Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really considering replacing/upgrading the dogbone mount bush on my 1.8T. I have read that SuperPro are generally considered to be superior products to Powerflex and most importantly are less harsh, despite being the same density?

I have noticed that SuperPro do 3 bushes (70k-Diesel, 80k-Petrol, 90k-Race) and was considering putting the '70k' item on my car as it will be softer than the the Petrol version and will cause less vibrations & harshness. I have eMailled SuperPro who advise using the 80k Petrol application as it was designed specifically for that engine...however I am thinking that as the OEM bush is softer than 70k what is the problem in running the diesel bush instead?

Has anyone run a 1.8T with either the 70k or 80k versions? If so what are your opinions, etc.?

Luke

·
Registered
988 Posts
lol i was thinking about this exact same thing, did a search, and this came up and its an active thread - haha great minds think alike [Y].

So yea not sure if I should go with the diesel or street petrol one, hmmm

You found a cheap seller btw?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not yet mate...but I did discover that powerflex actually sell a diesel bush too (which I was not aware of when first writing this thread):

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Front+Engine+Mount+Dog+Bone+%28Diesel%29/1819.html

I am going to give them and email and try and find out the durometer rating of the bush as I know the SuperPro Diesel one is 70k.

TBH I may give it a go for the £20 it costs anyway as it is a fair bit cheaper than the SP bush.

Next task is to find out whether it is purely these bushes that should be changed or there are other ones in/near the dogbone mount (as I have never looked at it before I wouldnt know [:$])

·
Registered
988 Posts
I didn't know PF made a diesel one either, maybe its new, keep us posted on what powerflex say mate.

Yea the superpro one is about £35 inc delivery from what ive seen.

There are other engine mounts that can be changed too, but the dog bone bushes make the biggest difference I believe, especially for gear changes.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got a reply:

Hi Luke<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for your e-mail, the prices quoted on the website are per bush the bushes are supplied with a sachet of copper grease.<o:p></o:p>

I will forward the e-mail, onto the technical department with regards to the other point raised who will respond to you upon their return to the office on the 4 January.<o:p></o:p>

The bushes can be purchased through any of our distributors listed on the website under the distributors section.<o:p></o:p>

I guess we will have to wait until the 4th to discover the durometer rating then.

Also, I did not realise that it was £20+ per bush...as I remember buying a pair of Powerflex bushes before from ebay which came in a box (never fitted, sold instead) and they were about £20 for the pair...???

·
Registered
988 Posts
That email has raised more questions than answers, Per bush? eh? what exactly did you ask him lol?

I'm pretty sure you get 2 nonidentical bushes, since their is only one part number. but you dont get the O shaped bush just the 2 oval sausage shapes ones...?

[:S]

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That email has raised more questions than answers, Per bush? eh? what exactly did you ask him lol?

I'm pretty sure you get 2 bushes, since their is only one part number. but you dont get the O shaped bush just the 2 oval sausage shapes ones...?

Thats exactly what I thought. So I e-mailled back to confirm how many bushes you actually get in a box. I think there may have be a slight communication error then:

Thank you for your e-mail, yes our distributors usually sell them as a kit of two.

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
988 Posts
its personal preferance, changing the small round one will give you more of the same - a slightly harsher ride but more precise.

Have you thought about using an R32 dog bone bush since you want the keep things smooth? the r32 dog bone bushes are firmer than the 1.8t bushes but softer than these polly ones...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its personal preferance, changing the small round one will give you more of the same - a slightly harsher ride but more precise.

Have you thought about using an R32 dog bone bush since you want the keep things smooth? the r32 dog bone bushes are firmer than the 1.8t bushes but softer than these polly ones...
Yeah, but they are about £70. Plus you cant get the bushes seperately, you have to buy the whole mount.

I tried contacting VW a couple of years back to try and find who made the bushes (i.e. if it was Lemforder, Pierburg, etc.) in order to source them seperately, but it was an actual VW made part...so it was a no-go in the end, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For reference the Powerflex (diesel) bush part number is 'PFF85-420R' and it is a red bush as opposed to the yellow petrol bush ('PFF85-420'). There is a seller on ebay that has a BIN price of circa £17 inc. delivery...however AwesomeGTI have the regular petrol bush on sale for £16.

I have emailed Awesome to see if they can get holf of the diesel bushes, and if they are the same price (waiting for a reply), and I am still waiting for a reply from Powerflex's technical department as to the duromoeter rating of the diesel bush (compared to that of the petrol). I will keep you all updated as to my findings.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems we have an answer:

<o:p></o:p>

It comes as 2 polyurethane parts and a pack of grease as the PFF85-420, but in a softer 60 Shore A material.<o:p></o:p>

Please let me know if you require any further information

So the OEM bushing has a rating of 50

the petrol (Yellow) bush has a rating of 70

the diesel (red) bush has a rating of 60 (hybrid of OEM and petrol bush!?!)

On that basis I am going to 'dip my toe in the water' and try the red bush...Updates will follow within the next few days

1 - 20 of 37 Posts