Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Driving up a hill on the way home just now, the car seemed to lose all power and the revs were fluctuating between 3-4k - couldn't get it any higher, even dropping down a gear. Couldn't get more than 40mph out of it.

Managed to get home, popped the bonnet and revved the engine. Started fine and idle sounds normal. Upon revving though it sounds (from the bonnet area) that I've had a massive bad boy exhaust fitted. Very growly.

Its dark so can't really do much more tonight, but any ideas what it might be?

The car is a 2007 Mk5, 2.0 GT TDI (140).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
popped hose maybe, sounds like it went into limp mode feels like its holding back and wont rev or go fast

wait till it's light tomorrow then check all hoses and vacum pipes failing that maybe get it scanned

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks , will do.

Would there be an indication on the dash or elsewhere that its in limp mode, or do you just know when it is?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
sometimes, had my maf go once went to start it one morning light came on went to drive and no power but this isn't always the case if its a popped hose or sticky vanes

Ian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I checked all that I could see this morning and there's no obvious hoses that are disconnected.

Connected it to vagcom and it had one code relating to the MAF (something like temp sensor too low), cleared it and it never came back.

Driving with the MAF disconnected helps (i.e. I can get a consistently higher driving speed without the jerkiness) but I guess this is just because its running richer, thereby hiding any potential degraded turbo performance.

Any other suggestions gratefully received - thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS. I was surprised the ECU dash warning light didn't come on even with a fault relating to the MAF (now cleared through vagcom). Still no dash warning light (nor has there been since this started last night)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts