Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Going by my stock wheel size of 6.5" ET42:

The 8" with ET42 will "grow" 1.9cm both on the outside as well as in the inside. On the outside it should be fine, and fit nicely flush to the fender line...the problem is the inside...it might hit in the front shock absorber...the inside of the rear one I think there's a little more roomn so no problems there.

BTW, check out an online offset calculator to see for yourself

Heres one:

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also, keep in mind that they don't tell you what the center bore is for those wheels! Maybe you can buy rings to adapt the size, but that is only when they are bigger than your car's...if they're smaller then you can't mount them. A lot of weird brands, replicas, multibolts, are a little vague when describing their products because sometimes they don't fit right. [:mad:]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just phone the company and they said they'd provied the correct spigot rings to suit the bore and said they should go on ok but 42et is the highest offset they'd recommend. I'll have to get my wheels off and see what offset they are at the moment.

Umm decisitions, should I just buy them and worrie about it later?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Proper link if needed:

[link]http://www.alloywheels.com/product.asp?P_ID=2653&V_ID=144062&strKeywords=Alloy%20Wheels&strSort=Low&Make=Volkswagen&Model=Golf%20Mk4&strSize=all[/link]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have i got this right? my wheels now are 35et and i have no problems at all and have a bit of play to the arch. if i got 10mm spacers for the front and 20mm for the back it should bring the wheels out enough to clear the struts and bring the rears closer to the body

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you play around with the offset calculator from the link you'll see that the new wheels are going to be "moved" inward towards the inside of the car about 7mm...how much "bit of play" do you have on the inside in yours now? If it's more than 7mm you're ok....I mean you need those 7mm plus a little more mm's to be safe....but I think you don't have that much right?

If you still want to go ahead and buy those wheels then you'll have to use spacers...play around with the calculator to determine how much to clear and suit your taste. It's too bad....if I were to get new wheels I would get ones that sit nice without spacers....but sometimes they don't come as you want them to I guess.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ideally I'd do the same as you and try and get them with a smaller offset, but they dont make them with a smaller offset. So looks like I'll have to get some spacers. Phoned awesome and they advised that if they were the wheels I want to get them then mesure for the spacers to make sure I get the right stance I want.

I'll take plenty of pics and put them up as I do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts