Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum after buying a 2000 Golf 1.6 S just 7 days ago.

I have a question about the mirrors... the controls seem to indicate they can fold electrically, but switching the knob to the folding position, indicated by the folder mirror icon, does nothing.

Everything else works, but the mirrors do not fold.

Any ideas? Do they need resetting? Are they broken?

If the folding mechanism does not work, how do I fold them manually??? It's an almost embarrasing question, but when I try to fold them manually they just won't budge, and I'm afraid of being too forceful and break the mirror. What's the trick? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was suspecting that! Too suspicious that every other little electronic gizmo works, but not this one. Not a problem... but they really are hard to fold! Hmm, I guess I'll try on the passenger's side first in case it does break.

Does it have a latch? Maybe they have to be lifted a bit before folding? I tried that, as some other cars have that system... but they're firmly put!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They look standard, the mirror itself is slightly tinted and gets darker when bright, and the electronic adjustment works. Not sure whether they heat up because I have only had the car for a week and the weather just wasn't cold enough. I should put my hand to it next time I use my heated rear window.

I will take a couple of pictures and post them here.

I really don't want to apply too much force to them and break them because, in the 7 days I've owned it:

1) managed to break the driver's door puddle light. Don't know how, it just... came off, breaking at the plastic tabs that holds it in place. That happened a day after I ordered one for the passenger's side, which was missing from the start.

2) light on heater panel occasionally comes on. Reading lots of reports about it, I see it's not unusual for the bulb to go off... or in my case, make poor contact. So I'll have to check the mounting and see whether I can make it better.

3) last night the water temperature gauge just dropped. From what I gather, it's not unusual for the sensor to fail...

4) rear left brake light gave up. It may have been like that a few days, just noticed it.

So... nothing major (yet). Car runs great. Just a good succession of small niggles, and I feel reluctant to add to it by being too forceful on the mirror [;)]

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Looks like a standard mirror mate. To fold it in manually you just need to use some force. Don't worry you're unlikely to break it. They are designed to fold on impact if you hit another cars mirror whilst moving!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a deep breath and... I folded them without breaking anything [:D]

Thank you for all the replies!

I'm amazed at the randomness of the mirror buttons [:S]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts