Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days my PD150 has been juddering a little mainly in the lower rev range, it just doesnt feel smooth and feels like a split second lack of power, then it is fine for a short while. If it happens and i put my foot down a little, i get a puff of smoke.

I was hoping its just my inlet manifold needs cleaning as the shudder valve keeps sticking so i presume its full of soot. If it is this, is it a job that could be done by myself (open ended question i know)?

Secondly, which has just hit me like a ton of bricks, i recently had the wrong oil in there for around 6 months, i put Shell Helix Diesel Plus in when it should have been the Quantum PD oil. Could this be the injectors or 'pump injectors' gone? If so whats it gonna cost and wheres the best place to ge this done. If it is this ill be paying dearly for my STUPID mistake. Lets hope its the first fault eh!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Eek, sounds expensive [:S] at 1st i thought MAF but after you said about the oil it may well have damaged the injectors [:(] local garage will obviously be cheaper but dealer will be able to diagnose it properly, seeing as though they see the PD engines every day...your call!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When you see hoofprints, look for horses. Not zebras.

First, try cleaning the egr valve and associated plumbing. See if clamping shut the vacuum hose to the egr valve helps keep things clean.

It can be done diy, but as always it depends how competent you are.

From there, start to look closely at the engine plumbing for leaks, unplugged hoses and solenoids, etc.

More than likely this problem is caused by some of the control plumbing or valves. Don't panis about the injectors just yet, although I'm assuming you are now on the correct oil?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, as soon as i found out i stuck the Quantuum PD oil in there. It seems to be worse than it was yesterday now, its like theres a temporary blockage for a second, then it picks up again.

Think ill buy a vag com to see if theres any error codes been thrown up.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Mate

There is a boost hose unber the engine.

These are so common for popping off.

Could be worth a check over with a competant garage to check all round the engine.

I would say get that checked out before you go condemming anything expensive

Sarah

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, ill have a look over the weekend, Just ordered my vagcom today so will see if it throws anything up in regards to errors also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I await your diagnoses Tony, ive noticed a lot more smoke pretty much constant today driving to work, and juddering a bit more now. Had a very quick look in the engine bay tonight and all appears to be ok, will ceck hoses underneath sat/sun and my vag com is coming tomorrow so ill post if it picks anything up, which might save you a trip.

Thanks again all, makes you glad your in a forum like this :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Judging by what you're saying and what I've read here on the forum, it
seems a classic case of pipeous fallousoffous or clipous
breakous. Check all clips and pipework from the turbo to intercooler
and on to the engine. If a pipe pops of completely it would seem you'll
get total lack of boost, rough running and a hell of a lot of smoke, in
your case I would suspect a loose clip or something similar allowing a
leak. Dont Panic...... Yet

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update, when i was driving home last night (past midnight) i noticed it juddering a lot so i dropped it into 5th to give it a bit of a boot and......nothing, total lack of power, i thought straight away turbo had gone, but then realised i was probably in 'limp home mode'. Managed to get home ok and this morning it returned to normal running, but the smoke is getting more and more, its actually embarassing!

I topped up with diesel and reset my trip computer, doing 70 on the mway this morn i was only getting 37mpg.

Another thing i noticed is that im getting a lot of WHOOSH sound when i accelerate, not the turbo TSSSS, but a whoosh. Im now on lunch break so going to look for loose hoses etc.

Hope it is the hoses not summat expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Just had a look and hoses in the engine bay do look ok, but will look further into it in the warm dry of a garage.

Another thing, just checked my oil and its on the minimum, which last week it was on the max, so its burning oil quicker than the Arabs!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ tony_danza

I had a look underneath it last night and there is a hose off! The circlip is broken and the hose has imploded and pulled itself out the connection. It is located on the passenger side and as you look into the bonnet it is underneath the fan.

It goes from the big plastic pipe that goes the EGR valve and down underneath the car its about a foot long and has a bend in it.

The part # is IJ0 145 834R (it also has a green #2 on it).

Have a look at this before you take it in, as it may save you some money. Im gonna get some prices off VW and German and Swedish later so will update once i have it fitted.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, problem solved hopefully [:)]

Might be a good idea to clean the oil out the rest of the pipework??
Altho it will only get clogged again, it does seem to be a VW trait of
oil in the inlet pipework of many of its models from the MK I onwards.
There's a complete thread devoted to it on the TDI pages in the states
where people have designed breathers and seperators to help alliviate
the problem...

let us know the outcome mate.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
@ tony_danza

I had a look underneath it last night and there is a hose off! The circlip is broken and the hose has imploded and pulled itself out the connection. It is located on the passenger side and as you look into the bonnet it is underneath the fan.

It goes from the big plastic pipe that goes the EGR valve and down underneath the car its about a foot long and has a bend in it.

The part # is IJ0 145 834R (it also has a green #2 on it).

Have a look at this before you take it in, as it may save you some money. Im gonna get some prices off VW and German and Swedish later so will update once i have it fitted.
Hi mate, I'm not sure mine is that far gone yet, as I'm getting no smoke and there's no apparent loss of boost with a VAGCOM on it. I just get the hesitation with the power delivery.. could be symptomatic of this problem in the early stages?? thanks for the tip - I'll have a good look at everything tomorrow when it's light and check all the circlips/connections & for any hissing of escaping air... beats paying someone else to tell me what's wrong!

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andy,

What would i use to get the oil out the pipework? A rag and parafin? or just a rag? and how many are there?

I noticed two other pipes, one either side of the car which looked oily so ill give them a clean.

Thanks for the advice, i would have just popped the new pipe on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Andy,

What would i use to get the oil out the pipework? A rag and parafin? or just a rag? and how many are there?

I've seen on the TDI pages that people have completely removed
the intercooler and flushed out with a water/detergent mix, but you
must be **very** carefull to remove all traces of water or else you
risk engine damage!! so if there's not too much oil then I'd be
inclined to leave well alone, or if you must then a rag soaked in
something that will evaporate fairly quickly.

I noticed two other pipes, one either side of the car which looked oily so ill give them a clean.

If you trace the pipework back from either side of the intercooler
then there's your pipes! One side back to your turbo, the other to the
engine intake. But if it means breaking the pipeclips leave well alone
as you might cause more air leaks than you first started with!

Thanks for the advice, i would have just popped the new pipe on.

If there's not too much oil then so would I......

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Hi mate, EGR valve cleaned today, apparently looked like it was made of coal! VAGCOM doesn't pick up the valve sticking open, so I'm starting here and seeing if it happens again?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts