Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
post all comments/pictures from day in here:

i thought it was a great day, looks like everyone had fun. was a well run day! shame the weather closed in at lunchtime though [:(]

track action was good, though a lil expensive for me! 2 warped discs and 4 knackered tyres! just glad it stayed dry for me, had major grip issues, came in with lumps of rubber melted into my tyres [:|]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had an absolutely amazing time!!

6 or 7 great laps to begin with that caused Spanner to go and relieve
himself of ?90 [:D] sorry again mate [;)] and then some fantastic
(free!!) instructor laps with a very good driver who gave me so much advice and help.

I think he even made Chungster have to put his foot down a bit harder hey Lee [;)]

I also bought a really great A4 photo of me on the track. I'll have to
see if I can get a good enough picture of it to put on here.

The car corners really flat with lots of grip and it is incredibly
forgiving. I had a few moments due to lack of brakes and an overtaking
Audi and the instructor ended up entering Quarry a bit too quick as my
brakes decided to stop playing ball.

Cue lots of squirming and a nice amount of squeal as it understeered through Quarry!

However, it kept its cool and didn't do anything that would worry me so I am very confident with it.

I just need more power and bigger brakes and it will be a great track car.

Also I was the only Bora out there... as per usual [:D]

Good to see everyone again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Was a good day indeed.

Felt it was a little bit quieter then last year as in traders - they seem to be getting less and less each year now. [:(]

Cars on track seemed to enjoy it especially in the morning sessions due to the dry track and later in the day. After lunch it did rain a bit which spiced things up a little.

Whatever tw$t was driving the 'Awesome' silver Audi needs a big talking to several times though on what a track day is all about though. Once cars got behind them, never allowed to pass basically and they got out of shape a few times making others do the same [:mad:] One R32 nearly lost it at Quary becuase the id10t braked whilst in the corner becuase of too much speed and we ended up almost losing it and same again whilst an instructor was behind him - pillock.......

Other then this, was great to meet up with everyone again [:D]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noticed that too, very little trade stands, remember last year there was lots more, ended up not spending anything there on the day this year!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Fanastic day. I may be an unplanned ?90 lighter, but it was worth every single penny and the tutored laps were exactly what I needed to edge my confidence enough to use my own car on track. Silly really, considering how many times I've been on track before, but the "own car factor" was certainly a big hurdle for me. The day also turned out to be a great way of finishing off my 20,000 mile Eagle F1s - the tread is a right mess now.

My last session started with a wet track and I was rather handily at the back of the pack out of the pits. The R turned out to be quite a playful old fella on the drying surface and if anything, seemed to corner with a slight amount of oversteer instead of being neutral. This, naturally, made it massive fun although I did have a moment coming out The Esses due to the water on the inside kerb.

Only complaints would be the almost total lack of trade stands, the Audi 100 2.8 that was attempting to drift all the time and the West Tuning MkV R32 which, believe it or not, held me up for the entire length of my second session. I wasn't a lot faster than him but the point was that he should have let me through. My brakes were too tired to try and make a move round him into a corner and he kept giving it the full moo on the straights. Frustrating. Obviously too embarressing to let a better-looking MkIV R32 through when you've got potential customers on board [:D]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spanner, what was tutor like? saw you swapping seats in the pits, you went out in front of me. tutors were free 2day?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I had a fantastic day too[:D]

Great company from you guys (Mark Reading, Blue V5, Spanner, Chungster, Starry and anyone else I met but forgotten!), half decent weather (the rain didn't come to much) and not too busy out on track. I also took advantage of the free instruction and it really was worth it.

The instructor drove my car for a few laps with me as passenger talking me through all the corners and when to brake, when to turn, and how fast I can go through each corner etc etc. Then we pulled into the pits and swapped over and he was talking me through as I was driving. I got told off for a few things, mainly for going into a couple of corners too fast, leaning over when I go round corners (I can't help it!) and sometimes turning at the wrong point. I only went out for one more session after the instruction but I felt a lot more confident than my morning sessions.

I also bought a photo of me on track:

Posted Image

I hope Mark enjoyed his trip with Gary in the R32. I've heard you went a bit quiet after the near spin off! Just for the record, the same twat in the silver Audi that made you brake in a corner and nearly lose it did exactly the same to us when the instructor was driving my car. He told the marshalls when we got back into the pits so I just hope he got a talking to because I heard someone else was complaining about him in a morning session as well.

Anyone else come home with windburn?[:(]

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Now that is how a track day should be organised!

Funny really...cos today I received a letter from the organiser that I did Silverstone with last week. They admit some things went wrong and next time it won't happen again!

I had a brilliant day in all. Good to meet some of you today (and convert into Track Day addicts hehe) and thanks to all who turned up to fill up the uk-mkivs stand!

Yes Rich for a split second your instructor "thought" he had me until he put his foot down and realised "oh no where's the power he's pulling away" lol [;)]

Still my GTI in standard trim has impressed me immensely in it's first 2 track days. Brakes are holding up and the tyres seem ok!

Oh yeah one final thing.

