Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 51 plate Golf mk4. It's got the standard head unit plus the CD player just above it.

At the moment I use one of the belkin cassette adapters for listening to my ipod mini in the car but the sound quality's not that good.

Has anyone attempted to fit an ipod in another way - directly into the stereo or anything?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've fitted my ipod into my vw satnav using a dension icelink and it sits in a cradle on my dash. It plugs into the cd changer slot on the back of your standard hu. The sound quality is awesome you cant tell it apart from a cd. Search google for the dension icelink and the brodit proclip to find the best prices.

hth

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent. they look dead good.

is there not a cheap and cheerful way of doing it by just routing a cable from the back of the gamma radio straight into the ipod? i guess it depends on what connections the back of the gamma unit has. is it likely to have an L and R output via phono connectors?

·
Registered
602 Posts
As far as i can remember you can buy an adapter from halfords to give you left and right pre-outs for connecting an amp, but as you rightly suggest these are outputs not inputs so would be no good for your application.

To be honest i looked into making something myself to do this and in the end thought i may as wel cough up the cash and get the proper unit and im glad i did, you can either control the ipod with the hu or as i do using the ipod interface. It will also charge your ipod whilst its being used or for 2hrs after if you leave it in the car. I find this handy as i use my pod at work so it gets a good recharge on the way home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i see there are some other posts on having just a cable with a jack connector on one end and an ISO connector on the other - this would do me just fine. the other posts however don't seem to have any specific details on what kit will work with the gamma hu.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
that doesnt work! i got the 3.5mm jack to mini-iso and plugged it in! pressed 'Select' on the CD player and it couldnt see it. There is only a signal, no electronics to say its there if u get me!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah that's what i thought. is there any other way of doing it other than the dension method?  i thought you would have been able to buy some sort of cable and connector.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
IIRC Autoleads do a lead that connects to the Mini-ISO and has a headphone jack at the other end.

Im sure I read that somewhere . . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's the sort of lead I'm on about although according to paulgt above that type of lead will not work

shame really as it would have been just what i'm after.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it definitely doesn't work, i tried it at the weekend. Also, don't bother with the cut up credit card idea to get the HU out, its a real pain and a set of keys is only ?6 and SO much easier!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
surely this connector and cable would work though: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=77&cadid=6a1b9791070379defdce80a5ab5e5876

if that sort of cable wont work how come they sell it?
i have that exact lead sitting upstairs cos it doesnt work! The Gamma may be made by blaupunkt, but for some reason it doesnt work! Where i bought it from, cant remember, had a note saying it wouldnt work with gamma/beta headunits! Bought it anyway, now its wasted!

EDIT: here we go! http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/auxin.asp

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yah there are quite a few diffrent setup going on vwvortex. My favorite is this one:

Posted Image

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=53
yeah i loked into that one for the stealthness of it but the docking station bit cost about ?100 and i was led to belive that you still have to have a denson or similar to connect up to it. Also if you were in 3rd or 5th gear it wouldnt be too easy to see the display or operate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts