Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thinking of going for a Jabba remap soon as saw another members RR figures from their PD115 up at around the 165 mark but was wondering what mods I should do prior to getting the software in that should maximise the envelope of the map. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Was thinking of getting a CAI, however I?ve seen the cracking figures that you can get with a smoothed airbox/ram pipe combo, and have been considering this instead. The only thing that is putting me off with this is that I?ve been running a pipercross panel filter and PSI tuning box for a while now, but as I?ve gone thro about 6 MAFs, think its time to move the panel filter away from the MAF!!! Any suggestions?? <o:p></o:p>

Im running a 2.5 v6 tdi MAF that I got from vwspeed at the mo with a standard paper filter, and its not gone pop, but will be replacing this before I go for the remap. Was reading a thread the other day about ppl fitting the 130 MAF to the 115 and from what I gather, it is the same sensor in the tube, just a wider tube on the 130. This started me thinking, should I be upgrading all the tubing to the wider bore? <o:p></o:p>

Is the mod of fitting the N70 valve from the 130/150 worth doing prior too? <o:p></o:p>

(Also is this the same valve as stealers refer to as EGR valve, as they told me mine was clogged the other day! Should I just block this off if its something different?)<o:p></o:p>

After speaking to allard motorsport the other day, they seemed to think that a front mount intercooler, would help unlock some potential for the map, however they were talking silly money! Would the PD150 FMIC go straight onto my PD115? If so how much should I be paying for 1, big a job would it be to fit?<o:p></o:p>

Any pointers on any of the above would be much appreciated, don?t want to kick myself a few months down the line when map is useless as Iv uprated something else on the car!<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm assuming you've done the brakes and suspension already so here's my 2p:

I've done the 130 boost control valve (N75) mod and the RR figures gave a nice smooth curve with a bit more oomph on a std car. If you're having a custom map done at Jabba AFAIK this will release more grunt than a std 115, possibly up to 130 levels of power (another 10-15bhp maybe?). I changed the MAF at the same time(it was knackered anyway) for one from a 130, but have since found out the part is the same. I would spend the ?30 for the valve - BTW no it's not the same an an EGR valve - and investigate larger bore pipework from a 130. Other than that you could do a 150 I/C, it will bolt on but it's definitely not a simple or cheap job to do. Then you'd have to have a custom map anyway and the power increase wouldn't be much more, just more stable under hot conditions.

If your EGR is blocked then get it cleaned 'cos it'll be hindering the airflow generally.

Much more and you're into the realms of hybrid turbos and clutch changes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Richard [:)] Hoping for a bit more than 10/15 from the jabba map tho m8, i had 145.3bhp/271 lbs from a custom code map a while back but had it taken out due to v.poor fuel economy

Still leaves me with the CAI / Potential MAF eater (smoothed airbox + Green Cotton setup) dilema!! Anyone?

Also should I be putting a decat pipe on before the map? If so has anyone found one of these where I can use my stock cat back system (that'd be worth fitting)??

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sorry - didn't explain it very well - I think if you change the boost control valve then you could see 10-15bhp more than the figures for a re-mapped 115 - closer to the figures for a re-mapped 130. When I changed mine and put a Tunit on I had 155bhp which was the claimed output for a 130 - the claimed figures for a 115 was only 145bhp.

So my guess is, if Jabba are getting 165bhp from a re-mapped 115 then you could get 170/175 with a bit of tweaking from them. I could be wrong but for ?30 it's worth a try and you could always change it back when you're there, it's a 2 minute job to swop them.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Can't see how you'll get that much power from a 115 without sticking a bigger turbo on it. The remap isn't likely to give you a 50bhp increase as the hardware just isn't up to it, certainly not on a sustainable basis. Also how do you expect to get more power without sacrificing fuel economy? They kind of go hand in hand, more power needs more fuel therefore poorer economy.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I agree with Nick, I don't think you'll get much more than 160bhp,unless you start changing the turbo or injectors.

I was running a 115PD with an Upsolute chip with the 130PD Maf & N75 valve, green panel filter and a 150PD turbo and I doubt I was pushing more than 160-165bhp.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with Nick, I don't think you'll get much more than 160bhp,unless you start changing the turbo or injectors.

I was running a 115PD with an Upsolute chip with the 130PD Maf & N75 valve, green panel filter and a 150PD turbo and I doubt I was pushing more than 160-165bhp.
Yep, on a decent rollers (deffo not jabba's one), a remaped PD TDI115 with a GT1749VB turbo, full exhaust system, modified MAF and a few more tweaks put out 167bhp. Remaped only they usually put out around 145-150bhp. But this always depends on the rollers you use like I mentioned...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, please note my comparisons with like for like - i.e. if Jabba claim 165 for a re-mapped 115 then with the valve you might see 170-175 on their rollers i.e. another 5-10bhp over a std 115. (and possibly 155-160ish on a normal set of rollers and using a custom map)

With the valve change I got 10bhp more with the valve than was claimed for a std 115 - I am not saying Jabba's rollers are accurate or that the same change will work for everyone......