Rich / Dan / Claire / Matt. I've got an old contact from my Scooby days who is organising a track day at Castle Combe again on Monday Sept 18th. ?160 open pit lane and max 40 cars with max 10 cars per session at the start. 100db noise limit (bit more room for you then Dan to comply with)

Let me know if you fancy another outing. He's a top geezer and the track day will not have any muppets taking part (unlike today)

The one car that p'd me off most was the green Audi 100 2.8 Quattro. The day was not about drifting. No one else was doing it. To yank the hand brake on in the middle of a corner with cars following is plain chav and muppety. Your car is not RWD. It was pointless and ruined for some what was a very good day.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes mate, i'll be up for that other day. want to do a lot more time on track now [;)]

anyone get any pics with digi cams?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Could well be interested in another session - especially if there's going to be a low number of cars on track again. All depends on my funds really. I was a bit surprised with how my tyres ended up - the aged Eagle F1s had disintegrated, grained and bobbled, whereas that nasty budget tyre on the front looked untouched once I'd got home. Is this just the way an old tyre wears on track? I can't say I fancy doing another track day with a brand new set of boots if they're going to end up annihilated. Damn lardy R32s !

Matt, the instructor was free but depending on when you joined the queue you could end up with a bit of a wait. I think I sat around for nearly an hour but it was worth it. Also, travelling at 125mph towards Avon Rise in your own car.....but sitting in the passenger seat is a very strange experience.

Finally, my turn for a photo of a photo:

Posted Image

Anyway, time to start my nightshift now. Joy of joys.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hope Mark enjoyed his trip with Gary in the R32. I've heard you went a bit quiet after the near spin off!
Indeed I was enjoy the passenger ride until that moment in time especially when you are seeing brakes lights coming on when you just know how wrong that is

Yep

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'll have a word a him about the track day then.

I could request we go out as a group together through out the day (just VW's) so that you won't mingle with the Lotus's/Porsche's/Scooby's/Evo's and other exotic machinary that will be there.

What do you think of that?

It'll be a lot safer as we all know each other at least and respect each other's driving limits.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seems a good idea to me, avoids getting in way of much quicker cars. let us know how oyu get on

going to have to sort some better tyres for that. waiting for photographer to send me pics through post, then will post up all i got.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yeah. Currently have a face like a strawberry.

hmmm not sure i'd wana be a pasenger, much prefered going up to avon rise as driver at 135-140[:p]
I remember pulling to the side to let you pass when I was out with the instructor. Thought to myself, I'll back off a bit to give him more room but you were past before I had chance to act. That's a damn fast car mate.....and amusingly stealthy with it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember pulling to the side to let you pass when I was out with the instructor. Thought to myself, I'll back off a bit to give him more room but you were past before I had chance to act. That's a damn fast car mate.....and amusingly stealthy with it.
must have been damn noisy to, got real loud in the car, especally when you go down past the pits, flat out. exhaust was popping like mad after few laps [:)]

got in-car footage on video cam, not sure if i can get it onto pc or not.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had a fantastic day too[:D] Pulled a deal for all the photos of me on CD for so I can print off to hearts content :)

Great company from you guys (Mark Reading, Blue V5, Spanner, Chungster, Starry and anyone else I met but forgotten!), half decent weather (the rain didn't come to much) and not too busy out on track. I also took advantage of the free instruction and it really was worth it.

<cough> You forgot ME!....anyhow here's my review >>>>>> SLIDE SHOW OF ME ON TRACK <<<<<<

My first session of the day was with the instructor which was an excellent insight and calmed any nerves of taking a car on the track fror the first time. 3 laps with the instructor at the wheel followed by the remaining time of the session with myself driving under his guidance - The fact free added to the value on top of the free track time that didn't eat into the 3 half day sessions I had bought. Well done Autometrix!!

So onto my first real session, nerves were still there but not so much - took about 3/4 laps to get into the swing of things without having the instructor correcting you. Good session but quite a busy one.

Session two, this was absolutely excellent there was only 5 or 6 cars on the track apart from the "Silver Audi" - he overshot/came off several times in front of me after the chicane before tower, but I finally got by not quite before tower (my first overtake ;) ) and got away from his less than safe antics. I am not sure if it was the driver or the handling of the vehicle.

Session three, again there was only a few of us go onto the track, I was lined up behind an old Audi (not the silver one), as we started this was significantly slower than me so quietly crept by between quarry and the esses on the first lap...to lead the session ... on the penultimate lap I managed to "lap" the Audi I hade taken on the first lap at the same place. On the final lap after the chequered flag I let by a blue MKIV who appeared a lot quicker than me - who then came out of quarry very wide and took a touch of the grass so I passed him and cruised back to the pits...

On the whole a fantastic day, the Red Golf/Audi session was fun to watch - as were many of the cars. Not too much panel damage went on but I think a few unhappy engines (smoke scirroco and an S2 to name a couple)

Oh and the Volkswagen Racing dude who spun the car...Did anyone note AMD's GTi it looked like it had a chassis problem or something...the wheel offset looked a bit iffy...

Good to see some of the faces off the forum na.

Oh and yeah windburn me up!

·
Registered
445 Posts
my face looks like ive sandblasted it[:O]. appart from that, a great day and some cracking cars on and off track, also some good pic's of you guys and gall[;)] out on the track. i was a little gutted as i have an engine mount gone( i think) so could not go out and join in the fun. but i did do a so say slow lap with my little boy in the car and that was great as we had 3 laps at 3 figure speeds free..anyway same time next year i think... oh yeah and ill second the trade stand issue, cash on hip and no one to take it off me...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts