bad but just not good as equivalent cars, thats why
most people end up changing their shocks and springs to get a less
rolly ride from the mk4.

Sat

#17 ·
Both prices are dealers, not private. I am probably not going to modify it at all to start with. Have you seen many beige ones before?
Seen a couple in that shade (not necessarily 150s) when looking for mine, personally I don't care for it, to me its an old mans colour as in a retired gent! chances are it will be more difficult to sell on again. But you have to be happy with the colour of your car so if you think its fab then thats fine - it would be a dull world if we all had the same likes/dislikes.

I like that green/blue shade of the 130 you saw, in fact before I bought my TDi I did see a 1.8T in that shade and it was very nice.

#18 ·
Not trying to kill your spirit but the golfs handling in standard form
is no good, not bad but just not good as equivalent cars, thats why
most people end up changing their shocks and springs to get a less
rolly ride from the mk4.

Sat
No i wouldn't say it was the most committed car on the road, it coped with intricate twists - and is by no means a track car - i kept up with a cooper though, and if you don't want a rock hard ride all the time, IMO it'll do.

#19 ·
The decision for me would be the type of driving done as mentioned in previous posts; I ran a 150TDI for a year and was left with a mixed opinion. If you want a quick car with good economy and most driving is on fast country roads or m-way; I would go for a 150. But if you drive alot in town(which I do) ie. alot of stop-starts then I would go for a 130. I made the mistake of not driving a 130 before buying mine and in hindsight would possibly have bought one instead. I drove a mate's 70K company 130TDI @3 months after buying my 150; and the difference in overall performance was negligible. My 150 had a slightly better top end but his 130 felt quicker away from the mark; had much less turbo lag and a smoother power delivery...fuel economy also 3-4mpg better than my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.