I have faith in the rollers I went to, after all on a uk-mkivs RR day at the same place everyone else seemed to be happy with the results, if anything I think the feeling was a little low.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, please note my comparisons with like for like - i.e. if Jabba claim 165 for a re-mapped 115 then with the valve you might see 170-175 on their rollers i.e. another 5-10bhp over a std 115. (and possibly 155-160ish on a normal set of rollers and using a custom map)

With the valve change I got 10bhp more with the valve than was claimed for a std 115 - I am not saying Jabba's rollers are accurate or that the same change will work for everyone......

I have faith in the rollers I went to, after all on a uk-mkivs RR day at the same place everyone else seemed to be happy with the results, if anything I think the feeling was a little low.
Yes, of course Richard.

Other thing ANY kind of rollers will suit perfectly, is to measure actual gains (%) from before/after changes (i.e remap/tb) if both runs are done at a short interval of time. The absolute measured values are not the most important thing to take into consideration here, rather the curves and % gains are far more important to analyse.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quite right - the degree of difference between RRs around the country can vary massively.

I tried to get some baseline figures before adding the boost valve, but the ECU wouldn't reset. The only meaningful stuff we got was a figure of 141bhp with the boost valve, which then rose to 155bhp with the tuning box (Tunit give 145bhp as the top figure for a 115 with a V-PD box on). Hence my guess at a possible 10-15 bhp improvement over a std 115. Of course if the RR operator is good enough to customise the map to suit the boost valve's characteristics then more may be possible, but I don't know enough about the hardware's ability to cope with airflow/fuelling needed to give that sort of increase.

I think back to something that was discussed about RRs not long after I joined this community and my comment was 'who cares what the numbers are, are you happy with the improvement?' my answer to that is yes - for ?30 a very worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys, point taken about what rollers it goes on. Might get it back to JBS and see how it fairs once its done, as I got the feelin from a post I was reading that the masses trust their rollers, and I got my last plot from there too.

Excuse my ignorance but is the GT1749VB the Garret VNT17 from a PD150? What would be involved in getting this on, custom manifold? If so I take it this mod will be in the same sort of price bracket as uprating the injectors? If thats the case, which will be more beneficial? [:s]
These are both garage jobs too I take it? Anyone braved either of the above and have any info on whats involved?

Is a de-cat pipe not even worth contemplating then without a full system? I want to stick with the standard exhaust system, as I have the anni PD rear valance and dont want to mess around sourcing/coding a 4motion or petrol anni one [:(]

With regards to the gunked up EGR valve, am I not better of just turning this off with VAG-COM?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
With regards to the gunked up EGR valve, am I not better of just turning this off with VAG-COM?
AFAIK if your EGR is gunked up it could mean your inlet manifold is gunked too - definitely worth a clean anyway and just turn down the EGR settings using VAG-Com.

Edit: Here's a pic of a clogged valve.....

Posted Image

BTW it's on US fuel

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Right peeps, question : what is the EGR?? where is it, how do I check if its dirty or not??

I am reading this thread with mucho interest as I have recently bought a PD115, Lee gave me his 130 maf, green cotton filter and N7j Valve thingy! The car drives much smoother then before with an inprovement on pickup! Sooooooooo I'm just seeing what else can be done (my very first Derv you see!![:$])

Oh and ARB's are on their way to sort out the amazing boat handling![:O]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Guys, EGR off and cleaned then! Guess Im using carb cleaner??

NickB > Why do you think that closing off the EGR will affect the longivity of the car if its purpose is only to reduce emmisions?

Anyone any light to shed on the following:

Excuse my ignorance but is the GT1749VB the Garret VNT17 from a PD150? What would be involved in getting this on, custom manifold? If so I take it this mod will be in the same sort of price bracket as uprating the injectors? If thats the case, which will be more beneficial? [:s]
These are both garage jobs too I take it? Anyone braved either of the above and have any info on whats involved?

Is a de-cat pipe not even worth contemplating then without a full system? I want to stick with the standard exhaust system, as I have the anni PD rear valance and dont want to mess around sourcing/coding a 4motion or petrol anni one [:(]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Allard sells a EGR replacement kit....

The EGR can be almost totally and electronically disabled via vag-com and that should be enough for most. If you decide to clean the EGR then you should also take the chance to clean the intake manifold that usually gets all dirty from the egr and ccv gasses mix.

I currently have both the EGR disabled (via vag-com) and a CCV bypass.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.