Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having become disillusioned with my oil burner I'm now looking at a MKV GTI. What do you think the price to change from an A1 20K mile anniversary PD to 3 door Gti with cloth is likely to be?

I'll let you know the actual figure on Tuesday, my betting is around the 8K mark.

·
Registered
655 Posts
A new GTI is ?19995. If you get ?12500 for you Anni your looking at ?7495. Be interesting to see what a dealer offers.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quote: posted by businessboy on 18/02/2005 14:50:56

they'l want your business

Don't agree at all. All the hype surrounding the GTI has got the dealers all smug. They're all pretty confident of selling their years allocation of GTI's so no good deals at all.

I agree with Tabs, they might try a sneaky sub ?10k offer. Probably looking at 11ish for yours with no discount on the GTI. Even after a good haggle I reckon you'd be doing well to get a price to change of less than ?8.5k.

Hope I'm wrong though! Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
agree with above, they really dont need your business - calling them smug is an understatement. The only wiggle room is the trade-in but my VW guy was telling me today that they are clamping down on high trade in prices to prevent "stealth" discounts. Good luck though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can get a good deal out of them I managed to get ?2500 more out of the VW dealer for the Gti than any other manufacture was willing to give. I have managed to get good discounts on every car I have bought, most salespeople will not turn down a deal as long as your not trying to completely stiff them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My GTi 150 PD is also A1 with 20K on the clock, at 2 years old, Breeze VW in Poole suggested ?10K agaisnt a new GTi.

However from the test drive of the new one dont think I will bother. Sure the handling was better, even if the power feels much the same, and sure the gimicks, auto dimming lights etc, are nice. But is it worth the extra cost...hmmm...for me no. At ?20K basic spec you can get some good deals on non VW cars that are just as good...

..might change my mind when the new oil burner comes out next year, though guess in 5 door with a few extras could be looking at nr ?25K...wow...

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry kayakman, my last post seems a little rude. You are right though, the cost to change your car is a little high and probably unjustified when you have a such a great (and lets face it, nearly new) car. no offence dude

·
Registered
3 Posts
...guess in a day to day round the town sort of way, the extra power of a 2.0 petrol 200bhp vs a 150bhp 1.9 pd aint going to make much difference, well not to me driving the rush hour to work...

...think also where the 150 gets all its power in a rush over a small rev range its 'feels' fast, that shove in the seat of the pants thing. The petrol has power, constant power, through the rev range, less of the sudden shove in the seat of the pants. Maybe thats why it feels less dramatic, and not so fast, although of cousre it is...

...will have to wait for the R36!!! in my dreams...

cheers Uzi9

Quote: posted by Uzi9 on 20/02/2005 02:50:15

sorry kayakman, my last post seems a little rude. You are right though, the cost to change your car is a little high and probably unjustified when you have a such a great (and lets face it, nearly new) car. no offence dude

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are right kayakman, on my drive to work I would almost be better off with my 1.4 [:p]. I must be getting a little annoyed at all the waiting. Apologies again.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well test drove the MKV GTI and I have to say it's a pretty good car.

Likes- steering wheel, handling, interlagos cloth

Dislikes-not very quick, plastic struts on console dig into leg

This car is crying out for a remap IMHO.

Price to change- based on a 3door with no options, ?7.5K and I'm pretty sure I could get a few more quid or some mats/flaps out of them as well

·
Registered
281 Posts
I read the same thing about the central console in a one or two reviews. TBH I never noticed this and actually forgot to check for this. Did this/does this bother anyone else?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The console does' not bother me at all as it is not near the pedles, the TT's are alot closer as the cabin is cramped in comparison.

·
Registered
281 Posts
cool mags. Just read on oxford's thread that you may be getting rid of your gti. Dont mean to be nosy but any particular reason? thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts