Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got one of the above fitted when I got my coilovers fitted with other bushes too. It seems to transmit a lot of engine vibration through the cabin - givin me a bit of a sore head by the time I reach work as I have to sit a lot in traffic. Over the last few days it does semm to be settling in better and seems to be a bit quieter. Is this normal for this bush or am I just getting used to the noise ?

cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Sarah - it does make a big difference t0 the drivetrain as the throttle is more responsive and gear changes better due to the big reduction in engine movement. In the mean time I'll keep some aspirin in my pocket ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am looking to get the old dogbone mount and have heard the same that it can take a while to settle down.

Probably goin to do it after christmas so I think I will as the missus for asprin afor christmas[:p]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I had one of these fitted AWESOME to my modified 110 TDI. Vibration was terrible and after it settled, there was still quite a lot. The only time the car felt normal again was when the engine was returned to standard output! Didn't notice it then!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had one of these fitted AWESOME to my modified 110 TDI. Vibration was terrible and after it settled, there was still quite a lot. The only time the car felt normal again was when the engine was returned to standard output! Didn't notice it then!
So it was that bad then??[:O] How long before you changed it back then ?? also stupid question (you can shoot me down for this)[:$] but has the fact that it is a diesel engine and is quite heavy in comparison to say a 1.8t engine why it was so bad ??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i just got mine today, will be fitting it on the weekend, ill let you know how i do.

ps was it easy to fit, any tips to avoide disastors lol

thanks

Andy

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So it was that bad then??[:O] How long before you changed it back then ?? also stupid question (you can shoot me down for this)[:$] but has the fact that it is a diesel engine and is quite heavy in comparison to say a 1.8t engine why it was so bad ??
I think because the engine had bigger injectors, it was naturally trying to move more anyway and the dog bone replacement transmitted that through to the cabin. I had gotten used to it but passengers asked if I had installed a massage unit in the seats as they could feel quite a vibration. It's a cheap mod so if you don't like it, you can always take it off. I just learned to live with it as the response you get is brilliant! You could use half your standard bush and half the power flex one as a compromise.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had this fitted to cure the engine hop for my remap, it did the job but the cabin vibrated to much that i got shot of it after about 1k, had to say i hated it.think i would try the uprated R32 one before the powerflex one even if it was dearer IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Has anyone tried anything on the powerflex bush to make it better in terms of vibration. I wondered if drilling some holes in it might reduce the solid vibration it seems to put into the cabin. I have had one on my v5 for ages and still not too keen. The annoying thing is that I tried to buy the standard VW bushes to be told you cant buy them seperately. You have to buy the whole mount! Hence why I have not reverted back to the OEM ones.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've done about 250miles now in my TDi (170bhp) and it's really settled down well - a little worse when cold and mainly vibrating when the engine is labouring (which you want to avoid anyway) so all in all I'm happy enough. Hopefully it will settle down a little more and won't be far off standard in terms of noise but the way it helps engine movement and throttle response makes it worth it IMO. I reckon it won't be nearly as bad in a petrol as they tend to be lighter and smoother than a diesel.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am looking to get the old dogbone mount and have heard the same that it can take a while to settle down.

Probably goin to do it after christmas so I think I will as the missus for asprin afor christmas[:p]
ive done about 2-3k on mine, still shakes the hell out of me

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
fitted mine today, my exhaust boomed into life when i started it up hehe. and then it started to vibrate my face off lol

we will see how it settles down soon [:p]

tried accelerating up to 5,000rpm in 3rd then dropping of the throttle sharply, no engine "jerk" or movement atall, was superb [:p]

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
got my powerflex dog mount buss fitted

I reckon 1 of the best mods done so far.. much tighter on clutch drops ang gear change

vibrates ALOT more than i expect, lots of dash vibes.. but hopefully settles down.. defo worth it... cant recommment the bush more here, the original was like jelly when you compared them

forgot my camera to show peeps.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Still not convinced about mine. Have done 500-1000 miles on it, and I'm fairly sure it's one of the main reasons I find my car not terribly relaxing to drive.

I want a car with a split personality. Able to cruise around comfortably, but also be agressive when it needs to.

I've got a feeling the powerflex dogbone bush was a step too far toward 'hardcore'.

Not convinced it's going to 'settle in' much either, having already done 500-1000 miles on it.

Does anyone know the part number for the R32 item?

L

1 - 20 of 43 Posts