Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had mine fitted on Saturday when the car was serviced along with replacing the other rubber bits....

The vibration in the cabin is pretty noticeable now and the Mrs is giving me hell for it. I know this subsides as things settle in but how long does it take?!

·
Registered
861 Posts
my dogbone took about 1000 miles to calm down but it will always be noticable for the first five minutes after you start the engine.

some people who cant take the vibration often put one of the halves of the old dogbone in with the powerflex.

bob

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to put some miles on the car then as we only did 5.5k last year! Can't handle nagging for the next 8 or so weeks about this! Might be that I end up do the half/half route!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SWMBO has just called me on her way home complaining... The call was bad too as the Nokia car kit was picking up the vibration! I'm in the dog house!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had mine fitted a while now and it seemed to settle down after a couple of weeks, dunno about mileage though because since starting a new job nearer home my comute is only 4 miles a day there & back. If you find it to hard though you could always do what some people have done and leave one half as the Neoprene bush and use your original standard bush for the other half.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL!!!

I've got it on the TDI and it calmed down after 2000 miles but still very noticeable!
I'd imagine on a TDi it would be more noticeable?

Might end up going down the route of half/half....

It's gonna take us ages to do 1000 or so miles although I have a nice trip to Peterborough [:D] planned on the 16th which will knock on about 500 miles!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you find it to hard though you could always do what some people have done and leave one half as the Neoprene bush and use your original standard bush for the other half.
Sounds like this might be the way to go, I'll have to see how much abuse I can take!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had powerflex bushes on my TDI and the vibration was still terrible after about 5000 miles! Certainly calmed down a bit but everything in the cabin was rattling and shaking!

I've taken it out now and fitted the R32 standard mount. Its great.... 'stiffness' (for want of a better word!) is almost comparable to the powerflex, but the vibrations are gone!!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had powerflex bushes on my TDI and the vibration was still terrible after about 5000 miles! Certainly calmed down a bit but everything in the cabin was rattling and shaking!

I've taken it out now and fitted the R32 standard mount. Its great.... 'stiffness' (for want of a better word!) is almost comparable to the powerflex, but the vibrations are gone!!!
Are the R32 rubbers the same size etc as the 1.8T then?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Steve.. give it a chance to run in and soften up. Mine is still harsh first thing after starting up and when pulling away from a standstill, you just need to give it a few more revs and that seems to make it less noticeable, it only seems to be harsh when pulling away slowly from an idle, if that makes sense ? Mine was fitted september 04.

Some people fit them half and half and some swiss cheese the bush so it makes it more supple and compliant.

·
Registered
861 Posts
have you over tightened it ? (you could keep on turning until the bush is completely solid)

honestly i have trim rattle just till the engines warms. I also have the rest of the cars bushes powerflexed and road noise is up slightly but it has improved the steering response loads. The car feels like it could turn into any corner at speed (i just cant drive good enough to do it often)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think ideally the engine torque mount/dog bone needs to be based on something more advanced than a rudimentary bush, rubber or otherwise. I'm thinking suspension damping technology, and while we're at it, why not Koni FSD [H]. So it behaves differently according to the vibrations - there's no way you can engineer a bush compound to behave in as complex a manner.

Then you'd have compliance at low revs for lazy driving and then it firms up when you rag it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be overtightened as I didn't do it myself, will give it a couple of weeks and see what it's like...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think ideally the engine torque mount/dog bone needs to be based on something more advanced than a rudimentary bush, rubber or otherwise. I'm thinking suspension damping technology, and while we're at it, why not Koni FSD [H]. So it behaves differently according to the vibrations - there's no way you can engineer a bush compound to behave in as complex a manner.

Then you'd have compliance at low revs for lazy driving and then it firms up when you rag it.
Makes sense....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Depends what you want from your car.  Ever after 1000 miles or so, mine still had more vibes than I wanted.  The half and half compromise works very well IMO.  Little or no vibes but better resistance to movement than stock.  It's the way to go if you want to retain that stock level of comfort.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Just fitted mine to the TDI and it's a bone-shaker, going to give it a few weeks to bed-in and wait for some warm weather, close to going for the R32 mount now though!!

Chris.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts