Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if this is a route worth going down? I know I will get X ammount of interest per month in a savings account, but obviously with premium bonds you could win big, or not win anything at all, and I'm in the mood for winning at the moment!

So, anyone got any, if so, how have you done? Made more than you would in intrest? Or pretty badly?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If you do have any I've been told to cash them in and buy new ones as they stand a higher chance of winning, theyre also make 5 millionaires thas year

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do have any I've been told to cash them in and buy new ones as they stand a higher chance of winning, theyre also make 5 millionaires thas year
I've seen this on forums, where people are buying them and they win a few times that year...then after that, they go stale. So they sell and buy again and they win again. Also, they say it's best to buy in blocks? I understand the theory. I.e. differing numbers. Spose I'd just have to suck it and see and hope for 50 quid to pop through the door. Trouble is, you can't win for 2 months! So you have to buy and then wait 2-3 months for the first draw.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I've seen this on forums, where people are buying them and they win a few times that year...then after that, they go stale. So they sell and buy again and they win again. Also, they say it's best to buy in blocks? I understand the theory. I.e. differing numbers. Spose I'd just have to suck it and see and hope for 50 quid to pop through the door. Trouble is, you can't win for 2 months! So you have to buy and then wait 2-3 months for the first draw.
I have the full allocation. So far I average about £75 a month in winnings, which is better than an high interest account. If you are a higher rate tax payer then it makes sense to go for it, if you are a basic rate then it is more of a gamble.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a small amount but nothing won yet, got a mate who is inthe 4 figure range and has won loads of times, highest was like £750 I think!

I'd rather save there, you only gain from interest in a bank with large amounts over time, with premium bonds you could win big, plus it's better than the lottery as you'll get your money back.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I have the full allocation. So far I average about £75 a month in winnings, which is better than an high interest account. If you are a higher rate tax payer then it makes sense to go for it, if you are a basic rate then it is more of a gamble.
Ditto what Simon says. I have the full allocation and i'd say I probably average about that. I hear what your saying about buying new ones as they tend to win, have checked the ceefax page a few times and a month or two ago, someone won a million and only bought them in july or summat, but also you see people winning huge sums having £5 worth or some equllay small amount and the number is a really really old bond so I do think it is genuinely luck of the draw.

Obv., you are not guaranteed any return, but you could also get a huge return. I just like gettin that £50-£150 per month through the post even though my financial advisor said "Don't do it for ever daniel as you can get higher returns on the stock market" - but i'm happy with it for the forseeable.

Graham - Yes you have to wait two months for your newly bought bonds to be entered into the draw.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've seen this on forums, where people are buying them and they win a few times that year...then after that, they go stale. So they sell and buy again and they win again. Also, they say it's best to buy in blocks?
I'd be really worried about the reliability of ERNIE in that case. Thought it was supposed to be random... [:S]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I've seen this on forums, where people are buying them and they win a few times that year...then after that, they go stale. So they sell and buy again and they win again. Also, they say it's best to buy in blocks?
I'd be really worried about the reliability of ERNIE in that case. Thought it was supposed to be random... [:S]
That has worried me slightly, but i'd say maybe 25-28k of my allocation was bought in sept 04 and as such has recent bond numbers, but i've not won anything big.. yet (I hope !)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
ERNIE is supposed to be random, but ask any financial advisor who will tell you that the bonds seem to go stale after a while.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
ERNIE is supposed to be random, but ask any financial advisor who will tell you that the bonds seem to go stale after a while.
Hmm.. maybe I should sell all mine then and re-buy them again.. [:S]

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the full amount, and get the odd 50 win here and there, my brother on the other hand always seems to be winning. Last month he won 5K, I'm holding out for the full mil though ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
i got mine when i was born ( 30 odd years ago ; well my late grandad did anyway )

My gran has not long since sent me them and bless her she said i could have won and should do some checking ( good one gran )

That said as far as i know ive one nothing

Who knows if i can find out how to check on them maybe i have !!!??????

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've been building up my allocation over the last few years and probably only won about 3 times (50 sheets each time).

I've read somewhere that if you have the maximum amount, you get an average of 10 wins per annum - my old dears got that, and i wouldn't say she's far off the average.

As far as i'm aware, your newly bought bonds only have to sit for one calendar month before they are eligible to be drawn.

Good luck guys! [Y]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I have the full amount, and get the odd 50 win here and there, my brother on the other hand always seems to be winning. Last month he won 5K, I'm holding out for the full mil though ;)
Hmm that's quite unlucky.. I get (normally) £50 every month.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I've read somewhere that if you have the maximum amount, you get an average of 10 wins per annum - my old dears got that, and i wouldn't say she's far off the average.

As far as i'm aware, your newly bought bonds only have to sit for one calendar month before they are eligible to be drawn.
I thought it was two months. Maybe it's changed though.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The advert with Alan Sugar was on the box last night, and he says that if you buy before the end of October, you'll be entered into the December draw (where there's going to to be 5 x £1m prizes as well as January i think)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts