Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, if you hadn't noticed. ITV programmes on Saturday 10:30am for the qualifying and same time Sunday for the race.

I'll kick off with my predictions for the first 3:

1. Alonso - On a roll from last year, with a very good new car.

2. Button - A lot to proove, and another car with promise.

3. Schumacher M. - Ferrari getting back some of their form.

Watch out for the new qualifying format, plus tyre changes are back.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
really looking forward to this! All this changes have put the cat among the pigeons big time, plus tyre changes back! I would love Kimi to win, but i think the mercedes will blow up as usual! My vote goes to Alonso for an early win! couting out schu, think they arent up to it yet! Button 2nd, fisci third! Maybe.... wait til sunday!!
Still, least its at a good time of day now for the first race! [H]

·
Registered
438 Posts
I personally want a McLaren to win, but I think it will finish

1. Alonso

2. Barichello (I have a sneaky feeling he is going to be v. quick in the Honda)

3. Schumacher (michael not ralf obviously! - never count ferrari out,
they're not the kind of team to have a bad season followed by another)

But I think williams should be up there as well, hopefully webber will
develop the killer instinct, and I think theyre going to be the suprise
package of the season.

Peter

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think it will be a tough race to kick the season off with ..The high temperature's and the epic straights pushing the engines to limit should make an interesting engine set-up ( rev limit wise and gearing choice ) and personally I cant wait to see the performance gap (or lack of ) between the V10's and V8's . should be a great season and as chris says ........ Can't wait..

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Anyway My predictions are :-<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

1-M. Schumacher<o:p></o:p>

2- K. Raikkonen<o:p></o:p>

3- J. Button<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>Bike_boy</o:p>

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think it will be a tough race to kick the season off with ..The high temperature's and the epic straights pushing the engines to limit should make an interesting engine set-up ( rev limit wise and gearing choice ) and personally I cant wait to see the performance gap (or lack of ) between the V10's and V8's . should be a great season and as chris says ........ Can't wait..

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Anyway My predictions are :-<o:p></o:p>

1-M. Schumacher<o:p></o:p>

2- K. Raikkonen<o:p></o:p>

3- J. Button<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>Bike_boy</o:p>
Well that looks like my 2nd place is out of the window....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Damn rear suspension failure! How unlucky have you got to be! I wouldnt
count him out to get some serious points, probably not a podium though.

Peter

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll give you a prediction

Less Horsepower, more grip from stickier tyres , return of in race tyre changes.

You mark my words overtaking in F1 will be a thing of the past. I hope making places up at Pit stops "floats your boat".

At least at Jerez in 2 weeks time for some real qualifying and racing !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
He must be absolutly gutted after all the work the team have put in over the winter and then not to even turn a wheel in anger ( not quite that bad ), I also think that Honda are pushing it abit only having one new set of tyres and the rest being scrubbed. i kind of like the new format for the qualifying it seem to have given it the spice that it so badly needed I hope it can restore the faith in the sport . cant wait for tommorow

All in all a step in the right direction

Bike_boy

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
to rite, feel properly gutted for Kimi! What is it with Mclaren and unreliability?? Still, hopefully see he charging through the field!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'll give you a prediction Less Horsepower, more grip from stickier tyres , return of in race tyre changes. You mark my words overtaking in F1 will be a thing of the past. I hope making places up at Pit stops "floats your boat". At least at Jerez in 2 weeks time for some real qualifying and racing !
I presume you are refering to the Moto G.P season, I to love to watch this but to compare the two sports is very hard the aerodynamics are/ have been cut to provide the following car with less turbulent air so they can follow closer into and through the braking zone so there will be more chance to over take.

F1 racing with the pit stops including tyre changes will make it more ineresting from a stratigic point of view as they can now afford to push a set of tyres harder for longer without having to worry about the whole race distance making for racers. that are more willing to push harder.

I seem to remember Rossi winning a "few" races in the last couple of seasons, But i still love Moto G.P

Bike_boy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It looks like most people got a couple of there results correct .. Is this "Luck" or a big dose of "Skill ".

I think my s election was pure "Skill "[H]

Bike_boy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bike_Boy I think people confuse domination with lack of spectacle.

Indeed Valentino Rossi and M$ have been dominant in both forms of racing in this decade but in a few season such as 2003 M$ (rise of KR and FA) and 2004 Rossi (first Yamaha year) they were both up against it and their ultimate class shone.

If a car driver combination proves unbeatable through skill and hard work I salute them even if it is not that great to watch.

What I wont accept however is the race I saw in Australia 2004 ($$$$$$$$$ to go there), with even 20-30 second gaps between the top 8 and drivers not risking anything to gain position and waiting and hoping to get past at the pit stops.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
F1 on a whole has been a the decline over the years for the very reason that you make and the FIA and Max Mosley have set out a raft of new rules to provide the public with " racing " that they will want to watch and enjoy . and from what i have seen today this seems to be working . I connot agree with you more about the opening round of the 2004 season but this is what the FIA are trying to change . Their problem is with the teams and their engineering departments ,as soon as they change the rules to reduce the cars performance the engineers make up in other areas and the fact that all the teams go about this in a similar fashion ( even if they look different ) and the performance is on an even keel so the cars performance will always be similar,so as long as there is the same level of downforce/creation of turbulent airflow as there is today F1 will never have the overtaking that people tend to remember or want this is why the new proposed rules reduce the downforce greatly, I think that the electronic aids play a huge part in the boring racing as any poor drive out of the corners due to oversteer or wheelspin are removed and the driver only has to plant their foot on the bulk head. This might be controversial but i think if Valentino was to make a switch to F1 when the new rule proposals take effect it would make a fantastic viewing as he has already proved what he is capable of in a f1 car and it make his intergration into the f1 poddock all the more remarkable.

Bike_boy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry Bike_boy I disagree with the bulk of what you are saying. Dirty Air and traction control have very little to do with lack of close racing in F1. Its a smokescreen that is peddled by the FIA in disputes with the maunfactureres

When traction control was banned 1994 and then unbanned in 2001 very little changed. F1 traction control is not like the ESP on your Golf or any other road car. It allows you to apply power for slightly longer on the lap thats all. It is still perfectly possible to lock the rear wheels even with a semi auto box and traction contol.

What IS a major factor is lack of braking distance caused by

1. Ratio of horsepower to grip , this in turn is further subdivided into mechanical and aerodynamic.

2. Modern braking systems and their use of light weight composities

3. weight and resultant momentum, major factor in this is fuel loads (hence my point about multiple pit stops)

Finally Max Mosley is a card carrying idiot like his Dad !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

• I do understand and feel that traction control (not ESP ) does offer a competitive advantage no matter how small it might be since races are occasionally won by 0.10 of a second . I was referring to lateral grip rarther than longditudional grip involved in straight line acceleration as you can blatantly hear the T/C retarding the ignition in a lot of the corners on any circuit .Any loss of traction is in-efficient use energy. If any package has an advantage it could contribute to them winning. when T/C was re-introduced into formula 1 everyone had it so ?. Even keel<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>? Locking of the rear wheels is a case of poor brake -bias rather than the use of ABS as it is banned in F1 (I assume that you refer to braking as you mentioned locking rear wheels even with semi-automatic gearboxes, sorry if misinterpreted). <o:p></o:p>

? Aerodynamic forces more or less increase with the square of speed (if you go twice as fast, the forces are four times as high), but the level of mechanical grip is more or less constant with speed. So in low speed corners mechanical grip dominates, but in high speed corners then aerodynamics are more important, but both are present in both cases so if you reduce the aero effect of the car you will increase the distance/time required stop the car in the braking zone at the higher speed becomes larger ,the exit speeds will be slower and the lap times will increase (not sure where horse power comes into braking).<o:p></o:p>

? I would think that living in an evolving world with engineers and scientists pushing the boundaries of technology every day (am I right in saying you are not typing this on a commodore 64) that the braking systems would use the best material and systems possible as this is after all the pinnacle of single seat racing and I would hope if I was driving a car that is capable of 200mph that it would be able to stop me safely and quickly ( there is a huge list of materials that they can't use within the car's production)<o:p></o:p>

? Rotating mass harms car performance, and every extra kilo is worth about twice that much in terms of non-rotating mass, simply from the inertia to overcome to get it up to speed , this is another reason why "exotic" materials are used within the braking system <o:p></o:p>

I think this is one of those topics that we could debate all day (well it kind of has been in between chores) .It has been talking with you and I am sure we will converse in the future about moto g.p or your love of the "new" f1 [;)]

Jay

p.s I dont know Max's dad[:$]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve Rider has brought a professional and enthusiastic approach to ITV F1. He even makes Mark Blunder sound reasonable.

Rosental was marked for life for me when, at ITV's first Monaco GP, bobbing about in the harbour, he apologised for the "noise" of the cars!

Max Mosley's dad was Oswald Mosley, who was the leader of the British Fascist Party in the 1930's.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts