Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know we should not use the standard jack to lift car,
but I had no option (puncture on my car 30 miles from home) why did VW design such a crap tool to lift car off the
ground, I have written to VW Customer Care about this useless piece of
equipment, and if any of you have had similar mishaps post pics here, and I
will send link for VW to look at.

Cost to repair approx ?50, but more of concern is how dangerous these things
are, has VW ever done a risk assessment on the damned things?

I went out today and bought a small trolley jack, so will not have to deal with this again.

Pics of damage to my sill, I had followed manufactures instructions in the handbook to the
letter and this still happened, not acceptable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dont want to rub it in mate, but I never have a problem using it, for a small job. They are pretty generic for most marques, so I dont think VW would be at fault.

However, I feel for ya, with the damage caused I too would be a bit peeved off !!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
my guess it sliped! and yes it is useless but when your stuck i gues its beter then nothing..how much your trolly jack cost ya?

Mo

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
yeah, those that come with the car are absolutely shite,

other day, i was taking the bumper off, and had to jack the car up

as i was about to put my head under the front to see where the torque screws were located

the damn thing gave way, and i luckily enough managed to get my head out in time

the jack came crashing down, but luckily i had the tripods underneath, no damage though

vw should be ashamed of themselves for using these things

hafizur

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the VW jack is actually quite good?! I jack my car up VERY often and its allways been upto the job. I allways put my spare wheel under the car just incase the worse happens.

·
Registered
924 Posts
my jack give way before too... the worse thing was the the rear wheel was off at the time! causing damage to the skirts and rear disc!! but now i carry a mini trolley jack in the boot, which is well up to the job.

will

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the VW jack is actually quite good?! I jack my car up VERY often and its allways been upto the job. I allways put my spare wheel under the car just incase the worse happens.
Agreed. I find mine very good. I wouldn't trust it with a body part under the car and it's a bit more awkward now I've got skirts fitted, but generally it's good.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Mine decided to give way when a wagon went past me on the M62, luckily i had only just jacked it up and hadn't took the wheel off, now i've got a trolly jack in the boot, wouldn't use a vw jack again if you paid me!

Posted Image

·
Registered
924 Posts
snap thats the same jack i got!! great for alittle money too...

will

by the way chris did you get the antera valve sorted?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I can only think you Guys aint using it properly ... those jacks are very generic and most manufactureres use them.

I have never had a problem... aprat from when i jacked up on a hill... and realised it wasnt in gear! doh

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In my opinion there is only one way to use it, dangerously!

As far as i'm concerned i did everything correctly, It was a back wheel, i had it in gear (very slight slope on the road) i even chocked one front wheel on both sides with stones from the side of the road, the jack was level and in the right place. It just isn't stable enough to cope with a gust of wind at the side of a motorway, which lets face it is where alot of people use them, bad design!

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
search for 'widow maker' on vwvortex and see what comes up. Lots and lots of failures with the standard jack. I use a small trolleyjack for peace of mind

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looking at that picture, the jack couldnt of been seated properly for it to slip and catch the sill.  In my opinion the jacks are perfectly safe if used in the correct manner.  As for them collapsing on people, well,  at the end of the day they are just an aid to changing changing a wheel in an emergency. for general maintenance though, you should use a trolley jack and axle stands.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You have a very similar dent to mine!!! not just me then......

The car just tilted over and wedged the jack against the bodywork!! doh!!!..

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
In my opinion there is only one way to use it, dangerously!

As far as i'm concerned i did everything correctly, It was a back wheel, i had it in gear (very slight slope on the road) i even chocked one front wheel on both sides with stones from the side of the road, the jack was level and in the right place. It just isn't stable enough to cope with a gust of wind at the side of a motorway, which lets face it is where alot of people use them, bad design!
Unfortunately any supporting device that touches the ground at only one point as well as supporting the load at one point is prone to this, that's why a tripod is better than a monopod, for example - but it's not practical in terms of boot space usage for manufacturers to put in anything beefier. If you do need to change a wheel in windy conditions, put the spare under the car near the jacking point under the subframe as a safety net.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Unfortunately any supporting device that touches the ground at only one point as well as supporting the load at one point is prone to this, that's why a tripod is better than a monopod, for example - but it's not practical in terms of boot space usage for manufacturers to put in anything beefier.
I'll remember to point that out if i ever come across someone who has lost a limb because of this jack failing. I understand what you are saying but i still think it is a risk that is not acceptable.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i can understand ppl putting there spare under the car, but if you have a alloy as a spare as i do, then i think you dont want to cos it might scatch the alloy.

will

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have never had an issue with them. But I have always used extra supports and not relied on it as a single means of support, nor needed to use it on the side of a motorway.

Those carrying trolley jacks in the boot I would try and store it the correct way up so to minimise any chance of fluid loss or the fluid filling a chamber it shouldn't inside the jack. I would suggest a bottle jack would be a better solution if you are that concerned about it. Or an even simpler and easier idea would be to carry an axle stand? At least that won't leak hydraulic fluid into the boot well.

I have seen a few, and heard of more, incidents when trolley jacks have gone over as well so they too are falible.

As an emergency jack imoho I feel they are more than adequate and up to the task. If conditions are such (wind, location etc..) that you feel unsafe to use it then phone the AA or such like and get them to change your wheel.

Sorry to hear about your incident though and the damage to the car. At least it is only ?50. Not an arm.

I suppose the only real 'safe' solution is to drive the car to the nearest garage and get it up on a full ramp/lift. Or just work swiftly and be very conscious of the surroundings.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts