Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all
I noticed that there was a slight vibrating noise coming from the engine bay tonight. The vibrating noise stops when slightly rev it.
The other thing is if I'm sat still on tick over and just slightly turn the steering wheels something makes a noise, sort of a squeaky grinding kind of noise. It does it if I turn the wheel slightly either way.
If I slightly rev the car it doesn't do it.
Any ideas please. I had two new font Tyres on Saterday but they seem fine
Cheers

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've just had the bonnet up and can't see anything amiss but it seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine. It sounds like a vibrating noise. Only faint and it seems to be something to do with the steering

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine does this too, gonna drop it into Lion garage tomorrow. The sound is coming from drivers side, near the alternator?

Mine does it pretty much all the time now when under 1100 revs, and worsens when I steer, full lock then makes the belt screech too, nice!

I will report back when I know more :)

EDIT: Also I've checked my steering fluid level and it's all okay! (Maybe even too full) My dad seems to think it might have something to do with the Power Steering pump. Doesn't matter what temperature the engine is, either. Does it in the morning and after a drive to Leeds and back (200 miles)

Harry

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also just read on the forums that when steering the pump puts strain on the alternator belt pulley so could be that if its on its way out? How many miles you got on the clock?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The screech on full lock sounds like classic alternator pulley to me, mine does it. Need to get round to sorting it out but requires £60 pulley and £15 special tool [N]

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've checked the power steering fluid level this morning. It's on minimum mark. Would this cause the problem

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cool.
I topped my fluid up. To be honest it wasn't as low as I thought it was. I only had to put a tiny bit in to bring it up to marker. So that rules that out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Okay so I took it into Lion garage this morning and he knew what it was within 2 seconds of lifting the bonnet!

He pointed at the alternator pulley and said, that shouldn't be moving THAT much. It was wobbling like crazy to be fair. Here's a pic of mine so you can locate your noise, if it's the same thing:

Posted Image

So the power steering puts pressure on the alternator and the pulley is dying, so it needs to be replaced, and as JHB said the part is about 60 quid and a special tool, but I checked it into the garage as he said he'd do it all for between 80-100. They seemed real good guys so I gave them the benefit of doubt. He said on my mileage(300-500 a week) it will go fast but it's been doing it for 2 weeks so far, and is apparently a common problem.

I just uploaded a vid on YouTube also, you can hear the difference in noise between when I press the accelerator and let go at 0:32 and 0:41

Thanks JHB (for making the discussion with the mechanic easier for me!)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xaser. That's spot on what mines doing. Cheers for that.
Looks like I got to get a alternator pulley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts