Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be it cool, funny or memorable in some other way... or just plain obscure or contrived, what the smeg were the marketing guys thinking?!

Computer graphics cards often have outlandish names, anyone remember the Hercules Terminator Beast?! (There was even a Supercharged edition!)

I love my MDR-F1 headphones, my P3V4X motherboard... I also love product lines that have a pretty clear and logical construction to individual model names, so for example my motherboard takes P3 processor, is based on Via chipset and I guess the 4X is for AGP 4X (OK I'm taking a guess at the last bit...)

Oh, and my favourite hard disk drive has to be the Western Digital Raptor series [H] Rarrrr... [:D]

Golf is a cool name even though it derived from the German for Gulf (Gulf wind) which is spelt Golf... then the clever marketing guys played on the idea of the leisurely game of company directors, what with the golf ball gear knob on the GTI.

My favourite integrated circuit logic chip number is... hang on I can't post that because I use it as a PIN [;)]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I could probably list my least favorite model number / names.

CMI hard drives 16MB 5 1/4 half height drive (OK so I'm showing my age here), we had to go out every 6 months and spray the optical speed sensor so that he drive started when powered up. I wouldn't mind but the contract we had with BT included 2 systems in Scotland and we were based in London.

Mannesman Tally MT460 I changed shed loads of printheads on those before MT fixed it by changing the ribon advance mechanism. We also used to install thier Lineprinters in the Admin building at the MOD and it took four of you to lift them off of the pallet as they were installed in a large fariday cage so that the Russians couldn't listen in to the electrical emissions.

We also used to maintain S100 Bus based Micros and they didn't have any board eject levers, the number of times I left sites with all the fingers on both hands with pinprick sized bleeds.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I hadn't better show this to my boss, you'll be reading all day long. I'm sure he knows every part number in all HP back catalogues. He also seems to know the part numbers of every TV on the market.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Graphics card - Gainward 6800GT 2400/Ultra Golden Sample - one of the longest names ever i think

I also like my motherboard, quite neat, P4C800-E Deluxe Edition

Those hard drives are excellent, though a bit pricy, only use them for my main system.

And, nope your correct, 4x means 4x AGP

Done a search and this came up as one of the longest names ever:

Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40 GB MP3 Player

or even:

"Microsoft? WinFX? Software Development Kit for Microsoft? Pre-Release Windows Operating System Code-Named "Longhorn", Beta 1 Web Setup"

Just my 2p's worth

Hafizur

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also like my motherboard, quite neat, P4C800-E Deluxe Edition
That's an excellent board, although the cheaper P4P800 was supposedly (albeit marginally) even better - Asus was the first to unlock the "missing" PAT function of the i865 (vs i875), which really really annoyed Intel (and loads of others followed suit, Gigabyte with MIB - Memory Intelligent Booster, none of them could use PAT because that was proprietary to Intel). Funniest thing is that Intel actually used the Asus P4P board in some promo material as an official endorsement, oops [:D]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
yep, that board is so sweet, never had anything go wrong with it, after using it for a year, i ended up gearing the whole office with these instead of those d*ll boxes

Asus boards are the dogs, never had a fault. The only thing that comes close is SuperMicro, but i only use them for Servers

XFX REVO64 NC3000 Gamer's Edition

Now, is that a chipped card? i wonder what the extra bhp will be on that. Though it being a raid card, it will be quite fast.

Looks like IBM/Lenovo do an R32 too, ThinkPad R32 http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_TR9CHUK?OpenDocument

hafizur

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Asus P3V4X has been running 6 years no problem, and it's quite highly clocked with 1:1 FSB/memory ratio as well, although I did have to bond a heat sink onto the PLL chip to stabilise the clock signals, which enabled me to squeeze a bit more out of it. My graphics card is an Asus AGP-V6800 Deluxe, bought at the same time, was the top GeForce 256 DDR card of its day (didn't follow the Nvidia reference design by a long shot, Asus added video in/out, hardware monitor chip and 3D stereo glases driver!), also stuck heat sinks on all the SGRAM chips, and flashed the BIOS to enable AGP sideband addressing which gave me a 2% increase on 3DMark2000, LMAO. Stable as well, even though Nvidia said no-no to SBA.

Supermicro boards are excellent, spartan but businesslike packages and I also use them for servers when we can get hold of them and load them with Corsair memory, the last few servers I've built have been with the MSI E7320 Master dual Xeon. http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/537765.aspx

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asus boards are the dogs, never had a fault. The only thing that comes close is SuperMicro, but i only use them for Servers
Asus is also a huge OEM manufacturer and you'll see Asus branded motherboards inside HP and Sony Vaio desktops among others. However, due to my current situation I'm far more familiar with Gigabyte and now MSI products... I've been led astray, LOL [:D]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Its funny how graphics card manufacturers are branding their cards like cars, and whats even more funny is they actually sell like hot cakes due to this

One thing i did notice with MSI boards is that each one i owned died on the 13th month, might be coincidence, but thats three to my list. MSI 875P Neo-FISR (Both versions) and some other old Socket 7 Board. After that i stopped getting MSI

The best supermicro board i had was the P6DBE and the P6DGE, Dual P2/P3 boards and worked wonders. The BX chipset back then was just unstoppable, must of turned out 1,000's while working at Hi-Grade which use ASUS again.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The BX was a legend... Before Intel came out with an "official" 133FSB chipset to support the new Coppermine PIII some board manufacturers released factory-overclocked BX boards, which ran the BX at 133 and it was still rock-solid and easily outperformed the alternative 133FSB solutions from other chipset manufacturers. Then Intel gave us the 815 Solano. Hmm.

I think Asus was the first manufacturer to produce really decent manuals for a motherboard manufacturer, I mean they were really packed with detail, and the print quality and page layout was always really neat. You can always tell when a product has been made with love [Y]

Look at some manuals from other manufacturers of the time, or how motherboard and graphics card manuals were in the early 1990s and it's shocking [:|]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think Asus was the first manufacturer to produce really decent manuals for a motherboard manufacturer, I mean they were really packed with detail, and the print quality and page layout was always really neat. You can always tell when a product has been made with love [Y]
Yeah, Asus have great manuals for MBs. I got a P4C800-E Deluxe and the manual helped me build my own PC and I'm not even in the computer industry!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Roland TB-303 and TR-808 are my favourites ;-)

I'm also a big fan of Asus boards I always use them

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not even the TR-909? [:O]

Hmm, I think we need an Asus Club sub-section to this forum [:p]

Roland's a pretty cool name for a music technology company although when I was younger it always made me think of the chubby boy in Grange Hill!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Not even the TR-909? [:O]

Hmm, I think we need an Asus Club sub-section to this forum [:p]

Roland's a pretty cool name for a music technology company although when I was younger it always made me think of the chubby boy in Grange Hill!
haha bang on! 'Roland Browning' from Grange Hill, me too :eek:D

TR-909 is also good though but I was always the electro / aciiiied type ;o)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts